Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Toys.

Options
  • 23-11-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently came across this video:

Too cute! Due to the wet weather and dark evenings my mare is in a lot. I'd like to get her some toys or things to mess around with while she's stuck in.

Any suggestions?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That is one happy horse :D

I think those balls are great! A cheap, homemade alternative is getting a rubber bucket, putting some small pebbles in it, putting another bucket in on top of the pebbles and tying the two buckets together so the pebbles don't fall out. It doesn't work if you use a rubber bucket for watering though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks, must try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

The horse balls are great. Turnips are good too for entertaining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

What do people think of Horselyx for boredom breaking? My mare is on a forage diet and gets the odd feed if she works hard (she's pretty fat and doesn't do enough work to warrant being fed, she's fresh enough as it is!)

Would the ball be the best for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    What do people think of Horselyx for boredom breaking? My mare is on a forage diet and gets the odd feed if she works hard (she's pretty fat and doesn't do enough work to warrant being fed, she's fresh enough as it is!)

Would the ball be the best for her?

I have one of the Horslyx in a 5kg tub. It is great for doing jobs that I need her to stand still for a long time (clipping, farrier) and keeps her occupied and happy. She is fidgety at the best of times.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Likits that you can hang in the stable - either this or this. These seem easiest to install to me. Another horse in my yard has a ball, not sure if it is the same as the Likit one but he never seems to bother with it. Is your horse on grass or stabled most of the time?

• Advertisement

Valentina wrote: »
    I have one of the Horslyx in a 5kg tub. It is great for doing jobs that I need her to stand still for a long time (clipping, farrier) and keeps her occupied and happy. She is fidgety at the best of times.

I'm thinking about getting one of the Likits that you can hang in the stable - either this or this. These seem easiest to install to me. Another horse in my yard has a ball, not sure if it is the same as the Likit one but he never seems to bother with it. Is your horse on grass or stabled most of the time?

I like the look of those Likits, I checked those out recently too! Oh the things I could buy that I shouldn't be spending all my money on :rolleyes:

She's stabled most of the time, she normally goes out on the days I don't ride her unless the weather is bad. At the moment I ride her 4 days a week as I just can't get out the other days, and she's not very fit anyway!

She's a total baby and scared of everything (including her rug!) so I wonder would a likit be the best bet instead of a ball? She's very food orientated, I managed to get her past her head-shyness with apples and carrots :)

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I like the look of those Likits, I checked those out recently too! Oh the things I could buy that I shouldn't be spending all my money on :rolleyes:

She's stabled most of the time, she normally goes out on the days I don't ride her unless the weather is bad. At the moment I ride her 4 days a week as I just can't get out the other days, and she's not very fit anyway!

She's a total baby and scared of everything (including her rug!) so I wonder would a likit be the best bet instead of a ball? She's very food orientated, I managed to get her past her head-shyness with apples and carrots :)

Aw poor pet! :) The hanging one might be better then because you could hold it for her at the beginning then leave her to it as she got more confident with it.

The Likits are great because there's so many flavours so there should be something she'll really enjoy. My mare doesn't really like minty things or very sugary things but she is mad for carrots so I think I will try that one :D

If you haven't already seen this, you can use this to get a suggestion of what might suit her best - http://www.likit.co.uk/treats-toys/product-selector/

Valentina wrote: »
    Aw poor pet! :) The hanging one might be better then because you could hold it for her at the beginning then leave her to it as she got more confident with it.

The Likits are great because there's so many flavours so there should be something she'll really enjoy. My mare doesn't really like minty things or very sugary things but she is mad for carrots so I think I will try that one :D

If you haven't already seen this, you can use this to get a suggestion of what might suit her best - http://www.likit.co.uk/treats-toys/product-selector/

Yeah she's a total fraidy cat but getting more confidence day by day :)

Oh good idea, she doesnt like minty or sugary things at all either, mad for carrots and apples so I think I might get her one of those! Will keep her occupied for a little while anyway :)

Got her a small turnip to play with instead. I don't think she's ever had one before, she gave it a good long sniff before trying to bite it. It rolls around just enough to make it a little bit challenging for her so it should keep her occupied nicely :)

Hi Valentina,

I made a hanging turnip thing for my mare. She's not too bothered with it. I might try leave it on the ground. She took a few bites and liked it when I held it for her. I might try your approach.

I was so excited when I made it and then she didn't bother with it. lol! horses eh. If only they knew the time we spend...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi Valentina,

I made a hanging turnip thing for my mare. She's not too bothered with it. I might try leave it on the ground. She took a few bites and liked it when I held it for her. I might try your approach.

Ah thanks for letting me know! I was considering hanging the turnip to make it more 'fun' but maybe I won't bother now!
    Heydeldel wrote: »
    I was so excited when I made it and then she didn't bother with it. lol! horses eh. If only they knew the time we spend...:rolleyes:

I know! That's what put me off buying an expensive toy, what if she doesn't bother with it? The turnip was only about 80c in Aldi!

Turnips are quite hard though, is it okay to give them often? I have been reading some other forums and some say the turnips can wear the teeth down.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

When my horse was on box rest I kept him entertained with his water bucket. I used to put an apple or two into it.

Horsey bobbing for apples!

That's a great idea too. I had a pony ( a greedy one) as a kid and he almost choked on a piece of apple so have had a fear of feeding apples ever since. I should get over the fear now.

Advertisement