Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare marathon / half marathon & 10K - 12th May 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm one of the 2 hour pacers for the Half, anyone planning to join us make sure to come say hello at the start, we're a friendly bunch:D

They will aim to come in just a few seconds under, probably 59.30, if an hour is your goal stick with them. Good luck and enjoy it

I'll be another one struggling to keep up with ya, but will just be glad to finish my 1st half marathon having run my 1st 10 in feb and interrupted training for this with chest infection and 9 month old baby !!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm one of the 2 hour pacers for the Half, anyone planning to join us make sure to come say hello at the start, we're a friendly bunch:D

They will aim to come in just a few seconds under, probably 59.30, if an hour is your goal stick with them. Good luck and enjoy it

Hi MS. Will be a bit behind ye but will try to day hello beforehand if I can get near. Had originally hoped to be with ye but a lot of craziness in the last few months has left me under trained. Going to enjoy it as an LSR now. C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

best of luck to all runners tomorrow. im running the half marathon tomorrow and will be trying to keep 2hr pace with Marthastew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd love to be keeping pace aiming for 2 hours but will see how it's goes. Realistically I should be happy to finish my first ever HM, never mind looking at the clock.

What way should one dress for the race tomorrow, with the wind/rain forecast? Do you wear a light rain running jacket or is there any point?

Also, do you wear long sleeve running top? Presuming that you'd need at least one long layer in this climate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

can the pacers put their wine down and go to bed.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    can the pacers put their wine down and go to bed.......

How did you know? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

FYP
    can the pacers put their wine, beer, cake, hookers, cocaine and epo down and go to bed, there's enough of that provided tomorrow.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Best of luck to everyone running this tomorrow. Hope it goes well for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

many thanks to boyblunder,keilyunusual,claralara,dogger,martastew,sir-stew,meno ,pronater,krusty,robbicosta,ger c,mark m,david m,oisin,olli k,jbski,des,runnincoach,ankers69,aimman,digigem,trampas and bendy for the pacin today..
    ...anto xxx

• Advertisement

many thank to boyblunder,keilyunusual,claralara,dogger,martastew,sir-stew,meno ,pronater,krusty,robbicosta,ger c,mark m,david m,oisin,olli k,jbski,des,runnincoach,ankers69,aimman,digigem for the pacin today..
    ...anto xxx

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oh God poor TBB, must be scary coming face to face with your stalker. Is he alright? Has anyone heard from him? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

many thank to boyblunder,keilyunusual,claralara,dogger,martastew,sir-stew,meno ,pronater,krusty,robbicosta,ger c,mark m,david m,oisin,olli k,jbski,des,runnincoach,ankers69,aimman,digigem,trampas and bendy for the pacin today..
    ...anto xxx
    It was a pleasure Anto. Great pacer setup in Kildare, and from my perspective, a great race setup out there too. Drove in at 8am, and had a parking spot nearby in the overflow car-park, just a couple of mins walk from the start. On the way out, we headed via Newbridge and were home within 45 mins, with few delays. Top notch.

On the pacing front, we had a group of 15-20 up until the half way mark (around 1:28:55), but unfortunately, the wind and hills around the half-way point killed off a number of runners, so by mile 20, we had only 4-5 runners (with another 3/4 having pushed on ahead). Crossed the finish line just before 2:59, and were greeted by some very happy faces.
    That said I'm aiming for around 2:45ish, I am fairly confident I can hold down 6:30's until 20 miles, will have to see what the last six feels like.
    Will there be any pacers in or around this pace, or anyone likely to be going at that pace I can run with on here?
    Congrats to Venjur who finished 3rd, in 2:41. Never judge a book by its cover. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

No problems on the 4:30 pacing either, everything went smoothly, but like that, lost people after the 18M mark along that lonely road out to the National Stud, but rounded up a couple more on the last straight.

Plenty of water, Lucozade Sport and Gels along the way. Marshelling was super and nice grub after the finishing line.

Cheers for the pacing gig Anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

It was a pleasure Anto. Great pacer setup in Kildare, and from my perspective, a great race setup out there too. Drove in at 8am, and had a parking spot nearby in the overflow car-park, just a couple of mins walk from the start. On the way out, we headed via Newbridge and were home within 45 mins, with few delays. Top notch.

On the pacing front, we had a group of 15-20 up until the half way mark (around 1:28:55), but unfortunately, the wind and hills around the half-way point killed off a number of runners, so by mile 20, we had only 4-5 runners (with another 3/4 having pushed on ahead). Crossed the finish line just before 2:59, and were greeted by some very happy faces.

Congrats to Venjur who finished 3rd, in 2:41. Never judge a book by its cover. :D

Christ, fair play to the man. I'm off for a big slice of humble pie now.

(Still reckon that first post of his read like more of a wind-up than anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Post from a newbie boardsie prompted my chat about boards with pacer KielyUnusual in the half today. Just felt the need to say thanks to KU and TheBoyBlunder for doing a great pacing job today. I had planned on going out at 7min+ (ish) pace today but the 1:30 group was having such a good time I decided to stay with them for the craic and finished in 1:28:15..a PB by 5 mins. BTW I was the one in black, with you near the front, wearing my mothers pop socks carefully disguised as calf sleeves! Thanks guys, delighted with my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Finished the half in 1:48:52 - delighted with a new PB! As ultraman said the wind was in ur back on the home stretch which was a big help. Found the first 3 miles tough but fell into a comfy pace after that.
    Big thanks to the organizers, well marshaled, plenty of grub at the end. This was my 2nd Kildare half so will defo do the full next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Anyone any idea when the official results will be up for all three races? Any photos available anywhere either?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

big thank you to the 2hr pacers from me. Seriously struggled from 10 to 11, but got spurred on by you...(thought the whip was gonna come out at that stage :eek:), from there on I got a great 2nd wind & came in just under the 2. So cheers folks. Marshalling, water stations & support from those along the route was great. Fierce windy place that curragh though!

D.

If Anto's involved somewhere it will be a quality race, well done and thanks for the VIP treatment.
    Also thanks to pronator and Krusty for dragging me around to a 1st sub 3, it was great to share it with 2 club mates.
    Race report here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

many thanks to boyblunder,keilyunusual,claralara,dogger,martastew,sir-stew,meno ,pronater,krusty,robbicosta,ger c,mark m,david m,oisin,olli k,jbski,des,runnincoach,ankers69,aimman,digigem,trampas and bendy for the pacin today..
    ...anto xxx

Anto thanks for the VIP treatment, excellent, nothing was a miss!! Quality event and one I would not mind having a go at when fit:D

Good to give a bit back but it is strange to run a marathon and not getting hammered after it!!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Ferris B wrote: »
    Post from a newbie boardsie prompted my chat about boards with pacer KielyUnusual in the half today. Just felt the need to say thanks to KU and TheBoyBlunder for doing a great pacing job today. I had planned on going out at 7min+ (ish) pace today but the 1:30 group was having such a good time I decided to stay with them for the craic and finished in 1:28:xx..a PB by 5 mins. BTW I was the one in black, with you near the front, wearing my mothers pop socks carefully disguised as calf sleeves! Thanks guys, delighted with my time.

You were very comfortable when we were chatting it and I figured you'd push on in the second half. Sets you up really well for Cork now. Take it handy for the first few miles and you'll bomb it home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jtceltic

big thank you to joe, olwyn and niall 2hr pacers in the half, it was my 1st time so was a great help and wouldnt of got around without u's. I kept up till the 11mile mark :( finished in 2.03, i was the lad in the illuminous celtic top, great job by all involved will defo do this again

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Did the half, i thought it was a good race, the organisation was 100%. The wind was tough at times, as it tends to be the curragh. I was finding it tough when we got to Kildare town. So thankfully the wind was behind us for the last 5k or so, especially as I was on my own for most of that stretch. Still managed to shave half a minute of my PB, by finishing in 1:35. I passed a chap with a couple of km to go who was doing the full 26.2 in his full army kit, that's some going, fair play!

Cheers Krusty and good to chat to you after. Hope you got that beer in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Did the half-marathon today ... great event, really enjoyed it!! Very well marshalled from start to finish.

Any thoughts on impact of wind? It was helping for a lot of the run to be fair but I think it probably did impact people's times negatively IMO... there was a flyover on the approach into Kildare town (if I remember correctly) where the wind was particularly tough.

Nice flattish course although there were a couple of hills around the town that were pretty hard going.

super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Venjur - well done, that's a smashing time, I genuinely thought you were a wind-up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Oh God poor TBB, must be scary coming face to face with your stalker. Is he alright? Has anyone heard from him? :eek:

I was a bit nervous alright but when the boxers were returned washed i relaxed a good bit. Fabric softner and all. As stalkers go I could do a lot worse.

Advertisement