Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing reassessment Qs plz

Options
  • 23-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Looking for advice please.
    3 years ago we (hubby, i & 2 kids) applied for social housing in co cork.
    We gave all documents required & were approved to go on the waiting list.
    In March 2012 we were informed that everyone on list had to be reassessed under new guidelines. We were advised this would take 8 weeks as we needed proof so we could continue receiving rent allowance as husband lost his job. They needed more things from us like proof i didnt own property in uk as i was born there but living here since aged 3. Once we resubmitted everything they were happy & said we'd be contacted shortly for meeting. Now this week they have been in touch looking for more documents. proof we didnt buy property in australia when we were back packing there 6 years ago for 3 months, proof we bought a car 5 years ago & proof of our living expenses for the year i was in college 5 years ago. This reassessment is now going on 7 months. We've lost our rent allowance & had to move house & now the house we rent is now up for sale so we feel we are stuck in limbo & we are stressed because it seems never ending esp now as we have to pay full rent 200 a week out of husbands unemployment benefit & ive ended up back on antidepressants to help me cope with the financial strain. Is this typical when applying for social housing with it taking so long? Can anyone offer some advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think that's shocking treatment. I have no problem with them being thorough, but they should have requested everything at once, and it shouldn't take this long.

Contact a couple of local Councillors. Well respected, hard working ones, and ask them to make representations on your behalf to the Housing Drpartment.

Advertisement