Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Got my first dashcam installed over the weekend. My gf got me the Nextbase 512gw. Impressed so far.

Picked up the hardwire kit from Halfords and got it installed handy enough, and nice and tidy.

Strange feel way more protected driving around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hi all.
    Im getting new car next week and Im looking to get dash cam up to 100euro.Small in size with decent spec.Looking to buy on amazon but there is so many to choose from.Any recommendations what to get?Must have wifi ,doesnt have to have screen.Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi all.
    Im getting new car next week and Im looking to get dash cam up to 100euro.Small in size with decent spec.Looking to buy on amazon but there is so many to choose from.Any recommendations what to get?Must have wifi ,doesnt have to have screen.Thx

I haven't used one myself but this seems to be one of the best budget cams out there
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Dashboard-G-sensor-Emergency-Recording-Grey/dp/B076M3RPHS/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521104954&sr=1-17&keywords=dash+cam+wifi&refinements=p_36%3A-10000

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

h3000 wrote: »

Here's the same cam for 26.99stg:

EDIT. This camera is not as good as the one linked above. Not as wide a field of view and a smaller aperture. I would pay the extra if you have the cash.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Compact-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-C1A/dp/B078D6CCDH/ref=sr_1_2

Only for the next hour and a half though as it's a daily deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Compact-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-C1A/dp/B078D6CCDH/ref=sr_1_2

Slightly different as this one is 130 degrees wide, whereas the silver one is 160 degrees, minor difference though and not a deal breaker (£27 is excellent value though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Quick question regarding saving footage to a PC.
    Ive saved several videos onto my PC but when i try to view them, its just a black screen? Anyone any ideas what im doing wrong?

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Ive saved several videos onto my PC but when i try to view them, its just a black screen? Anyone any ideas what im doing wrong?

Have you tried using a different video file player? something like VLC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Kevwoody wrote: »

Do you have sound? You might be missing a codec for the video? Try downloading and installing a codec pack from here https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement

Slightly different as this one is 130 degrees wide, whereas the silver one is 160 degrees, minor difference though and not a deal breaker (£27 is excellent value though)

Great catch. I think paying the extra is worth it in this case.

Have you tried using a different video file player? something like VLC?

That done the trick, thank you!

h3000 wrote:
    Do you have sound? You might be missing a codec for the video? Try downloading and installing a codec pack from here

I got sorted, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

EDIT. This camera is not as good as the one linked above. Not as wide a field of view and a smaller aperture. I would pay the extra if you have the cash.

You can get the "better" one for 30.99 as i just did

Redeem voucher, get £9 off
    3093cc90ee82032c5d1990b3730a06ce.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

!!! Bargain alert !!!

UK Stock VIOFO A119 with GPS 1440P

UK Stock VIOFO A119S with GPS 1080P Sony sensor, reviews on dashcamtalk say much better for night time footage.

Free Royal Mail shipping to Ireland, extra 20 off with promo code BARZDVI4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

inforfun wrote: »

Have you a link to that and what voucher code did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Pique wrote: »
    Just a heads up on Micro SD cards for dash cams.

Sandisk do not honour warranties on their cards if used in Dash Cams apparently. I had a Sandisk Extreme which died within a couple of months of being used in a dashcam. They're not supposed to be used for constant write/overwrite for hours at a time on a daily basis.
    They have released a High Endurance version specifically for dash cams. Argos have them here

Just received my Yi dashcam - am now looking to purchase an SD card. The link to Argos above is broken - could anyone advise which SD card is suitable? Thanks in advance.

Have you a link to that and what voucher code did you use?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076M3RPHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click on the promotion box in yellow.
    Redeem voucher, go to check out and see the £9 being deducted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kaymin wrote: »
    Just received my Yi dashcam - am now looking to purchase an SD card. The link to Argos above is broken - could anyone advise which SD card is suitable? Thanks in advance.

I bought this below which was recommended by someone earlier on this thread:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XFSZGCC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

kaymin wrote: »
    Just a heads up on Micro SD cards for dash cams.

Sandisk do not honour warranties on their cards if used in Dash Cams apparently. I had a Sandisk Extreme which died within a couple of months of being used in a dashcam. They're not supposed to be used for constant write/overwrite for hours at a time on a daily basis.
    They have released a High Endurance version specifically for dash cams. Argos have them here

This is the one that is specified for Dash Cams.
    https://www.mymemory.ie/sandisk-32gb-high-endurance-micro-sd-card-sdhc-adapter-20mb-s.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

TheBody wrote: »
    As promised, here is the info you need. I ordered a 3.7volt 250mAh 502030 lithium polymer battery. I bought mine from user tesky12 on ebay but they seem to have closed for the Chinese new year! See:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/tesky12

There are LOADS of other suppliers though. For example:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5pcs-3-7v-250mAh-502030-Li-polymere-Pile-rechargeable-pour-GPS-Lecteur-PSP/272406060156?hash=item3f6caa9c7c:g:0BoAAOSwzaJX-Rzl

I'll attach detailed instructions below on how to install the new battery. It's very easy. Only took around 10 mins.

Hope this helps you (and anybody else with a similar problem).

Battery arrived today (1 month from China is not bad at all) Hardest part was opening the camera casing, after that it was a doddle to replace.

Thanks again for the excellent instructions.

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Battery arrived today (1 month from China is not bad at all) Hardest part was opening the camera casing, after that it was a doddle to replace.

Thanks again for the excellent instructions.

Nate

You are welcome!

That’s great to hear. My one is working fine since I replaced mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Leonita

Hi all,

I'm new to this dashcam business. I changed my car a week ago and would be interested in getting a duocam installed (ie front and rear camera) that would be wired into the car. Any suggestions that don't include breaking the bank! TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I need to hardware a couple of Yi's. Where is the best place to get the 12v to 5v transformer kits? The Nextbase one from Halfords?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

joujoujou wrote: »
    !!! Bargain alert !!!

UK Stock VIOFO A119 with GPS 1440P

UK Stock VIOFO A119S with GPS 1080P Sony sensor, reviews on dashcamtalk say much better for night time footage.

Free Royal Mail shipping to Ireland, extra 20 off with promo code BARZDVI4

Anybody using one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not delivered yet. :P

SachaJ wrote: »
    I need to hardware a couple of Yi's. Where is the best place to get the 12v to 5v transformer kits? The Nextbase one from Halfords?

I used that one when wiring my transcend. The only thing to note is that it has a mini USB and not a micro. You can get little adapters to change these from mini to micro. But I'm not certain how well they work. It should work I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

It will be rubbish.

Get a YI, its cheap, but excellent (I recently bought 3 of them)

Does the YI come with a suction cup or do you need to buy it seperate? (amazon is indicating it comes with a stickypad?? and should buy this as suction cup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyArmor-Recorder-Windshield-DashBoard-Camcorder/dp/B06XQFP2RH/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=84A0S492N976ZDDFHX6D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

daheff wrote: »
    Does the YI come with a suction cup or do you need to buy it seperate? (amazon is indicating it comes with a stickypad?? and should buy this as suction cup

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyArmor-Recorder-Windshield-DashBoard-Camcorder/dp/B06XQFP2RH/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=84A0S492N976ZDDFHX6D

My YI from Amazon only came with a sticky pad and that was the exact suction cup I bought from Amazon for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

daheff wrote: »

I bought that exact suction cup for my YI. It has multiple adapters including one that fits the YI dashcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

BlackVue DR650S-1CH Dash Cam is it any good at night?
    what is the sound like?
    any more info i should know thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I went by some of the good advice given here and got myself a YI compact.
    Wired into car but not in use as still awaiting SD card.
    I gave it a couple of hours in the car to charge. Messed about a bit (settings) and it died after 5 mins. Charged it again off a micro USB (phone one). Took about 25 mins and the charge light went out. Fired it up (battery bars at max) did the settings/Wi-Fi etc and it's dead after 10 mins.

I know it's a small unit and the battery won't be that big, but 10 mins !!:eek:

What do ye think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Dash cams will only ever last a few minutes on the internal batteries. They are not designed to be used for any longer period of time. This is normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Harcrid wrote: »
    Dash cams will only ever last a few minutes on the internal batteries. They are not designed to be used for any longer period of time. This is normal.

On most the battery's only really there for the motion sensor activation (carpark mode).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    On most the battery's only really there for the motion sensor activation (carpark mode).

and to ensure the last clip being recorded gets saved safely in the event of the power being cut off.

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I went by some of the good advice given here and got myself a YI compact.
    Wired into car but not in use as still awaiting SD card.
    I gave it a couple of hours in the car to charge. Messed about a bit (settings) and it died after 5 mins. Charged it again off a micro USB (phone one). Took about 25 mins and the charge light went out. Fired it up (battery bars at max) did the settings/Wi-Fi etc and it's dead after 10 mins.

I know it's a small unit and the battery won't be that big, but 10 mins !!:eek:

What do ye think ?

bf4efb100cc9c7cd30a55e8d0ab6e7e3.png

Unfortunately you would need one of these if they came with a proper battery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

bf4efb100cc9c7cd30a55e8d0ab6e7e3.png

Unfortunately you would need one of these if they came with a proper battery

Does anyone know anywhere or anyone who'd be able to hardwire a dashcam, e.g. the YI? I wouldn't have a balooba's about doing this myself and don't want to be messing with car electrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Selling my mum's 2004 Passat TDi with 160k miles for her.

Price is firm at €900. Yrs NCT and taxed until the end of April. A couple of nuisance minor issues listed but fundamentally, a solid purchase for the next owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

givyjoe wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere or anyone who'd be able to hardwire a dashcam, e.g. the YI? I wouldn't have a balooba's about doing this myself and don't want to be messing with car electrics.

Halfords offer a service to do this. Cant recommend or not the service as i have not had it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

151 Santa fe Irish car bought new, under service contract till 2020,

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-santa-fe-crdi-7-seater/18185883

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

Mod - only one post per car, read OP again

Hooked that one up yesterday and had a short trip to see what the quality is.

Had it on 1920x1080 30fps but wasnt too impressed
    Set it to 60fps so will see what that brings.

That ADAS is annoying as hell and will make you want to drive into the Irish Sea

And i think the cigarette to usb adaptor thing they sent was knackered. Didnt work until i tried one of my own.

Edit:
    I am a dumbo.
    There are 2 folders on the sd card

0d1aed28cc30492bfcd1436123d2808c.png

The top folder actually contains the real files as it comes to quality and is actually very decent in quality
    But that should be when 3 mins of movie = 328 mb...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Mod - only one post per car, read OP again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it is not clear from the first post.
    One post per car only.
    I have updated the title so it shows better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

04 BMW 320Ci Petrol. NCT until August. €1450 but will listen to offers.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320ci-m-sport/18050774

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rob_IRL

Content deleted by moderator
    (You need more posts before you can post in this thread. Read the first post in this thread for the rules.)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

BMW F10 530d, high spec and really well looked after by me. Still looks and drives like new. Selling to get a smaller petrol for shorter trips.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-530d-high-spec-low-miles/17948301

zugtub.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Hi all

I just ordered the Vantrue N2 Pro. Does anyone else have this as I would like to know if they are happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Has anyone used https://dashcam.ie? What's your experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭honda boi

Hooked that one up yesterday and had a short trip to see what the quality is.

Had it on 1920x1080 30fps but wasnt too impressed
    Set it to 60fps so will see what that brings.

That ADAS is annoying as hell and will make you want to drive into the Irish Sea

And i think the cigarette to usb adaptor thing they sent was knackered. Didnt work until i tried one of my own.

Edit:
    I am a dumbo.
    There are 2 folders on the sd card

0d1aed28cc30492bfcd1436123d2808c.png

The top folder actually contains the real files as it comes to quality and is actually very decent in quality
    But that should be when 3 mins of movie = 328 mb...

I usually record in the highest quality,think its 2k quality?
    Is 2k at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps better at making regs out in an accident?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement