Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

glaswegian wrote: »
    Cheers,is delivery free to Ireland with amazon and can I pay via PayPal?
    Thanks.

It is free for orders above 20 or 25 GBP. But in majority of cases there would be a 3% surcharge compared to UK price because higher VAT in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

joujoujou wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd remove Mini cable and put ITB cable in there. Better safe than sorry.

Might just have to do that alright, only thing is the mini one is hardwires in to the back of the radio I think so I'll have to see how the guy did it and try copy it with the ITB one, or else get him back out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

grogi wrote: »
    It is free for orders above 20 or 25 GBP. But in majority of cases there would be a 3% surcharge compared to UK price because higher VAT in Ireland.

Another alternative would be to get it shipped to a Parcel Motel/Address Pal if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

grogi wrote: »

Thanks for your info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Looking to get a dash cam myself. Just want a mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511378931&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=yi+dash+cam&psc=1

My current dashcam is the below:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RWVLBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to miss a few minutes here and there of recording and doesn't seem reliable. The manual is in broken english as well and tbh I don't trust it. Is the Yi more reliable/better and have a well written manual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Looking to get a dash cam myself. Just want a mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511378931&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=yi+dash+cam&psc=1

My current dashcam is the below:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RWVLBC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to miss a few minutes here and there of recording and doesn't seem reliable. The manual is in broken english as well and tbh I don't trust it. Is the Yi more reliable/better and have a well written manual?

I don't have a Yi but they are made by Xiaomi so should be pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Quick question. Just got myself a NextBase 512GW yesterday. Impressive piece of kit. But how do you increase the recording length to over the 5 minute maximum that's shown in the settings? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Does the Yi have night vision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yes
    For that price it'll be hard to beat I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Patww79 wrote: »
    Only had it since yesterday, so I haven't used it at night yet. I'm out in the country (no street lighting), so it might be of limited use at night anyway. The software that comes with it seems overly complicated; I've just viewed the video directly from the SD card using the standard Windows video player. No great problems with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

blueser wrote: »
    [...] I'm out in the country (no street lighting), so it might be of limited use at night anyway. [...]

For that very reason I'd also be interested in seeing night footage from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No dashcam has true 'night vision'

You have two options:

- Increased sensitivity in low light, most dashcams will give decent video from your headlights. But will never match a human eye. Remember, you can always alter the brightness of the footage afterwards, but you'll sacrifice detail. Likewise, the speed at which the camera can adjust from brightness (i.e. A headlight flash) to darkness is very important. Most dashcams fall down here.

- Infrared or bright LEDs. These are largely a gimmick as they'll reflect off your windscreen, blinding the camera, and most cameras cut infrared with a filter before it hits the sensor anyway. You also need a lot of LEDs to make any sort of dent, and your headlights will out power them. Basically, if your DVR has them, turn them off.

If you want true night vision, you need a FLIR system, but then you won't be able to read a registration plate and you'll need some serious spare change.

I often say to people, you're not trying to catch someone in stunning 60FPS 1080HD nor will be asked by CSI to enhance your footage. You'll probably need 10s of video or perhaps a few mins of audio, that's it. If you are missing a crucial detail, your DVR isn't going to get you out of it and by Murphy's law, and from years in the in-car camera business, I can assure you that your DVR will either be off, not be recording or slightly out of frame when you need it most.

TL;DR, just buy the DVR with the best reviews and hard wire it. Check the car every week or so, and drive. Don't fuss too much, they are nearly all the same on the inside anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My BMW 335d, good economy with great performance (over 350bhp):
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2006-bmw-3-series/14229330

Taking offers, needs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi folks.

My nextbase 402G is giving me some bother. It's about 2 years old. It's hardwired to the car and I rarely mess with it or check the chip.

Today I took it in and discovered that it is skipping as it records. I'm missing bits of journeys.

I wiped the sd card and updated the software on the cam and tried again. Now the camera is creating the files on the card but they won't open. I keep getting an unhelpful error message.

My wife's car also has the same camera etc, so I said I'd have a look at her's. Sure enough the exact same problem.

I was having a look online and one place suggested that I need to get a high endurance chip because a standard one will fail after a few months because of the camera is continuously writing to the chip.

Any ideas or comments on the above?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    SD cards do have a write limit before they start to fail. Try a spare card and see if its better.

I don't have a spare Micro sd to try!! I just hope it's the card and not the camera. Think I might buy this card to see if it helps:

https://www.memoryc.ie/19820-32gb-transcend-high-endurance-microsdhc-card-cl10-w-sd-adapter.html

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dont have one in a phone or some cameara? That's a decent card, pricey for what it is as you could buy two "normal" SD's for that price.

I hear what you are saying about the price but I don't mind paying the money if it is a good job. I think I'll chance it to see if it works. I can get a second one for the wife's car if it sorts the problem.

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Hi folks
    I am having a bit of trouble with the DDPai M6 dash cam.
    All three lights on etc. i can see the live vid on my phone but when I take out the card there is no files on it, Is there a record button i should be pressing before i start the drive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I got a DashCam for Christmas and I have no interest in it,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074X2S1SF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

anyone any idea where I could sell it besides Adverts

Thanks

yeah, thanks, I know donedeal is good for some stuff, I've sold lots on there before but I am a little unsure of where to sell this avoiding all the messers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone have any issues with their DDPAI M6 Plus?

I was away for 2 weeks and my mother had the car. She was only doing small trips and as such, the car battery went flat. She got it jumped, and all is working fine now, except my DDPai is no longer working!

I have the solid green & red lights to show it's receiving power, but thats about it. It's not broadcasting its wifi network, and the camera snapshot button does nothing, and it's no longer recording video!!

Has what has so far been an excellent Dash Cam been found out as not up to the task? Is it time to get a Nextbase?

• Advertisement

I haven't done any updates in months.

I checked the card, and it recorded for a full 10 days after I left when my mother was using it, right up to when the car battery died (Christmas eve)(so obviously that was the beginning of the issue)

Why not buy a Nextbase? reviews seem decent enough (was thinking the 312GW)

What are y'all running as a dash cam these days?

(My 1st ever dash cam, a mini 0801 is still performing flawlessly in the rear, and it's coming up on 3 years old, since I got it, I've had a mini 0806 and now the DDPai up front, and both have had issues)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I only got this a present so no updates yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Any opinions on the Garmin Dash Cam 55? It's on sale over in Halfords but the reviews on Amazon aren't great.

I also like the idea of installing properly rather than plugging into the cig. Do Halfords do a good job of this? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

anyone any idea where I could sell it besides Adverts

I sold a lot of stuff recently using a local Facebook buy and sell group. There were still a few messers but not a bad experience.

oakshade wrote: »
    I sold a lot of stuff recently using a local Facebook buy and sell group. There were still a few messers but not a bad experience.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭uncle-mofo

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/golf/2008-volkswagen-golf/13992927

2008 diesel golf here, vast majority of miles were covered on the motorway and on long trips. Running great, cheap tax and great on diesel. Looking to get rid as I've a new car lined up, all offers considered!

I'm in 2 minds now between getting the following Dash Cams;

I've still not entirely given up on the DDPai M6 Plus - but I'd say it's goose has probably been cooked, which is a shame as it was a really good camera.

YI 2.7K Ultra - Its relatively new, and Techmoan seems to like it, however it's not as discreet as the mini2 as it has a screen (owning the DDPai M6 Plus proved I don't need a screen on my dash cam) - Another downside to the YI is the video files aren't compatible with MAC OS - This is an issue for me.

DDPai mini2 - very nice and discreet looking, and I already have the DDPai app, however it's a DDPai, and I've just been let down by a DDPai!!

Only downside to both is they don't have GPS (which isn't a deal breaker, but having had GPS on my last 2 cams (mini 0806 & DDPai M6 Plus), It's a feature I'd probably like to keep) - Anyone have any other recommendations in a similar price range?

I'm not sure, I believe I bought it within the last 12 months or so.

I need to get onto them for some support.

edit: bought it in November 2016

Thing is I can't find the order in my Amazon history, yet can find the Amazon confirmation emails of when I ordered/bought it!!

I've just sent DDPai a message via their website, so hopefully they can get back to me with some tips on how to get it going again.

I tried the reset button (press for 10+ seconds) but nothing (though I did do this with the camera receiving power)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

http://www.adverts.ie/14502817
    Bought this a few months ago to do some towing, but it never happened.
    It's now surplus to my requirements, if my insurance wasn't so dear I'd keep this and get rid of the e90.
    Cheap comfortable motoring, and it should fly the next nct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I currently have a Mini 0805 but the sound doesn't always work on it anymore.

Anyone got one of the new Mini 0805P dash cams, any opinions on it ? Looks like they replaced the battery with a capacitor, this one also includes a hardwire kit.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-0805P-HD-1296P-Car-Dash-Cam-Dashcam-Video-Recording-GPS-Camera-DVR-New/222745898666?hash=item33dcb0aeaa:g:wo4AAOSw1QpaKAy-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I love their "flash sale" at £63.99. If you click the "8 sold" link, you'll see they used to sell it for £58 and then £53 before that!

What is the life expectancy of dash cams? What are peoples experiences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

TheBody wrote: »

I had an early no-name chinese one that lasted about six months.

Then two mini 801s, one of which failed (battery I think) at about 14 months. Traded both these in at halfords for 2x nextbase 312gw. These are both still fine after 18 months but do need firmware updates regularly.

The next amazon order I make will have two replacent sd cards for the next base cameras to hopefully fend off any issues with card write limits.

My ideal camera would be the size of the mini 801 but more reliable.

Just to say it's one camera per car 😀

TheBody wrote: »

Mini 0801 - 3 years old and still working 100%

Mini 0806 - about 1 year before it became unreliable and it would stop recording without notice on certain journeys

DDPai M6 Plus - about a year before it bricked itself!!

Just ordered a DDPai mini 2 - hopefully get more than a year out of it.

Unregistered Users

Itronics ITB100HD bought 5 years ago (end of 2012) still going like new.

Two Mini0805 bought 2 years ago - apart from occasional freezes, one goes well, another one records fine (picture and sound I mean), but give no startup/shutdown sounds after recent firmware update - going back to previous firmware did not solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have a NextBase 402G that is showing up with "Please insert SD card" errors. Formatted the card and currently have it connected to the PC and files are showing up fine. I already formatted the card which didn't seem to help. I had this issue last year and got a new SD card. Don't want to spend another €30.

SD card shouldn't die in a year, never had one die between several phones and a GoPro so I'm blaming the camera. Anyone with similar issues?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have a NextBase 402G that is showing up with "Please insert SD card" errors. Formatted the card and currently have it connected to the PC and files are showing up fine. I already formatted the card which didn't seem to help. I had this issue last year and got a new SD card. Don't want to spend another €30.

SD card shouldn't die in a year, never had one die between several phones and a GoPro so I'm blaming the camera. Anyone with similar issues?

Yes, read up a few posts about my current problem.

I’m waiting for a new “endurance” card to come in the post. I’m hoping that will fix the problem. I’ll post back when I see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I currently have a Mini 0805 but the sound doesn't always work on it anymore.

Anyone got one of the new Mini 0805P dash cams, any opinions on it ? Looks like they replaced the battery with a capacitor, this one also includes a hardwire kit.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-0805P-HD-1296P-Car-Dash-Cam-Dashcam-Video-Recording-GPS-Camera-DVR-New/222745898666?hash=item33dcb0aeaa:g:wo4AAOSw1QpaKAy-

cormie wrote: »
    I love their "flash sale" at £63.99. If you click the "8 sold" link, you'll see they used to sell it for £58 and then £53 before that!

Maybe the previous prices didn't include the hardwire kit ? Regardless £63 or £64 seems to be the going price for the Mini 0805P on ebay from UK suppliers.

Reading some of the recent posts it seems that in general dashcams aren't exactly very reliable if you get a couple of years out of them you are doing well !

• Advertisement

Just received & installed a DDPai mini 2

Initial impressions are good. Good video quality (I've it set to 1080 and not the 2k). Its neat & tidy, and quite hard to spot from the outside unless you're looking for it. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Only issues (which I knew about before buying) is the SD card isn't readable on a mac, but I've found a way around this by using my 'spare' G1W as a card reader in Mass Storage mode, meaning I can access the card and pull files, as I like to store files & do videos with iMac/iMovie, it's odd that I can't use a standard SD card reader, or even the Nextbase 112 below, it only works with the G1W!

Also, the first video of the 2 journeys I made today had the sound & video off sync by about 10 seconds, this corrected though once onto the following video file. I'll keep an eye on this, but seem to remember the M6 Plus doing the same when I first got it.

(I've also just sent my DDPai M6 Plus (which bricked last week) back to China, they said they'd fix it for me and return it, and cover my postage cost, so we'll see how that turns out)

Also arrived in the same delivery was a Nextbase 112 (bought for my mothers car), and I have to say it's a really nice little unit, feels very well built, and it's nice and compact with not a huge suction cup mount. Being only 720p won't really be an issue, as I only want it to be reliable, and to record at a basic enough quality, which it seems to do.
    I'll give it a week or 2, and if there are no issues, I might get another to replace the G1W I use when in rental cars, as it's been getting battered about for a good 18 months or so now, and its starting to show some wear & tear (there are cracks showing on the body of it where the mount clips on, so someday it'll break, and be un-mountable).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement