Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

ZGQ2NTk3NmM5M2QyNGYzY2VjNGQ0ZTcxNGFiMDYwOWEs68P2SwlBHUjUTR8gUZb1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE4NDU0NTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Selling my 2010 Alfa Romeo 259 ti Sportwagon 16v 2.0 JTDm

Superb example of a cracking car

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22884656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Fiat Grande Punto manual in Polish(similar to Haynes manual) €5 + postage

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Selling my trusty C-Max as i'm moving away for a while.

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2378896

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9e8b331a811cccbc3f09d0b70f99b0529.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great handling car. We have a 1.8 petrol and its a bit of a hoot to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

copeyhagen wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/auris/2009-toyota-auris/18756382

wifes Toyota auris 1.4, clean little car, 101k kms, shes had it ten years.
    needs nothing, was serviced earlier in summer.

new car forces sale.

We had one before. Has a timing chain with no change interval as well from what I remember. Might be worth mentioning to a potential seller. If you ring a toyota main dealer and give them the reg they can confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Selling my Nissan Qashqai, in Kilkenny City. I've had this for the last 3 years - 2nd owner. It's in great condition, lovely car to drive.
    Selling because I bought my brothers car, who moved overseas.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-nissan-qashqai-kilkenny-city/22852952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

After 3 years of ownership I'm selling the CL. I've been neglecting the others and it's time to change that. It's had lots of time and money put into it and I wish I could keep it too but I miss my SL

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-mercedes-cl500/22899055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hiya,
    Can I please ask what you all think of this?
    https://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=306755&productId=1468545&storeId=11101

Seems like a good deal price-wise, maybe too good to be true?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

MaudL wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Can I please ask what you all think of this?
    https://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=306755&productId=1468545&storeId=11101

Seems like a good deal price-wise, maybe too good to be true?
    Thanks!
    If the max SD card is 16g I would forget about it . Better off to buy a 512 or 612 . Similar prices and they fit for 35e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hello,

looking for advice on NextBase cameras.

Specifically, what is the difference between series 1 and series 2 cameras?

I presume series 2 are newer, more features??

I am looking at a 312GW at 65GBP on amazon.co.uk, free delivery.

But I'm worried that I should go for a 2nd series, i.e. a x2x model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Geuze wrote: »
    Hello,

looking for advice on NextBase cameras.

Specifically, what is the difference between series 1 and series 2 cameras?

I presume series 2 are newer, more features??

I am looking at a 312GW at 65GBP on amazon.co.uk, free delivery.

But I'm worried that I should go for a 2nd series, i.e. a x2x model?

We replaced the 312s with the 322 a couple months ago.

Big differences are that you can connect to the cam. via WiFi to an app. on your phone to download clips and plug in a modular rear cam. There's also an emergency call and a couple of other features. Plus it's a (very strong) magnetic fixed mount not a sucker.

I think it's a worthwhile upgrade on the 312 albeit more expensive.

We got the nextbase SD cards to avoid any compatibility issues I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads quick Question, Would we have any need for a Cpl Filter (for blackvue) here in ireland since the weather is not that bright ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I have to say, connecting your phone to your cam via wifi is really handy.

The Yi does that and it takes just a few seconds to just rip the part you want of the cam's storage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Question: are there such things as "wireless" dashcams, and I mean that literally: our car's small and wires from the GPS are already a bit disruptive to driving, so I'm wondering about good dash-cameras that can run & run off battery, without the need to be connected to the charging port 24/7.

Heck, a GPS / dashcam combination would probably solve both issues - again, if a good, inexpensive one exists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A dashcam with a battery large enough to keep it powered for a while would be too heavy and pull your windscreen out of its frame....

A phone could double up as a satnav (i assume you mean that with gps) and dashcam with the right apps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, GPs === satnav. Hmmm ok then, what about combo units? There such a thing?

Basically just trying to limit the number of wires here; we use the satnav quite a bit but a little paranoid about other motorists these days, and wouldn't mind an un-intrusive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Looking to downsize, shes in good nick. Looking for a straight sale.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/scirocco/2012-volkswagen-scirocco/18812746

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

pixelburp wrote: »
    Question: are there such things as "wireless" dashcams, and I mean that literally: our car's small and wires from the GPS are already a bit disruptive to driving, so I'm wondering about good dash-cameras that can run & run off battery, without the need to be connected to the charging port 24/7.

Heck, a GPS / dashcam combination would probably solve both issues - again, if a good, inexpensive one exists...

Are you using the cigarette lighter port (or whatever it's called these days)? If so, get it hardwired in and the cables will be hardly noticable. I have about 4 cm of cable on show, where the wire pops out near the rear view mirror to plug into my dashcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

pixelburp wrote: »
    [...] Hmmm ok then, what about combo units? There such a thing?

[...]

Yup. Garmin makes satnav+dashcam combos. They're not cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Can anyone recommend a cam that can read reg plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a cam that can read reg plates?

If you're ever unsure.... Call the reg out and recording will pick up what you say....

I find if the headlights are on the reg it's more difficult to pick up.

During the day not so bad....

Try get best resolution possible.

If you're ever unsure.... Call the reg out and recording will pick up what you say....

I find if the headlights are on the reg it's more difficult to pick up.

During the day not so bad....

Try get best resolution possible.

Close 1 yesterday but blurred reg on my entry cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Close 1 yesterday but blurred reg on my entry cam.

Thing is if it becomes an actual call, you have the best evidence whether it shows reg or not....

Mine saved me from a crash 4 cash with a taxi....

6am and he swerves into me, going same way but only for footage it looked like I ran into the rear....

He went ballistic, I said look I'll meet you at cop station, went up made report, went to work hour and half later he was still blocking the road

Went to Garda few days later. He said oh .. your pal was in, we had to run him out or we would arrested him as he was abusive towards them ...

Insurance couldn't argue with footage...

I'd say he was sick....

Hd had a name the Garda couldn't even work out.

Thing is if it becomes an actual call, you have the best evidence whether it shows reg or not....

Mine saved me from a crash 4 cash with a taxi....

6am and he swerves into me, going same way but only for footage it looked like I ran into the rear....

He went ballistic, I said look I'll meet you at cop station, went up made report, went to work hour and half later he was still blocking the road

Went to Garda few days later. He said oh .. your pal was in, we had to run him out or we would arrested him as he was abusive towards them ...

Insurance couldn't argue with footage...

I'd say he was sick....

Hd had a name the Garda couldn't even work out.

Happened so quick they were gone, would've reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Got a great deal tonight

https://flic.kr/p/2hgzjt2

Halfords,
    522GW €179
    Rear window cam price matched with DID Electrical €29.99
    Nextbase 64Gb card 1/2 price when buying the 522 so €21

Just gotta learn how to work it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've a 142 Passat for sale in brilliant condition and has all the extras (Sat Nav, heated seats, parking sensors, Handsfree kit, Cruise control, leather seats etc.).
    It has a full service history and only has 72k miles as well.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/passat/2014-volkswagen-passat/18508535

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

We are selling our 2013 Suberb.
    I brought it in from UK in Feb 2018 at 104k miles.
    131k miles now.
    Bought from V12 Sports & Classic.
    Full service history with receipts from UK.
    I had it serviced by my local indy 'German Autos', all receipts available.
    Replaced timing belt using Skoda parts at 120k miles in January 2019.
    2 brand new Pirelli tyres last month.
    Deal to be done for a boardsie!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/132-skoda-suberb/23027955

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just bought a 322GW, not a bad deal with free case, filter and 32GB card (Halfords €118 but no axa discount on dash cams or sat navs :mad:)

Anyway just wondering about a couple of things. Firstly where do people mount these, I've had to put mine below the rear view mirror to get a view thats within the sweep of the wiper blades. The other question is does anyone have any realistic figures of how much current they use. I'd like to leave it on overnight occasionally to see whats going on in the yard at home (got a 128GB micro sd card for that).

I know the rating in the power adaptor is 5V 1.5Amp and its covered by a 2Amp fuse on the 12V side but it can't really be burning 7.5 Watts the whole time can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D8X12RK

Not a top of the range Nextbase model but a good deal with the the emergency car kit included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

my3cents wrote: »
    I know the rating in the power adaptor is 5V 1.5Amp and its covered by a 2Amp fuse on the 12V side but it can't really be burning 7.5 Watts the whole time can it?

Don't know about your model, but my old mini0806, rated around 1.5A, wouldn't turn on when I connected it to my USB hub with an output dedicated to charging only and rated 2.1A.
    I'm sure that the current surge at the boot was higher than the average current requirement, but it seems that these devices really need lot of current.

Don't know about your model, but my old mini0806, rated around 1.5A, wouldn't turn on when I connected it to my USB hub with an output dedicated to charging only and rated 2.1A.
    I'm sure that the current surge at the boot was higher than the average current requirement, but it seems that these devices really need lot of current.

Mine will turn on connected to a computer USB 2 hub but I've no idea if that is because of the inbuilt battery. Seems stupid that you can't turn the screen off when in use because that must be responsible for much of the current usage and its not like you want to be watching it while its recording.

Seems stupid that you can't turn the screen off when in use because that must be responsible for much of the current usage and its not like you want to be watching it while its recording.

All screens go off after a certain time, 1 minute usually, but at the power up theuy are on, mainly because you might need to change some settings or make sure it is working fine.
    You can also have the screen always on. I have seen the police car in my city with a dash cam on the windshield, and they keep it always on.

All screens go off after a certain time, 1 minute usually, but at the power up theuy are on, mainly because you might need to change some settings or make sure it is working fine.
    You can also have the screen always on. I have seen the police car in my city with a dash cam on the windshield, and they keep it always on.

So far not seen it go off on my 322GW but will need to investigate a bit more as I now have it hidden behind the rear view mirror so don't really notice it anyway.

My 522GW has a setting called screensaver, turns the screen off or to a nice blue digital speedo.

I hear the cameras can overheat if screen left on camera display full time.

Mech1 wrote: »
    My 522GW has a setting called screensaver, turns the screen off or to a nice blue digital speedo.

I hear the cameras can overheat if screen left on camera display full time.

Saw that setting and "assumed" that screensaver ment some graphic dancing all over the screen :o Off into town now so will try that setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Saw that setting and "assumed" that screensaver ment some graphic dancing all over the screen :o Off into town now so will try that setting.

ya it is very handy alright that feature.:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Selling my 2008 Ford Focus 1.4. Got a Saab 95 Aero so this needs to go ASAP. Cheers lads.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus/23059947

So found the screen saver option allows on/off and on giving the option of displaying speed which is handy but went with the blank screen option because I finally decided on the camera behind the left hand side of the mirror so I don't normally see the screen.

Hard wired the 322GW today very easy in a polo with the wiring kit (genuine nextbase £14 on Amazon) have the power block just above the fuse board cabled tied in place so if I ever need to troubleshoot I can see the blue indicator light with the fuse cover off.

Halfords tried to sell me the hard wiring kit and installation but I can only imagine the sort of mess they could make of it. No way I could make a really tidy job without removing the bottom of the dashboard on the drivers side to get easy access to the side of the fuse box. I made my own ground connection to a bit of metal near the dash drilled a 2.5mm hole and used a self taping computer case screw plus a suitable size washer, covered it all in white lithium grease (running the cable back out to the engine compartment would have been unnecessarily awkward).

Also went mad and put a 128GB SD card in it (£17 Amazon)

Halfords tried to sell me the hard wiring kit and installation but I can only imagine the sort of mess they could make of it.

You did the best choice, DIY is often better than having some job done by a pro.
    As you saw, it was easier done than said :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The latest Which! magazine did a review of dash cams.
    Nextbase models took the top six places followed by Halfords HDC300.
    Which! usually available in local libraries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

2009 Passat cc gt DSG

taxed, will be nctd in two weeks, 142k miles, serviced July, discs and pads done this year, tyres all done in last 12 months, 2 of them in last 3 months

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volkswagen/passat/2009-volkswagen-passat-cc/18771640

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I’m after a specific dash cam, a motion sensor one if anyone would have any recommendations? I want one that would activate when detecting motion, just I had my car keyed twice in the space of a couple of months last summer and don’t want the same to happen my new car.

armaghlad wrote: »
    I’m after a specific dash cam, a motion sensor one if anyone would have any recommendations? I want one that would activate when detecting motion, just I had my car keyed twice in the space of a couple of months last summer and don’t want the same to happen my new car.

This is very useful and needed no doubt.
    But what if the criminal approaches your car from a side, where the field of view of the cam isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

Hi,

I was hoping someone could recommend a dash cam for the Mrs. It needs to be one she can plug in, not hardwired for now.

Preferably one that's easy to work with/download or whatever.
    Are there any deals on packages so she doesn't have to go buying separate cards and other items?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Halfords have a bundle for the Nextbase 322GW at the moment, €118 down from €179. Includes a 32GB microSD + adaptor, a polarising filter and a carry case. The 322GW itself is €119. I don't have it, but the reviews are good for it. Bluetooth connectivity to send vids to your phone. It's one of the models that can have the rear view/rear window/cabin view cameras (sold separately) attached to it, the others being the 422GW and the 522GW. Halfords had an incredible deal a few months back which I regretted not going for, but I'm hoping it may be done again for Christmas. All base 322/422/522 cameras were reduced by approx 1/3 and the rear attachment cameras were reduced as well on buying one of them. Others here are more knowledgeable than I am, so might be able to give you better options.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Halfords have a bundle for the Nextbase 322GW at the moment, €118 down from €179. Includes a 32GB microSD + adaptor, a polarising filter and a carry case. The 322GW itself is €119. I don't have it, but the reviews are good for it. Bluetooth connectivity to send vids to your phone. It's one of the models that can have the rear view/rear window/cabin view cameras (sold separately) attached to it, the others being the 422GW and the 522GW. Halfords had an incredible deal a few months back which I regretted not going for, but I'm hoping it may be done again for Christmas. All base 322/422/522 cameras were reduced by approx 1/3 and the rear attachment cameras were reduced as well on buying one of them. Others here are more knowledgeable than I am, so might be able to give you better options.

Its the one I have from Halfords, I got the hard wire kit from Amazon as its was cheaper there.

I've no experience of dash cams but the 332GW does everything I need. I also put in a 128GB card (again Amazon) so I could have all of a long journey I do stored before it starts overwriting.

The 32GB card you get with the kit only records about 4 hours before it starts deleting the oldest recordings but holds any recordings just be for a shock (like an accident) or when you press the button at the bottom of the screen.

The only advice I can give is take some time deciding how you want to fix the camera before you commit to using the sticky pad. While I've hard wired it I've also used the suction cap mount (very strong) so I can change my mind about the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

BMW 520D F11 Auto Oyster leather seats Navigation system Professional

https://www.carsireland.ie/2402554

Check out this forum,,,,https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/nextbase.233/,,,, before you buy any dashcam, Im in a bit of a pickle with a 522GW at the moment.
    I may have to trade it in under warranty but im not sure what I can replace it with without spending a heap more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-toyota-avensis-new-nct/23128114
    My avensis, have it 4 years
    Ideally I need a 7 seater now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement