Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare marathon / half marathon & 10K - 12th May 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

By the way - has anybody taken a look at their Garmin / other running GPS device to check distance for half-marathon? Mine is telling me 21.29KM... which would make it about 190m over half-marathon distance. Last 2 half-marathons I did, it gave me 21.1 and 21.13 so it's usually pretty spot-on. FAQs state that course has been measured by an "official course measurer supplied by AAI" so I hope I'm wrong but just want to see what others saw...

Asking this to give me info on my time - not as a moan :)

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

By the way - has anybody taken a look at their Garmin / other running GPS device to check distance for half-marathon? Mine is telling me 21.29KM... which would make it about 190m over half-marathon distance. Last 2 half-marathons I did, it gave me 21.1 and 21.13 so it's usually pretty spot-on. FAQs state that course has been measured by an "official course measurer supplied by AAI" so I hope I'm wrong but just want to see what others saw...

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Yes all races must be longer to even out of people skipping corners etc, the marathon must be 42.5k and i believe the half 21.3k which was spot on !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Another newbie to the running scene here that did my first half today. Was delighted to finish at all tbh but got my official time via text there now, coming in at 1:57:51.

Was wondering at the lunacy of signing up at all when we were on our way out to the starting line, the wind was so strong I was been blown backwards.

Great that there was next to no rain though.

Well done to all other entrants, I'm delighted to be on this side of the finish line! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

By the way - has anybody taken a look at their Garmin / other running GPS device to check distance for half-marathon? Mine is telling me 21.29KM... which would make it about 190m over half-marathon distance. Last 2 half-marathons I did, it gave me 21.1 and 21.13 so it's usually pretty spot-on. FAQs state that course has been measured by an "official course measurer supplied by AAI" so I hope I'm wrong but just want to see what others saw....
    Yes all races must be longer to even out of people skipping corners etc, the marathon must be 42.5k and i believe the half 21.3k which was spot on !

ultraman1 must have measured wrong. biggrin.pngwink.png

I joke. GPS is not 100% accurate and the course is measured by the most direct route from start to finish. The majority of runners do/will not take the direct route for the distance. Taking corners wide, running on the far side of the road instead of the tight side, weaving around the course etc. etc .etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Who is that in the 3rd pic ? Looks very familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Who is that in the 3rd pic ? Looks very familiar

ankers and Runnin Coach.
    Think you ran a fair bit of Donadea with Ankers??

That's the one. Feckin windy out there today. And flat ? Flat me boll1x.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Had a great day today. Even waiting about between the marathon and the 10K start was pleasant with the VIP treatment on offer, so big thanks to Anto for sorting me out! :cool: And it's always nice to catch up with the boardsies / running crew :D

...now if only ye could organise the weather :rolleyes:

10k race report here if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ultraman1, all these pacers are having way too much fun to be taking their jobs seriously. I think words need to be had

Anto said we'll get extra stuff in the goodie bags if we do a bit of show-boating at the end. :rolleyes:

I got an unlimited travel pass with Bus Eireann for the whole of this Sunday! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I really think it was one of the best organised races I have ever done, cant speak highly enough about it. Every street intersection was well marshaled with volunteers and guards [no mean feat with 3 races on 3 somewhat different courses!]. I loved the family atmosphere, with some people doing the 10k and other parts of the family doing the half or the full. Clearly no issues with finding parking at all. Loved every part of it.

Glad wind and rain were not really a huge issue [on the half anyway] after the hill at the Curragh camp!

Very pleased with a PB of over a minute, and getting under the magic 100 minute mark! Up early for work now and the legs are in utter bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dont know weather to laugh or cry or start a class in the finer details of course measuring...
    edit... not a dig at elvis,but all the garmin warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Kildare doesn't have an AAI permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Gary O Hanlon won both the limerick & kildare marathon in the space of a week. That's some going :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

footing wrote: »

The other guy said the site says the course was measured by an aai accredited course measurer which is true. I had the course at 26.4 which is what a course should be taking into account racing line.

footing wrote: »
    doesnt mean it wasnt measured by an an AAI acreddited measurer...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dont know weather to laugh or cry or start a class in the finer details of course measuring...

Do what ya like, i couldn't care less. But if you read all i wrote i also said it was measured spot on. So you could take a compliment or be a complete arse about it..............i see which angle you've taken:rolleyes:

Oh and while your talking of running classes, run one for the MC. She was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Do what ya like, i couldn't care less. But if you read all i wrote i also said it was measured spot on. So you could take a compliment or be a complete arse about it..............i see which angle you've taken:rolleyes:

I reckon you should volunteer to help out at next year's race. Put in the kind of effort anto and others put in beforehand and on the day to make things run smoothly. Then i'll make an ambiguous comment (saying that it was 21.3) and we will see how your sense of humour is :)

Do what ya like, i couldn't care less. But if you read all i wrote i also said it was measured spot on. So you could take a compliment or be a complete arse about it..............i see which angle you've taken

,,,,,if uv any real complaints direct them to info@runkildare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Thanks Anto for looking after us so well yesterday, a really well organised event, well marshalled and even the weather didn't dampen spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Did the 10k yesterday - not a flat course by any stretch of the imagination (see attached), in fact I can't remember any of it being flat really. Would the organisers post a chip time result list or is it standard fare to be gun time (is it specified beforehand?) -at least having the option of seeing both would help, especially as I would jump up 60 places on chip time.

,,,,,if uv any real complaints direct them to info@runkildare.ie

Why thank you, will you be taking compliments as well or do you ingore them as above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Did the 10k yesterday - not a flat course by any stretch of the imagination (see attached), in fact I can't remember any of it being flat really. Would the organisers post a chip time result list or is it standard fare to be gun time (is it specified beforehand?) -at least having the option of seeing both would help, especially as I would jump up 60 places on chip time.

Looks pretty flat, gains and losses of 10 meters over 3-4 K is not exactly hilly IMO. You'd have to run 10k on a track to have your Garmin graph completely flat lining.

I reckon you should volunteer to help out at next year's race. Put in the kind of effort anto and others put in beforehand and on the day to make things run smoothly. Then i'll make an ambiguous comment (saying that it was 21.3) and we will see how your sense of humour is :)

Volunteer ??? I think they charge enough to pay someone decent;)

Listen which i said 21.3 i said "i believe" no where did i say i was 100% correct. I was actually paying a compliment to whoever measured it as it was spot on distance wise as there are so many races that are over or under measured.

5 Mile in Phionex park in 2011 ( under ) & Portlaoise Half Marathon ( over ) being two examples of such.

I do believe the MC was dire, but if thats the worst i can say about the race it says a lot.

Well done to all involved BUT please note i was trying to pay a compliment about the race and not trying to come over as an expert which i am not.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Looks pretty flat, gains and losses of 10 meters over 3-4 K is not exactly hilly IMO. You'd have to run 10k on a track to have your Garmin graph completely flat lining.

I would call it undulating. I can't remember any particularly flat sections either. From memory 1.5-6 were toughest as it was mostly up a straight drag with wind in your face. I now that's where I fell down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/results_2010.html
    All times both race and chip for the 3 races here. Downloads to a pdf.

Volunteer ??? I think they charge enough to pay someone decent;)
    not in my lifetime.....:P

not in my lifetime.....

I'll do it for free next year if you make a donation to charity on my behalf;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

ken wrote: »
    http://www.kildaremarathon.ie/results_2010.html
    All times both race and chip for the 3 races here. Downloads to a pdf.

I should have clarified, I meant a race placing by chip time, not gun time.

• Advertisement

I should have clarified, I meant a race placing by chip time, not gun time.
    places are never done by chip time,,its first past the post,,

Advertisement