Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So my Nextbase 402G is fairly broken. The only buttons that seem to work are power and record. Can't access the menus to save clips or anything and also the settings have reset to default, so screen stays on and beeps everytime I turn on the car.

I haven't reset it yet as I can't find a pin so I'll try that, but the overall reliability of the camera is dreadful. So many clips are corrupt despite needing a new SD card every few months.

Is there anything that isn't rebranded Chinese crap? Looking to spend around 100-150. The plus side of the 402G is the footage is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would people have speed stamps on their car dash cam on or off. ?? eg if some fellow was tailgating you Not giving u a chance to pull in or something like that driving up ur arse & u complained to the guards & showed the video but in it you were doing 125km/h not 120km/h . Wouldnt the guards do you aS WELL??

What do you mean tailgating you and not giving you a chance to pull in? Was this on a motorway? Why couldn't you let him pass? If the dash cam shows you failing to keep left unless overtaking, I wouldn't be going to cops with the video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TigerTim wrote: »
    I just bought one of these. Thanks for the info. Just configured it in the house & fairly simple. App worked a treat. I prefer to leave Audio off so set that off & set time slots to 5 mins. Will install in the car over the weekend & see how it goes.

T.

I hope you are happy with it,
    I am still very pleased with my one.
    Though I think it may be time I updated the firmware in case I am missing out on any improvements,
    I literally fitted it and left it.

Did anyone see AXA are now offering 10% discount on policies to drivers that install a dashcam?
    They have tied up with Nextbase who in return will offer another 10% off the cost of the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Would people have speed stamps on their car dash cam on or off. ?? [...]

Off, definately off. No on-screen proof of your maybe too high speed, in case of real need to prove what speed you're at, that's usually stored in GPS data on the memory card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

vectra wrote: »

Did anyone see AXA are now offering 10% discount on policies to drivers that install a dashcam?
    They have tied up with Nextbase who in return will offer another 10% off the cost of the cameras.

Good to know, thanks :)

Edit: Although maybe they'll all start doing that, then the 10% will just become the "normal" price, but then, if more cars had dash cams fitted, maybe there'd be less bogus claims and prices would drop further :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Seems to be a bit of a shady one. Only Nextbase and only from certain retailers. I'd say there's been a paw or two greased somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Patww79 wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a shady one. Only Nextbase and only from certain retailers. I'd say there's been a paw or two greased somewhere.

I didn't see where it stated the discount was only with Nextbase cameras. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

vectra wrote: »
    I didn't see where it stated the discount was only with Nextbase cameras. :confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/motorists-offered-insurance-discount-if-they-fit-dash-cams-in-their-cars-1.3696147
    Said in the article I read just Nextbase and from several retailers. Which probably just mean stores in Ireland, know Halfords, Argos and Expert Electrical have them.

Like a house alarm I’d think it may be better not to declare it and get a discount. If you declare you’ll be required to give the footage over if you have a claim against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I'm looking for some advice guys.

I received a gift of Thinkware F770 (Front & Rear) Dashcams recently. I'm finding that the 32GB MicroSD card fills up so quickly and I want to replace it. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Unregistered Users

• Advertisement

How many recording hours would you expect to get from that card, jou?

I'm doing a lot of driving at the moment so I was thinking of going for some like a 256GB. Are some brands better than others? I say this as I've paid big money for SanDisk cards in the past and they failed within a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

cormie wrote: »
    What do you mean tailgating you and not giving you a chance to pull in? Was this on a motorway? Why couldn't you let him pass? If the dash cam shows you failing to keep left unless overtaking, I wouldn't be going to cops with the video :)

i was trying to say it pc way with no breaking law activity. it was a bad example :p:p
    anyway got my ans leave it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'm doing a lot of driving at the moment so I was thinking of going for some like a 256GB. Are some brands better than others? I say this as I've paid big money for SanDisk cards in the past and they failed within a few months.

Make sure your dashcam can handle a card over 64gb first...

This card has been recommended on here before..

Unregistered Users

2x more than 32 GB.

The cam you have cannot handle more than 64 GB, according to specs and user's reports on Dashcamtalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

joujoujou wrote: »
    2x more than 32 GB.

The cam you have cannot handle more than 64 GB, according to specs and user's reports on Dashcamtalk.

Hey Jou...are you using an A119?

Thanks to Used To Wait & JouJouJou for the card recommendations.

Unregistered Users

newmember? wrote: »
    Hey Jou...are you using an A119?
    I have to admit - not yet. Took it off the box, tested and now awaiting my laziness let me replace my old mini 0805. :o:o
    Thanks to Used To Wait & JouJouJou for the card recommendations.
    You're welcome. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Any such thing as a dash cam with multi postions around the car? Front, back and sides? All with parking mode or even recording all the time even when not being driven. 360 degree security. I would be interested in something like this if it exists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Patww79 wrote: »

It seems to be a special offer been provided by Nextbase and AXA where you get 10% of a Nextbase Dashcam from participating Retailers
    but anybody who has a Nextbase Dashcam can also avail of the 10% Insurance Discount if taking out a new policy or a renewal regardless where or when they bought it , they just inform AXA they have a Nextbase Dashcam https://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/offers/nextbase/
    offer seems to be until 31/12/2018
    im guessing get your quote and then after that before you take it , inform them you have a Nextbase Dashcam so the discount is applied then making your policy as cheap as possible
    about time a discount was given for Dashcams and surely they will have to start discounting for everyone who has a Dashcam id think soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Leonita

https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam-hdc-r-rear-dash-cam-bundle

Sorry don't know how to link properly.

€176 all in including fitting and hardwire kit.

Is this a good deal and more importantly is it a reliable kit?
    TIA

leo78 wrote: »
    https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/halfords-hdc300-dash-cam-hdc-r-rear-dash-cam-bundle

Sorry don't know how to link properly.

€176 all in including fitting and hardwire kit.

Is this a good deal and more importantly is it a reliable kit?
    TIA

Is that a Halfords own brand? Who actually manufacturers it? I did notice that to but not sure on the quality and fit and finish.

Is that a Halfords own brand? Who actually manufacturers it? I did notice that to but not sure on the quality and fit and finish.

Yes its Halfords own brand AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So I'm getting one but want it installed professionally so I don't have to.
    Recommendations for Galway city please (might just go with Halfords)

biko wrote: »
    So I'm getting one but want it installed professionally so I don't have to.
    Recommendations for Galway city please (might just go with Halfords)

That price includes them installing it professionally. I have to make an appointment for installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

Hi. So it is 25 Euro to fit the camera? My previous post didn't process (yesterday) but it didn't appear to me that the offer mentioned earlier (F+R combo. from Halfords) included installation.
    That is not too bad. I got a quote for the following from Dashcam Ireland (hard install):
    • 85 euro for a Front only Dashcam
    • 135 euro for a Front & Rear Dashcam

Might have to ring Halford's to find out about their installation process.

Anybody have experience with these particular dashcams?

Camera is 102
    Fitting 35
    There may actually be a cost for the hardwiring kit, I didn't find it anyway
    The camera is the HDC400, the highest spec Halfords have for their own cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

Camera is 102
    Fitting 35
    There may actually be a cost for the hardwiring kit, I didn't find it anyway
    The camera is the HDC400, the highest spec Halfords have for their own cameras

Cheers for the info. BIKO. Will look into it.
    Would like to install it myself, practical exercise etc. Stuck for time though atm so likely go for the hard-wired / fitted option (already have a satnav and the cabling there so trying to avoid more loose cable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

I always use which uk when buying electronic devices, I have screened there best picks

Hope it helps you out

Euro Giant have cheap €20 dash cams again. Saw them today. Might be a cheapo solution for someone on a budget or if you wanted to add a cheap second camera to the back of your car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/yi-compact-dash-cam-1080p-full-hd-w-27-lcd-screen-130-wdr-lens-g-sensor-night-vision-loop-recording-now-2399-yi-official-fba-3113144

Grabbed this as it looks like a good deal on a quality cam.

I combined this with a suction cup and 64gb SDXC card and it came to 40GBP.

Those black coloured ones wouldn't have near the image quality of the silver version. Good price for the lot though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

HI,
    looking at either the dr900 or dr750 dual camera setup.

Is it really worth the extra for the 4k video.
    Do you not need a 4k led monitor to view it - or is it the zoom of the video that will be better ?

Is 1080 good enough.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

karltimber wrote: »
    Is 1080 good enough.

720 be good enough for all you need a dash cam to be!!

Unless your making movies, you don't need teh top spec resolutions.

I settle on 1080, and it's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

Euro Giant have cheap €20 dash cams again. Saw them today. Might be a cheapo solution for someone on a budget or if you wanted to add a cheap second camera to the back of your car?

I also saw them in SuperValu for 15, I'd love to hear from someone who tried one, seems suspiciously cheap. The box claims it is 1080 but I am doubtful.

720 be good enough for all you need a dash cam to be!!

Unless your making movies, you don't need teh top spec resolutions.

I settle on 1080, and it's grand.

I'd go as high as possible to read reg plates. Not everyone who hits you is going to hang around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I'm looking for a 128GB MicroSD card for my dashcam, its an Aukey DR02D (front and rear combo) I've just ordered.

Can anyone recommended a good quality card please? Doing some research online MLC MicroSD memory cards(a lot more expensive) are recommended as others can fail over time. How much truth is in this? I'd imagine most people are using standard Class 10 Microsd cards.

I've been looking at these non MLC options:

128GB Transcend Premium microSDXC CL10 UHS-1

Samsung 128GB Evo Plus Micro SD Card (SDXC) UHS-I U3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I'm looking for a 128GB MicroSD card for my dashcam, its an Aukey DR02D (front and rear combo) I've just ordered.

Can anyone recommended a good quality card please? Doing some research online MLC MicroSD memory cards(a lot more expensive) are recommended as others can fail over time. How much truth is in this? I'd imagine most people are using standard Class 10 Microsd cards.

I'm using one of these in my Aukey DR02D for the past 6 months. No problems so far ...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JYC4XM/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Garmin Dash Cam 55 on sale as part of a lightning deal now for €94.99. Has some good reviews.

Deal ends at 11pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

I have this in my DR02D, no problems.

Toshiba Exceria M302 128GB Micro SD Memory Card 90 MB/s 4K - THN-M302R1280EA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EAKAUUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ixh-Bb66S01YX

• Advertisement

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    I have this in my DR02D, no problems.

Toshiba Exceria M302 128GB Micro SD Memory Card 90 MB/s 4K - THN-M302R1280EA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EAKAUUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ixh-Bb66S01YX

Brilliant info thanks:D

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I'm using one of these in my Aukey DR02D for the past 6 months. No problems so far ...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JYC4XM/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Brilliant info thanks Chippy01, just ordered this one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I don't have a camera but why would you need so much gb memory if its running on a loop anyway. Are they needed for the high quality cameras??

I don't have a camera but why would you need so much gb memory if its running on a loop anyway. Are they needed for the high quality cameras??

The higher quality the video the bigger the file will be, yes.

It depends on how much history you want and higher quality will mean a shorter history on a smaller card.

Plus how much video you want to save.
    Personal choice at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

https://www.adverts.ie/car/opel/insignia/2015-opel-insignia/16774702

Opel Insignia 2015 - SE model, 2.0L Diesel 140BHP 46K Miles/74K KM in excellent condition.
    One owner from new - Genuine Irish car
    Full Opel service history
    SE model with alloys - half leather seats

https://imageshack.com/i/plgfkNEFj

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nevil1

Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody knows where I could get a dashcam fitted (hardwired) in the Munster area - Cork or Limerick ideally. I know Halfords fit dashcams but they will only fit dashcams bought from them. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anywhere that fits car phones/alarms will be able to do this, it’s not particularly hard to DIY.

Carcom on Henry St. might be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nevil1

Just took a look at their website and it doesn’t mention dashcams but I’ll contact them and ask. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

+1 for Carcom
    he fitted/hardwired a dashcam front and rear to my wife’s car.

Really good bloke, been in the business a long time and knows his stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement