Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what sealant is suitable for sealing gaps in ceilings/walls

• 23-11-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Could someone tell me what sealant I should use for sealing around ceiling penetrations in the attic such as pipes, wires for lights and extractor fans. Also for sealing around window boards and along the base of skirting. It's all for sealing draughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

batman1 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what sealant I should use for sealing around ceiling penetrations in the attic such as pipes, wires for lights and extractor fans. Also for sealing around window boards and along the base of skirting. It's all for sealing draughts.

In attics I would use an expanding foam (fire rated if required) and in most of the other senarios you would get away with a caulk as you will want to decorate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

For narrow gaps (4/5mm), use painters caulk, for larger gaps use expanding foam finished with filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Foam is brilliant. Sound stupid but use vasaline where you dont want it to stick ie just beyond the boundry of the sticking. Foam is very very messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

For a long lasting result use proprietry air tightness tapes, membrane strips and mastic which have been developed to do exactly this.
    In my experience most expanding foams are not airtight after a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

MicktheMan wrote: »
    For a long lasting result use proprietry air tightness tapes, membrane strips and mastic which have been developed to do exactly this.
    In my experience most expanding foams are not airtight after a time.

Your not doing it right so. Foams problem is not its ability to stick and seal but its mess.

• Advertisement

Your not doing it right so. Foams problem is not its ability to stick and seal but its mess.

As an airtightness tester I can tell you that expanding foam is not airtight after a time. It may very well be for a while, but believe me it will deteriorate over time.
    Take a short piece of 4" pipe, fill the inside with spray foam and leave it for say a year or two, then check if the foam has loosened and come away from the piping.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

All I want to do is seal around where lights are fitted in the ceilings and where plumbing pipes come through the ceiling, all done from the attic while I'm upgrading the insulation up there. I thought a brand of some sort of mastic sealant would suffice. There's only 4 or 5.

For a long lasting solution use air tightness tape. I use *iga products (Sounds like Liga) which allow for differential movement of differing materials over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

All I want to do is seal around where lights are fitted in the ceilings and where plumbing pipes come through the ceiling, all done from the attic while I'm upgrading the insulation up there. I thought a brand of some sort of mastic sealant would suffice. There's only 4 or 5.

I wouldnt do that if I were you.

What if you need to change a light fitting in the future and you need to pull some slack down from the ceiling for new light fitting.

You would also need the sealent/expanding foam to be fire retardant too.....lights and electricity.

Advertisement