Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare marathon / half marathon & 10K - 12th May 2013

Options
  • 23-11-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭

Good 'early bird' rates available for anyone thinking of doing one of these. Full marathon - €45, half marathon €35 and 10K €20 - register before end November to avail of these rates.

I've done the half here last 3 years and is generally a very well run event. Thinking of the full this year .......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Was there not some kind of disaster at this one last year? Lads being sent the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

happygoose wrote: »
    Was there not some kind of disaster at this one last year? Lads being sent the wrong way?

Yes there was. AFAIK a marshall sent first and second runners the wrong direction within 1 mile of the finish line.

Looks like my OH is doing the Full and im doing the Half (we are well down the field so there will be plenty of people for us to follow)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

Thinking of signing up for this one, is there a review of last years one ? is part of the course on grass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

greenplain wrote: »
    Thinking of signing up for this one, is there a review of last years one ? is part of the course on grass ?
    The 10k is on grass and the half/full marathons are fully on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I did the half last year, started on the racecourse so some of the start was on grass - not a big issue. Pretty good race overall, good support on the route considering it was in the countryside, water bottles at each station a big plus, medal & T-shirt plus Lidl goddie bag at the end. Signed up again for the half this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

happygoose wrote: »
    Stu[id mistake by a marshall, when i think iof a disaster i think of eartquakes and hurricanes :D
    The 2 that were sent wrong were looked after with the same money as the eventual winner afaik. Nice little race imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

eve wrote: »
    Yes there was. AFAIK a marshall sent first and second runners the wrong direction within 1 mile of the finish line.

Looks like my OH is doing the Full and im doing the Half (we are well down the field so there will be plenty of people for us to follow)

Did this happen in this race or are you mixing it up with the Moone Kilomarathon. Thats exactly what happened at the kilomarathon , surely it did'nt happen twice in Kildare??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Did this happen in this race or are you mixing it up with the Moone Kilomarathon. Thats exactly what happened at the kilomarathon , surely it did'nt happen twice in Kildare??

Happened in both races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭boccy23

Will there be Pacers here again this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

yep..usual time bands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Does anyone know what the 10k is like at this event ? I'm looking for a 10k around this time, close enough to Dublin and this looks like it might be a good'un

PaulieC wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the 10k is like at this event ? I'm looking for a 10k around this time, close enough to Dublin and this looks like it might be a good'un
    its a new route this year,,basically starts athe the same point as last year on the track ,but goes the opposite way,down to the end of the track to the old kildare road ,turn right,run up towards kildare ,about 3 or 4 k trhere is a turn right,through the curragh to bring u onto road back to the curragh(same road as mara/half) use and den bout 2.5 k to finish...fairly flat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ultraman1 wrote: »
    its a new route this year,,basically starts athe the same point as last year on the track ,but goes the opposite way,down to the end of the track to the old kildare road ,turn right,run up towards kildare ,about 3 or 4 k trhere is a turn right,through the curragh to bring u onto road back to the curragh(same road as mara/half) use and den bout 2.5 k to finish...fairly flat

Thanks Anto...when you say track, do you mean grass ? I'm looking for a fast enough course, would grass not make for slower progress?

PaulieC wrote: »
    Thanks Anto...when you say track, do you mean grass ? I'm looking for a fast enough course, would grass not make for slower progress?
    d powdery track dat the abulance drives on during the horsey races,,no grass on the 10km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

d powdery track dat the abulance drives on during the horsey races,,no grass on the 10km

How many furlongs is it this year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Def all not on grass then? I felt like I was dying last year.

Thinking about doing the half or 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Wondering what the public transport is like to this on race day? I know about the options to get to the curragh on horse race days - and Im thinking about doing the half as a sort of training run and excuse to go and do this race for a few random reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Wondering what the public transport is like to this on race day? I know about the options to get to the curragh on horse race days - and Im thinking about doing the half as a sort of training run and excuse to go and do this race for a few random reasons
    Not great really, trains only stop in Newbridge or Kildare, Kildare station a little closer to the racecourse, about 2.5 miles, Newbridge more like 3.5 miles. Buse to newbridge will probably get you closer, still about 2 miles away, unless you can get the airport service with http://www.dublincoach.ie/, and get the driver to drop you at ballymany roundabout which would be perfect but the drivers can be a bit grumpy about stopping at unoffical stops so you'd want to check with them first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Joe, lots of the usual suspects are pacing the half so I am sure a lift out can be organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

This will be my first ever real race so I'm a mixture of nervous & excited, and have loads of questions.

How does the pacer work? I know they run at X speed but how do you know who runs at which speed and then 'trail' that person?

Also, can you see your own clock/timer during the race, or only when you finish?

Do joggers usually actually stop at a water station or just grab a drink and keep going with it?

Do a lot of the participants go to the post race meet up? Is there a place to shower before it? Can't imagine the room would smell very good otherwise! :o
    Probably all stupid questions, but can't be helped! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

If you can get a train to Hazelhatch I can bring you from there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Going to skip this, was going to cost just over €57 to register for the half late, between the late reg fee, some kind of extra processing fee and also a fee to send out the reg pack - and I cant justify that for a run I want to do "out of interest".

Must say the sneaky registration fee on the very last screen annoyed me, its only €4.24, but that should be covered in the €48 registration fee.

Hope everyone enjoys as it looks a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Definitely the most expensive half marathon in Ireland. Have just registered, and on top of the €53 fee, which is crazy expensive on it's own, there's also a "registration fee" and a postage fee bringing it up to €62 in total.

There better be lots of freebies on the day and a well organised race! Can totally understand why the Vaggabond would skip it. I already have a bad feeling in my mouth about it.

afaik its gonna be dearer to enter any race a month or less before its on,limerick is 55 squid to enter at the moment ,dingle is 54 at the moment,dont know if either give option of posting reg numbers/chips out or having to drive down to get them..am not saying its cheap but there are are ways of entering cheaper as it was 35 or so quid earlier,for all three races.if its too dear or youl feel its not value for money dont enter....... was speaking to one of the organisers recently regarding the price and although they acknowledged my point ,they told me of some of the costs involved re the road closures and wat the gardai bill is for the day,,ouchh

note(have nothing to do with organising this race other dan pacing)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

Does anyone know where I'd find a course profile?, I hearing that the full marathon is not that flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

fruitbats wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I'd find a course profile?, I hearing that the full marathon is not that flat?

I am hoping it is flat because UM1 just talked me into pacing sub 3:30. He told me it would be really flat and there would be loads of cakes at the end.....

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am hoping it is flat .....

flat for some,just b4 and after the hills...monster hills for belcarra http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175709313

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

flat for some....monster hills for belcarra http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175709313

I want out Ted!
    (Is 4:22 an acceptable time for the 4:15 gang??)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

flat for some,just b4 and after the hills...monster hills for belcarra http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175709313

thanks for that UM1, miles 12- 16 look scary, did they feel that bad when you done it last year? and the last mile looks tough? what time are you aiming for this year?
    I done a 22 mile the other day in 3 hours 15 mins, its roughly 8 min 54 sec avg, I was looking to go out with the 3.30 pacer and try to hang on till the end?(
    ( My PB is 3:41 for last years Dublin Marathon but i nearly did 27 miles in total)

what sort of long runs have people been doing ? and what is there aim for the full 26.2?

• Advertisement

fruitbats wrote: »
    thanks for that UM1, miles 12- 16 look scary, did they feel that bad when you done it last year? and the last mile looks tough? what time are you aiming for this year?
    I done a 22 mile the other day in 3 hours 15 mins, its roughly 8 min 54 sec avg, I was looking to go out with the 3.30 pacer and try to hang on till the end?(
    ( My PB is 3:41 for last years Dublin Marathon but i nearly did 27 miles in total)

what sort of long runs have people been doing ? and what is there aim for the full 26.2?
    Not doing it disyear, sneaki hill at 12miles and after 13 miles,,and little drag uptowards19,not much to get worried about....Id call it flat

Advertisement