Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help me.

Options
  • 23-11-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Ok, So once again a great battle rages on in my head. It is that great old chestnut Tactical or Practical? I am looking at another purchase I want a hunting rifle that I can shoot at a bit longer range and put a nice scope on. But i would also eventually like to get into longer range target work. Now I have a horrid burning desire for two rifles one would be ok for targets to start off with anyway and would be ok for hunting but would be very heavy to lug around the mountain all day. And the other Is a beautiful hunting rifle that i'm not sure would be any use for longer range targets. But would be a dream to carry and would give me the wallop i enjoy.
    You see there are two sides to my firearms desire one is tacticool and the other is old traditional guns that give a good wallop. I must also add I am left handed and i am not interested in anything but a left handed rifle, falling block or leaver action. and i have a lever action so that is off the list. I also don't want a remington 700. The only remington I would buy is the 870 and I have one.:P lol Anyway The two I have narrowed it down to is a Savage Model: 10 FLCP-K :cool::cool::D chambered in .308 and a Ruger No.1 medium sporter :eek::cool: in either 300winmag or 300H&H That is another battle going on in the background :D:rolleyes:
    A left handed AI AW was also in the mix but it's too rich for me at the moment and I think I would prefer the savage anyway.
    Anyway If you would'nt mind giving your opinion and a reason why that would be great.:)
    u3xhO7k4x_b3UBZWAbj.png
    11363.jpg
    For those of you that know me please don't talk about it infront of the missus. She would kill me if she though i was buying another one.
    She says I love guns more than her and thats not true.:rolleyes::P:P:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If I could I would and I may in the future, but I don't want the hassle of the restricted licence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

some round id love maybe in the future 2 was down with john lambert in camolin there a while ago he has 1 very nice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Savage in 308.

Short action, easily rebarreled, proven accuracy out of the box, have owned 3 of them including an FCP, cheap to buy so customising later to an FTR rifle won't set you back a huge amount (overall), huge amount of ammo (hunting & target), easily sold caliber if it doesn't work out, and lastly cause i like Savage rifles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

What did you think of the fcp? What was the longest distance you shot it at and then also what was the longest distance you could hold a nice group with it at?
    Sorry for all the questions.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

juice1304 wrote: »
    What did you think of the fcp?
    Fantastic rifle. Not too light, but also not so heavy that carrying it while hunting was a problem. So was a 1:10 twist so preferred medium to heavy bullets, and 180 - 185 gr flew threw it. After saying that i tried 150 up to 200 grain and it was tacking every round. The only brand it was not overly fond of was the Remmy 165 gr. Still grouped 1" at 100, but considering everything else was one holing or ragged holes at the same distance i considered them the least successful.
    What was the longest distance you shot it at and then also what was the longest distance you could hold a nice group with it at?
    Honeslty i did not do a lot of long distance, and the furthest i pushed her was 600 yards. With Sierra 190gr it would hold sub MOA at 600 (5inches or so), and on one occassion i held a 2" vertical 5 shot group. Now that was vertical only. The rounds stryaed approx 7-7.5 inches left or right so technically the group was 7-7.5 inches, but i was happy at how the bullet performed with only 2" of vertical when i done my part. Had i paid attention more to the wind it moght have been tighter. With Berger 185 gr they were holding 4" group which i consider to be a good group (0.66MOA) from a 24" barrelled rifle, and a round i did not spend a lot of time developing.

The one you have linked to above is not the exact same, but the only difference i can see is the stock. The barrel, action, caliber, weight, twist rate, barrel profile (barring the fluting) all seem the same. So i'd expect similar performance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement