Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7Mb DSL Broadband speed very poor

• 23-11-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am on Eircom 7Mb DSL. My speedtest.net results to various servers around the country are pretty miserable. Never any more than 2Mbps and pings ranging from 250ms right up to 600ms. From a real world perspective, I can tell you that I regularly get video buffering using youtube. I nearly always have to pause, let it buffer for a while and then watch it. So for €55 a month, I feel this is terrible.

My router reports the following line stats
    - Connection Speed 7168 kbps Downstream / 384 kbps Upstream
    - Line Attenuation 20.2 db Downstream / 9.5 db Upstream
    - Noise Margin 12.4 db Downstream / 19.0 db Upstream

I've never understood Attenuation and noise figures so I am wondering if you think I may have a problem here or is Eircom 7Mb DSL that awful? Do I live with it? Is this the norm for DSL? Can I do anything to improve speeds myself? Can Eircom do anything to improve my speeds/

Many thanks for replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Here's a couple of speedtests I did just now. I'm in Co. Clare btw

1. Test to Galway
    2327542749.png

2. Another test to Galway
    2327558288.png

3. Test to Eircom Dublin
    2327561415.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

dnme wrote: »
    Here's a couple of speedtests I did just now. I'm in Co. Clare btw

1. Test to Galway
    2327542749.png

2. Another test to Galway
    2327558288.png

3. Test to Eircom Dublin
    2327561415.png

You're speeds tests were late at night around 9 o clock. I think your bad results were due to too much traffic on your line ( congestion) I had the same problem about year and half ago. Eircom, refused to repair the exchange for long time, but had to eventually because too many people had the same problem as me on their line. You will not see any speeds increases just a more stable line if Eircom chooses to repair you're exchange. I haven't had any problem, since that upgrade.

Have a 7 meg package get around 6.6 and 312kb upload close to the 328 kb upload be given.

The speeds suck with Eircom that so true.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi,

I am on Eircom 7Mb DSL. My speedtest.net results to various servers around t...............................

I've never understood Attenuation and noise figures so I am wondering if you think I may have a problem here or is Eircom 7Mb DSL that awful? Do I live with it? Is this the norm for DSL? Can I do anything to improve speeds myself? Can Eircom do anything to improve my speeds/

Many thanks for replies

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Hi,

I am on Eircom 7Mb DSL. My speedtest.net results to various servers around the country are pretty miserable. Never any more than 2Mbps and pings ranging from 250ms right up to 600ms. From a real world perspective, I can tell you that I regularly get video buffering using youtube. I nearly always have to pause, let it buffer for a while and then watch it. So for €55 a month, I feel this is terrible.

My router reports the following line stats
    - Connection Speed 7168 kbps Downstream / 384 kbps Upstream
    - Line Attenuation 20.2 db Downstream / 9.5 db Upstream
    - Noise Margin 12.4 db Downstream / 19.0 db Upstream

Many thanks for replies

does your router drop dsl sync alot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

does your router drop dsl sync alot?

No, and I have to say, I had an old 6 way power adapter that has a phone socket (in / out) included. It protects against surges. Anyway, the other night I decided to use it just in case of lightening etc. Ever since, my BB has improved greatly. I'm getting 5.5-6+ Mb downloads now. Maybe the surge protector has a filter and maybe the filter makes a difference. It still slows down during peak times but it's better than it was. I will continue to monitor it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement