Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭honda boi

Does anyone know if a dashcam can be left continuously on recording? As in will it "burn out "?
    My current set up is my 2 dashcams are hardwired to the ignition.
    My plan is to get 2 power banks.
    Hardwire the power banks to the ignition and plug the power bank into the dashcam.
    So when I'm driving the power bank will charge and the dashcam will be recording.
    And when I turn of the car the power bank will power the dashcam.
    Dashcams I have are the xiaomi yi and mobius.
    Anyone try this on there car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

honda boi wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a dashcam can be left continuously on recording? As in will it "burn out "?

It is the memory cards that will die multiple times before the cameras will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

https://touch.adverts.ie/car/citroen/c4/2011-citroen-c4/15443323

My first time trying to sell my car privately, any feedback / recommendations welcome, price etc.

I know they're not the most desirable car, but mechanically the car has always been 100 % for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

I've had a few close shaves recently and seriously considering getting a dashcam soon.

Q: is it worth getting a rear dashcam as well? I don't want to install it myself so wondering are there any decent front/rear dashcams in Halfords where they would fit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

chewed wrote: »
    I've had a few close shaves recently and seriously considering getting a dashcam soon.

Q: is it worth getting a rear dashcam as well? I don't want to install it myself so wondering are there any decent front/rear dashcams in Halfords where they would fit it?

Depends if you want to hardwire it...
    You don't need to.

You can get away using everything that comes in the box, I just ran the cable around the window and it plugs into power outlet(cig lighter)

I have put in ddpai m6 and then m4 in sister's car and find them great.

I'm looking for another now for another car it doesn't have to be anything crazy expensive but I find at least having the front facing is better then none and also will show where you are positioned on the road and if there happens to be a bump from behind etc.

Look up eBay, Amazon etc and get something decent. No point spending €30 on something that won't last

grogi wrote: »
    It is the memory cards that will die multiple times before the cameras will.

So bad idea having them recording constantly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So bad idea having them recording constantly ?

Why? Cards are cheap...

It's the class type that makes all the difference in cards.

Why? Cards are cheap...

Like you said the cards would burn out and knowing my luck illl be driving and be in an accident and the card would be screwed :p
    Feck it I'm gonna order two power banks and try it out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I got a Yi dashcam fom Amazon today. Works great but can I charge it from a phone charger or from the computer USB port or will it blow up? I want to power it up inside the house here to have a play around with it and connect it to the phone app without having to sit in the car.

I also got one of these, great quality. I found that once fully charged via USB cable it does not last very long on its battery supply even after a full charge. Suppose that why you need to have it connected to power all the time, wither that or I got one with bad batteries.

Great value, also ordered the separate suction cup holder in stead of using the permanent 3M one provided, think it only cost 2 or 3 euro but comes form HK so takes a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Just leave it in the car and connected. I can't imagine any thief bothering to rob one. I've never heard of it to be honest.

And as for charging it in the house and bringing it out, you can do this no problem, but I wouldn't expect the camera to last any time at all. The internal batteries are tiny.

Thanks I was also wondering what people did, was not sure if it was like the old school Garmin Sat NAV's that it was better to take them out instead of coming back to a smashed window, then again Sat NAV's are a lot more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Hi All,

Anything I can do with my Mini 0806 or is it just for the bin. It no longer loops when the card is full & just beeps for format card. I have 2 x 64GB cards in but it now only picks up one & doesn't switch over to the 2nd card even though that is selected in the settings. I've replaced the cards but no joy. I saw an incident on the road this evening but on checking the camera, there is about 10 mins missing from the start of my journey. Can't rely on it anymore. Installed latest firmware but that did nothing.
    If its for the bin, any recommendations on a dashcam similar in size to the Mini 0806 & fairly discreet.

THANKS.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anything I can do with my Mini 0806 or is it just for the bin. It no longer loops when the card is full & just beeps for format card. I have 2 x 64GB cards in but it now only picks up one & doesn't switch over to the 2nd card even though that is selected in the settings. I've replaced the cards but no joy. I saw an incident on the road this evening but on checking the camera, there is about 10 mins missing from the start of my journey. Can't rely on it anymore. Installed latest firmware but that did nothing.
    If its for the bin, any recommendations on a dashcam similar in size to the Mini 0806 & fairly discreet.

THANKS.

T.

How old? And much use?

I find ddpai m6 and m4 great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why? Cards are cheap...
    Like you said the cards would burn out and knowing my luck illl be driving and be in an accident and the card would be screwed :p
    Feck it I'm gonna order two power banks and try it out .

The real deal should last ages. They arent designed for write endurance but non fakes still take a good while to kill. Buy from MemoryC/MyMemory and not some ebay seller and you should have few problems.

How old? And much use?

I find ddpai m6 and m4 great.

Mini 0806 is probably at least 2 years old & in use continuously.

Confusing myself with Dashcams on Amazon at the mo.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi All,

THANKS.

T.

I am in a similar position.
    My 0803 is making lots of funny noises and switching off and on for no particular reason
    Cant complain, I have had it for 5 or more years
    Any views on this?
    Looks discreet enough.

https://www.tomtop.com/p-pav0044b.html?currency=USD&Warehouse=CN&aid=gdmktmyly&mid=10000018494&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+Adwords&utm_campaign=TT_DMKT_YLY&utm_content=2945&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIztmG-LOQ2wIVBRfgCh2oaQlGEAEYASABEgIit_D_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just bought a new car. I'd like a decently fitted front and rear dash cam without cables everywhere. Would Halfords be able to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

There’s a “Voyager 212” 1080p dashcam for sale in Aldi on 24 May... for 59.99 euro. Anyone know anything about these? First dash cam for me.

https://voyager-systems.co.uk/products/voyager-212-dash-cam

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

How would I go about powering a YI to the rear of my mk1 Octavia with minimum fuss/expertise?

Do I have to run a cable to the front fuse box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Muppet Man wrote: »
    There’s a “Voyager 212” 1080p dashcam for sale in Aldi on 24 May... for 59.99 euro. Anyone know anything about these? First dash cam for me.

Looks like a Nextbase 212,
    http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-dash-cam-212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Muppet Man wrote: »

It supports 128GB Micro SD Card which is a huge bonus . My Nextbase holds maximum 32GB which relates to about 3 days of my driving .

Is there much of a difference between the ddpai M4 and the M6? I noticed the M6 was not currently available on Amazon. Also, strangely enough, the M6 does not feature on their website! http://en.ddpai.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Looking to sell my VW Golf. Purchased 2 years ago, selling now as received a company car in a new role in work. Never done me wrong, full service history, well looked after right up until recently (New timing belt & water pump done in March, which was a little frustrating!!). Small bit of movement in price but nothing major!

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/golf/2011-volkswagen-golf/15470132?notification=ca3f85e46c07c813887601f7329e5aa3-1526901782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

ED E wrote: »
    The real deal should last ages. They arent designed for write endurance but non fakes still take a good while to kill. Buy from MemoryC/MyMemory and not some ebay seller and you should have few problems.

I bought genuine sanDisk 32gb from myMemory and it lasted 2 months.

Looking for a high endurance version now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Lads, re the cards. Is there any advantage in formatting the card every now and then, thus wiping out the uneventful stuff before the cam starts to write over ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Lads, re the cards. Is there any advantage in formatting the card every now and then, thus wiping out the uneventful stuff before the cam starts to write over ?

My Mini 0806 is starting to play up a bit but I do find that reformatting the card does resolve the issue for another few weeks.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

h3000 wrote: »
    My Mini 0806 is starting to play up a bit but I do find that reformatting the card does resolve the issue for another few weeks.
    The very same here. Mini 0805 though.

Regarding memory card's lifespan - first card (32GB, Adata) I put into my first dashcam more than 5 years ago still working, despite everyday use. Mini 0805 and YI both have Samsung EVO Plus fitted. No problems.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Yep - apparently.

Just bought a new car. I'd like a decently fitted front and rear dash cam without cables everywhere. Would Halfords be able to do this?

Yes - but apparently some of their fitters are a bit meh. Went with Automotive solutions to fit my shiny new Nextbase 512GW to my shiny new car :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah saw that :( Thankfully I mostly drive in well lit areas around Dublin so hopefully it'll be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

How much did it cost you Samuel to get those guys to fit the dashcam. No wires everywhere yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is there much of a difference between the ddpai M4 and the M6? I noticed the M6 was not currently available on Amazon. Also, strangely enough, the M6 does not feature on their website! http://en.ddpai.com/

Both are available on Aliexpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

The M4 is the European version in English. The M6 was for the Chinese market.

john4321 wrote: »
    The M4 is the European version in English. The M6 was for the Chinese market.

Ahhh OK. that makes sense. Thanks for confirming.

Ahhh OK. that makes sense. Thanks for confirming.

I own the M4 plus very good camera. Its available on Amazon for £80.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DDPai-M4-G-sensor-Recording-Snapshot-Black/dp/B077Q72RRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527078838&sr=8-1&keywords=m4+plus

Yes, I was just looking at it now on Amazon. I also have a £50 voucher, so very tempted. Any negatives? I just want something small and discreet and have always been impressed with the reviews on this cam.

• Advertisement

Yes, I was just looking at it now on Amazon. I also have a £50 voucher, so very tempted. Any negatives? I just want something small and discreet and have always been impressed with the reviews on this cam.

I have been using it a few months now. Got it installed with a Power Magic pro to use the parking mode without the worry of the a dead battery. GPS works well and the Android app works fairly well.

I have been using it a few months now. Got it installed with a Power Magic pro to use the parking mode without the worry of the a dead battery. GPS works well and the Android app works fairly well.

Cool. Did you install the Power Magic yourself?

Cool. Did you install the Power Magic yourself?

I got a guy called Stephen from Evolution Sounds to install it. Great guy and would highly recommend.

hawkelady wrote: »
    How much did it cost you Samuel to get those guys to fit the dashcam. No wires everywhere yeah?

Not entirely sure yet as I'm not sure if I'm 'paying cash' but about €40. Really surprised at the low cost.

h3000 wrote: »

Mine doing the same. Reformatting the cards in a laptop gets me about 2 weeks but it misses segments of recording. Met a biker doing a wheelie towards me last week but the Mini 0806 only started recording 20 mins into my journey & I missed some nice footage. Needs to go.

The DDPAi Mini2 looks a little more discreet than the DDPAI M4. Is the only difference the GPS logging. The app gets some bad reviews. Is it really that bad. I guess I'd only need it once to set up the camera. Can always view the footage by putting the card in the laptop.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Mine doing the same. Reformatting the cards in a laptop gets me about 2 weeks but it misses segments of recording. Met a biker doing a wheelie towards me last week but the Mini 0806 only started recording 20 mins into my journey & I missed some nice footage. Needs to go.

The DDPAi Mini2 looks a little more discreet than the DDPAI M4. Is the only difference the GPS logging. The app gets some bad reviews. Is it really that bad. I guess I'd only need it once to set up the camera. Can always view the footage by putting the card in the laptop.

T.
    With the Mini0806 I find formatting the card using the camera menus itself works best.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

T.
    I need a replacement too. With all the tech junk at the top of my windscreen, it needs to be small. I don't need it to have a screen.

The DDPAi Mini2 looks to be ideal, but I was reading reports of overheating. Now you say the app is poor. That's disappointing.

The Xiaomi 70 minutes looks roughly the same size. Any reports of problems?

I need a replacement too. With all the tech junk at the top of my windscreen, it needs to be small. I don't need it to have a screen.

The DDPAi Mini2 looks to be ideal, but I was reading reports of overheating. Now you say the app is poor. That's disappointing.

The Xiaomi 70 minutes looks roughly the same size. Any reports of problems?

I think the app works pretty well camera, connects to the wi-fi without any issues and its easy to download emergency clips to the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Lofidelity

Hi all,

I need a dash cam for a van. It is used for daytime driving but will enter underground car parks.
    Is there any available that provides a live tracking facility? It would be useful to see where it is to reroute if necessary.
    The Nextbase 512 looks like a good all-rounder?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I replaced my mini 0806 with a DDPai M6+, it lasted a year before sh1tting the bed, so I replaced it with a DDPai mini2, and so far its worked fine for me (in almost 6 months now)

The app is fine for what it needs to do. (If I want clips off it, I just remove teh card and pull the clips the old fashioned way)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement