Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

Right so eventually got the Nextbase rear view mirror dash cam, I am looking to hardwire it the problem is there is 2 fuse boards on both sides of the car Audi A6 2016:confused:
    I was messing about with the fuse board on the driver side and got it to work the thing is the power stays on after the ignition is turned off, Any idea on what I am doing wrong ?:o

You found a permanent live. You need to find a switched live. Look at the manual online or it might be on the panel, for a switched live like a rear wiper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Damien360 wrote: »
    You found a permanent live. You need to find a switched live. Look at the manual online or it might be on the panel, for a switched live like a rear wiper.

I actually placed the fuse in what should be a video recording device thinking that there is no video recorder:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ankhyu wrote: »

Are you on the radio?!

Sorted it out this morning thanks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I told my boyfriend where it was and even he had trouble seeing it, should be okay I hope.

Car was okay this morning but the cam didn't record clips throughout the night. There's a few in the first few hours and then nothing. There definitely would have been people walking past on a Saturday night. The power bank I was using may have turned off if the camera was fully charged? I'm trying to figure it out, might just have to plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Did you have any more bother with your car Ankhyu? Was the cam any use. I haven’t used any parking guard/time lapse features myself so I can’t help you with your questions unfortunately.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Are you on the radio?!

No that was another girl whose car was one of two done on Sunday night. Herself and the other girl went to all the papers and radio stations. I was meant to be interviewed by the Examiner but I was in two minds, I was afraid of it being plastered over the media and I wouldn’t catch the f*cker because he’d go into hiding.
    h3000 wrote: »
    Did you have any more bother with your car Ankhyu? Was the cam any use. I haven’t used any parking guard/time lapse features myself so I can’t help you with your questions unfortunately.

No damage done since I got the camera. I’m eventually just gonna have to accept he might not come back and get myself proper tyres again, and hope it’s left alone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

No that was another girl whose car was one of two done on Sunday night. Herself and the other girl went to all the papers and radio stations. I was meant to be interviewed by the Examiner but I was in two minds, I was afraid of it being plastered over the media and I wouldn’t catch the f*cker because he’d go into hiding.

No damage done since I got the camera. I’m eventually just gonna have to accept he might not come back and get myself proper tyres again, and hope it’s left alone :(

There are just some bad bastards out there.... someone ripped the wing mirror off mybdaughters Beetle on New Year Eve night and smashed the mirror glass into bits and spread it across the bonnet for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Annoyed today. I have my BlueSkySea B1W for the past couple of months & very happy with it. Saw an incident at the traffic lights about an hour ago on the way home & when I went to look at the footage the camera hadn't recorded anything in the last 2 days. Ok prior to that. Everytime I start the car it says "Recording started". Not sure what happened. I just reformatted the card in the dashcam & keep an eye on it. Wonder is there a firmware update for it,

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TigerTim wrote: »
    Annoyed today. I have my BlueSkySea B1W for the past couple of months & very happy with it. Saw an incident at the traffic lights about an hour ago on the way home & when I went to look at the footage the camera hadn't recorded anything in the last 2 days. Ok prior to that. Everytime I start the car it says "Recording started". Not sure what happened. I just reformatted the card in the dashcam & keep an eye on it. Wonder is there a firmware update for it,

T.

Two things...
    Reset the cam and if it still happens try a different card.

TigerTim wrote: »

T.
    I have had similar issues before and I have found that the card is the weakspot of the system.
    You can buy cards that are specificity designed to work in cameras that will allow multiple rewrites before failing.
    I think there are several links upthread to suitable cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I have had similar issues before and I have found that the card is the weakspot of the system.
    You can buy cards that are specificity designed to work in cameras that will allow multiple rewrites before failing.
    I think there are several links upthread to suitable cards.

Thanks for the responses. Will check the card but I bought one that was recommended for the dashcam. Will keep an eye on it.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c4-1-4-petrol/20967543

Citroen C4 2006 in fantastic condition
    NCT till end of October 2019
    Tax till May 2019

timing belt/ waterpump 10km ago ( 1.5 years ago)

Cruise control, reverse sensors , electric windows.

Good tyres , always well looked after and very clean car.

Drives 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I currently have a yi dashcam for the car and while it works fine it is very basic. The main issue I have with it is that I don't find it convenient to download the clips through the app as it's slow and doesn't always seem to save clips when I press the button. That could be my fault. Anyway does anyone have any recommendations on a dashcam for €100 or less that has easier download process/some sort of auto file cloud upload perhaps? A rear camera would also be a bonus if possible. Or an I asking for too much for so little?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-coupe/21020656

Beautiful Black BMW 3201 SE 2l Sports Coupe

NCT until Jan 2020, Taxed Until April, Irish Car, Jet Black with Anthracite Fluid Cloth Interior, High Gloss Black Trim, Xenon Headlamps, 17” Original BMW Alloy Wheels, Enhanced Bluetooth Phone Functionality, 6 CD Changer, Sport Steering Wheel, Headlamp Washer System, Rain Sensor With Auto Headlight Activation, Automatic Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Two Keys. Bodywork dent free and the interior is immaculate, New Timing Chain, Spark Plugs, Coil Pack & Injectors, Full Service History. Drives very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

This is my own car here I bought as a stop gap, handy car if someone is stuck, asking 300 but will take a good offer. Newish front tyres, plugs and one coil. Slipping clutch but drives fine if you take it handy, few knocks from the front so would need work for NCT. NCT end of March and Tax until end of April.

NGE0ZjBlZTEzNGVjMTY5ZGM5ZmUzOTEwZGJlNDEwOWWY3GQ_4uhtjKfrbq5Do9w1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgyMjI0MzZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-nissan-primera-nct-and-tax/21028102

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi guys, I have a question for the experts.
    How would you hardwire a dash cam when the fuse box isn't IN the car but under the bonnet?
    In my previous car the fuse box was in the boot, with this car it's under the bonnet, am I the only one so unlucky? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Many cables go from engine bay into the car. Try to squeeze one more through. Sometimes not easy, but not impossible. Alternatively cut into cig lighter wire.

What car, by the way?

joujoujou wrote: »
    Many cables go from engine bay into the car. Try to squeeze one more through. Sometimes not easy, but not impossible. Alternatively cut into cig lighter wire.

What car, by the way?

Opel Mokka 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi guys, I have a question for the experts.
    How would you hardwire a dash cam when the fuse box isn't IN the car but under the bonnet?
    In my previous car the fuse box was in the boot, with this car it's under the bonnet, am I the only one so unlucky? :)

Very unlikely you only have one fuse box, I have 4, 1 under the bonnet, 1 in boot, 1 in drivers pilar and 1 above pedals.
    Have a look in manual or online as to their location as my most useful one is above the pedals but had to remove screws and trim to access it.

• Advertisement

Opel Mokka 2018

Quick Google tells me it is behind the glovebox.

https://www.mokkaownersclub.co.uk/forum/14-main-message-centre/5098-fuse-box-access.html

Very unlikely you only have one fuse box, I have 4, 1 under the bonnet, 1 in boot, 1 in drivers pilar and 1 above pedals.
    Have a look in manual or online as to their location as my most useful one is above the pedals but had to remove screws and trim to access it.
    Damien360 wrote: »

I'll have a better look, and let you know, but my user's manual says that the one I might need is under the bonnet.
    Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Got given a spare one of these Nextbase Duos as a gift https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-duo-hd-dash-cam

If any boardsies would like it ill do a good deal :) its brand new just powered on to be sure it works, will throw in 16gb memory card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Selling beause I am looking for change, no other reason.

Includes Multimac if person wants to buy with car, if removing I will keep

Rare car
    2015 eGolf
    Will be serviced tomorrow and full NCT will be done
    Brand new tires put on the front this week and new on the back about 2 months ago
    Very high spec

NTU5NjQ5ZjE4MTFhNmQ2NWJiMDZkY2ZlMjFkYjY1ZmIyfhCgkcXzmhnacxxdt6J_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTgzODM3MDh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-e-golf-115ps-5dr-auto-with-multimac/21048440

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

My fathers car, well serviced, fresh NCT until Jan 2020, few months tax left (06 - 19). Serviced 1.5k mls ago (fully synthetic oil and filter).

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-suzuki-grand-vitara-2-0-turbo-diesel/21074327

Update: Now Sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

That A129 with GPS & CPL is £136 on Amazon. Is that still a decent price. Thinking of getting one. I wouldn't be up to speed on these things!

I fitted the Next base rear view mirror cam the other week, When in Halfords getting the hard wire kit I noticed the price has gone down to €130 from €170 odd.
    Anyway my insurance won't be up till November so it be interesting to see if the renewal goes down due to having a dash cam fitted.

I fitted the Next base rear view mirror cam the other week, When in Halfords getting the hard wire kit I noticed the price has gone down to €130 from €170 odd.
    Anyway my insurance won't be up till November so it be interesting to see if the renewal goes down due to having a dash cam fitted.

Who is quoting a different price with dash cam ?

I have never seen any insurance questionare ask if I had a dash cam fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Be very careful with getting discounts from insurance companies especially around a dash cam. The footage could well be used against you as well as for you when it comes to assigning liability.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Be very careful with getting discounts from insurance companies especially around a dash cam. The footage could well be used against you as well as for you when it comes to assigning liability.

That's what I was thinking my insurance is not up till the end of the year anyway,But was just wondering about the discounts they suppose to offer.
    And what the catches would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

[IMG][/img]PHOTO-2019-02-23-14-38-43.jpg

This is my Fiancé's 116d 8 speed auto. Bought at 6 months old as an Ex BMW Ireland Management car. In excellent condition all round. Oyster leather, melbourne red, music streaming, rear sensors. A fantastic car but we are moving to the Middle East so it doesn't make sense to hold on to her. *Full Finance options are available to a buyer if required through a registered credit intermediary.*

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-1-series-116d-2-0d-auto/21141099

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Friends 1.4 Golf up for sale. I know this car got whatever it needed. Would have no hesitation recommending this

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-petrol/21084158

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Ford Mondeo Titanium 2011

Stunning car, only selling as now have a company car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-titanium/21158970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Selling my 2007 320i MSport, lovely car and had some fun with it, but unfortunately insurance costs twist my arm.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-320i-msport/21202049

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

Hello everyone!

Here's my Mini Cooper 1.6 Petrol is for sale to change car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-mini-cooper-1-6-petrol-low-km-new-nct/20617746

The car is very low mileage for the age and fully logged every maintenance and is really in mint condition .

- 115.000 KM
    - 6 Speed
    - 1.6 120 metric horsepower BMW Built Engine
    - 7 - 7,5 lt /100 KM Fuel Consumption
    - Auto headlight levelers
    - Air Condition
    - Cooler Glove Box
    - CD Player & Aux
    - Automatic glasses
    - Ambient lighting
    - Speed sensible wipers
    - Tyre pressure control
    - ABS
    - 2 set of Keys
    - Immobilizer
    - NCT Until December 2019 + Tax Paid Until March 2019
    - Reasonable Tax 514 yearly(You can pay up to 3 installments over revenue)

Works 100%!!! No fault no nothing!

The car can be seen around Sandyford after 6PM or at East Wall around midday.

Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭chris20

Hey folks just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I have a dash camera I'm looking to get hardwired, I have tried halfords but they wouldnt install one that wasn't purchased instore, Can anyone recommend anyone? I'm based in offaly and work in Dublin so anywhere around that area would be perfect

Thanks

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

For temporary installation you can take the power from cigarette lighter. Many drivers uses it for permanently. I took the power from the overhead console, needs only short wires. If you need help to soldering the wires to power adapter, just ask. Rest of the job you can easily DIY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

chris20 wrote: »
    Hey folks just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, I have a dash camera I'm looking to get hardwired, I have tried halfords but they wouldnt install one that wasn't purchased instore, Can anyone recommend anyone? I'm based in offaly and work in Dublin so anywhere around that area would be perfect

Thanks

Chris

What car have you got?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

w211 wrote: »
    I took the power from the overhead console, needs only short wires.

Is there a switched power supply in the overhead console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is there a switched power supply in the overhead console?

I'd personally prefer to just use a fuse tap at the fusebox.
    No interference with other wires.
    But each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

5x20mm fuse holder with wires cost only 9 cents on China. The fuse 2 cents. Works. If you need the blade type fuse holder, these cost on China about 60-90 cents. Overhead console have dedicated fuse on fuse box.

If you really like to install dedicated fuse for camera on fuse box, use the pigtail. The old and new fuse will share the same power source. Good option for low power equipment as camera.

To make the original cigarette lighter DC to DC converter smaller, there are possible to dismantle the case and use only the PCB. There are couple of options, use low profile plastic case or wrap it to the electrical tape. I used the last option. If the DC to DC converter are good, there is no any problems. If it already running on the limits, you need to install the some kind of heat sink or use the proper DC to DC converter. All what is does are DC12V to DC5V (typically).
    There are option to order the special DC12V to DC5V converters. 15W one cost On China over 2eur and have a very low profile, only 14mm!!! Actually that last option are the best because it is sealed by special silicone stuff what make it waterproof and on same time helps to improve the cooling too. Do not use the construction silicon, it does not have that type of properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭chris20

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    What car have you got?

I have a 2015 mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭demello

Excellent, and I mean excellent value ....

Kia Ceed.
    Genuine low mileage.
    Full engineers report available.
    Extremely reliable, safe and comfortable.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed/20368304

• Advertisement

I'd like to install a dual lens dash cam, a Viofo A129.
    Those who have already done the same experience, how long does it take to hardwire it in a car like an Opel Mokka? An hour? Two? More?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd like to install a dual lens das cam, a Viofo A129.
    Those who have already done the same experience, how long does it take to hardwire it in a car like an Opel Mokka? An hour? Two? More?
    Thanks!

Not sure about the car but it took an hour in mine and that was adding extra work because I couldn't use a fuse tap.

Not sure about the car but it took an hour in mine and that was adding extra work because I couldn't use a fuse tap.

Thanks so much for your input, it helps me a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭kuro2k

2011 Peugeot RCZ 2.0 hdi (163 bhp) for sale

Purchased as an ex-demo from Grandons Peugeot dealership in Cork by my wife in 2011.

Currently approx 139,000 km, its a genuine car.

NCT until January 2021
    Tax until November 2019 (280 EUR)
    Grandons and J&P Cork service history until 2017 and then Powell Motors Cork

All service invoices and previous NCT documentations present

New Tyres November 2018

137,325 km - New front and rear brake disks and pads in January 2019
    136,633 km - Full Service ( oil, oil filter, air filter fuel filter & pollen filter) December 2018
    136,663 km - New rear third brake light fitted December 2018
    118,921 km - New clutch, fly wheel in December 2017
    103,972 km - Full Service (Powell Motors) - February 2017
    81,521 km - Full Service (J&P) October 2015
    64651 km - Front brake pads - September 2014
    61,568 km - Full Service (Grandons) - June 2014
    43,765 km - Full Service (Grandons) - August 2013
    24839 km - Full Service(Grandons) - August 2012
    4007km - Full Service (Grandons)

AUX/Phone/USB connectivity
    Bluetooth
    Air Conditioning