Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know anyone who is Dead?!

• 23-11-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

On this forum for example but still have an active account?

I know someone who died and on their FB page it is still open and people were posting well wishes on their wall.
    It still open and the relatives want it that way.

Does anyone know if anyone on Boards is dead but that their account is still open?

A bit morbid I know.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Well this is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I presume that every "boardsie" that has died has an open account, it would be kind of hard for them to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

FFS !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Weirdo !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Im sure that someone would ask a mod or something to close a persons account if they knew they had passed away.

Im asking because of the FB page a girl had but they have not closed it or asked it to be closed which I think is strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I know of at least one guy anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah two people on facebook, both boards members. I see their faces pop up once a year for birthdays at least, always depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yea, their inbox is full, it's so annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Thine mother?

yeah two people on facebook, both boards members. I see their faces pop up once a year for birthdays at least, always depressing.

Would you ask FB to shut down the accounts, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

I am convinced that everyone that spends too much time in AH gets depression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Big Bottom wrote: »

if their families haven't, I won't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Weird thread. I knew a cat who died a couple of years back, I was pretty tight with him, his FB is still open, its kinda comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Only family can request it to be closed, death certificate is required for this.

Some families find it comforting to see friends still remember stuff and post on their page, I find it a bit weird myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

A very good friend of mine died 4 years ago and I could only bring myself to delete their phone number a few weeks ago.
    It was a poignant moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Great thread......well, guess it's this or the Late Late......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yep, you need to find some other angle to vent, stupid fooking thread, I got canned for a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Only family can request it to be closed, death certificate is required for this.

Some families find it comforting to see friends still remember stuff and post on their page, I find it a bit weird myself.

FB will memorialise an account if requested, ie. Can't be searched if not already friends etc. I did this for someone last year, it's comforting at times. No matter what you believe, sometimes its good just to post something on their wall, or look at a photo.

Don't see how different it is to somebody kneeling in a large room, with their hands together, talking to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its a good point, who owns the intellectual property rights of your on line accounts. Should boards or facebook for instance have policies in place for the removal/closure of accounts to protect the deceased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes, there are a few boardsies who have died and still have active accounts. I know of one brilliant, well loved young man who died and still has an active account. His brother still posts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

eoing1 wrote: »
    Its a good point, who owns the intellectual property rights of your on line accounts. Should boards or facebook for instance have policies in place for the removal/closure of accounts to protect the deceased?

fb do, you can have complete removal of accounts if you wish, once proof is furnished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

if their families haven't, I won't

Mr "don't want to get involved" Bollocksface strikes again.

There was someone on the BBC Radio a few days ago offering this as a service.

Like a will, you give them PWs of your accounts and they will shut things down after you die. Strange idea but I guess some people would get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Im dead and in heaven. Hows all down on earth? Jesus is acting the bollox and keeps robbing my buckfast. 2pac and Biggie say hi. Now i'm off to have sex with some hookers . Peace out Bitches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

areyawell wrote: »
    Im dead and in heaven. Hows all down on earth? Jesus is acting the bollox and keeps robbing my buckfast. 2pac and Biggie say hi. Now i'm off to have sex with some hookers . Peace out Bitches.
    Was 2PAC Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Tupac was Jewish... Not cool man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think the family should close all accounts of the person, I've seen horrible things written on peoples social media, granted 95% of people pay tribute but there's always a few sickos. I suppose getting the password may be a problem, do site administrators have the ability to get the password?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Great thread......well, guess it's this or the Late Late......

This it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

On this forum for example but still have an active account?

I know someone who died and on their FB page it is still open and people were posting well wishes on their wall.
    It still open and the relatives want it that way.

Does anyone know if anyone on Boards is dead but that their account is still open?

A bit morbid I know.

Thanks

In cases like this, it's called being in the wild.

Some websites will close your account if you have not used it in replying or anything for a good while, but some just leave the account open in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

An absolutely brilliant friend of mine commited suicide not too long ago. In fact, he was the best buddy you could know, he always got in the last word. This isn't meant to be a morbid response btw. His OH and with his family's consent, decided she could keep his FB account open. I would honestly love to post the song that he put on his profile the night before he passed away (and he definitely got in the last word). To this day, when I need a good stomach felt laugh, I'll head to his account and just laugh away, by just seeing the photos. Memories fade too fast, so it's always good to have something visible to provoke those fading emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

phasers wrote: »
    Tupac was Jewish... Not cool man.

??
    Tupac was Jewish?...
    Shalome motherfuc.ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

Im sure that someone would ask a mod or something to close a persons account if they knew they had passed away.

Im asking because of the FB page a girl had but they have not closed it or asked it to be closed which I think is strange.

My Brother will be nine months passed on Tuesday. He died very suddenly, so no time for goodbyes or such.

His Facebook page is still open, still gets posts on it and I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a comfort, to all of us and his friends. I click on it now and then just looking through past comments and pictures, it makes me smile when I remember these little things he was posting about or the night out we had when such a pic was taken etc..

I genuinely don't find it weird or strange in the slightest. I don't get it with the near obsession some people have with wanted to erase everything from a persons life once their life has ceased to be. Why would we request for it to be closed just because he has passed?, to me, It would be like erasing a little corner of the world that my brother created, even If it is just a facebook page. That's just my take on it though, I understand it's totally subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My aunt has been dead a few years and her Facebook account is still open. It's nice to see her pic, but it's a bit weird tbh, I would prefer for the account to be closed. She gets notifications for games and such, but none of us in the family have posted anything there since.

I have wondered too. It's an interesting question though. Will kids in the future be trawling the internet to try and locate their dead parents activity on social sites, just like precious paper diaries were left to be read in our grand parents time ?
    My grandmother left a box full of diaries for us all to find after she passed, it was great to get such insight into her life. I wouldn't mind if my kids read my posts on here when I die.
    But the bit where accounts are still open is wrong imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Pimlico wrote: »
    My Brother will be nine months passed on Tuesday. He died very suddenly, so no time for goodbyes or such.

His Facebook page is still open, still gets posts on it and I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a comfort, to all of us and his friends. I click on it now and then just looking through past comments and pictures, it makes me smile when I remember these little things he was posting about or the night out we had when such a pic was taken etc..

I genuinely don't find it weird or strange in the slightest. I don't get it with the near obsession some people have with wanted to erase everything from a persons life once their life has ceased to be. Why would we request for it to be closed just because he has passed?, to me, It would be like erasing a little corner of the world that my brother created, even If it is just a facebook page. That's just my take on it though, I understand it's totally subjective.

Beautiful post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Whoa, I'd no idea. I remember seeing him post around the Airsoft forum. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

My aunt has been dead a few years and her Facebook account is still open. It's nice to see her pic, but it's a bit weird tbh, I would prefer for the account to be closed. She gets notifications for games and such, but none of us in the family have posted anything there since.

I have wondered too. It's an interesting question though. Will kids in the future be trawling the internet to try and locate their dead parents activity on social sites, just like precious paper diaries were left to be read in our grand parents time ?
    My grandmother left a box full of diaries for us all to find after she passed, it was great to get such insight into her life. I wouldn't mind if my kids read my posts on here when I die.
    But the bit where accounts are still open is wrong imo.

Absolutely, that's a definite. imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Rozabeez' boards account is closed in order to remove her as a listed moderator in a forum. I'm sure you were wondering why hers was the only one to be actually closed. Her facebook is full of beautiful posts, photos and memories and many would be devastated if it were closed I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Through Social networking sites, I onnly know of one account, and it's not here or facebook, he was just a person I knew on a site and shared similar music interests with, they left his account as open.

I'm not sure how I would feel about it, if it was anyone closer to me, but if it helps the people griefing, that cared about the person, I wouldn't have a major problem with it at all.

To the people, who have lost in this thread, thank you, very inspirational stories and I'm sorry for your lose. I for one can't dictate how you remember your friends and family, and I don't believe anyone else does either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes an auld college friend who is deceased (R.I.P. B) but both his boards and facebook are still open and active. His brother has taken both accounts on and the posts on his facebook page are just sweet, especially around anniversary-time. All get-togethers and group reunions are mentioned also and he would be tagged in them still on facebook by varying group members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Rigol wrote: »
    ??
    Tupac was Jewish?...
    Shalome motherfuc.ker.

And? So was Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Got an email from bebo today telling me to wish a certain person happy birthday, but sadly she died a couple of years ago. Took me off guard considering I didn't even think I used my current email address to sign up to bebo back when.

Advertisement