Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare marathon / half marathon & 10K - 12th May 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats and well done to all who ran yesterday, lots of PBs and super results:)
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Thanks Anto for looking after us so well yesterday, a really well organised event, well marshalled and even the weather didn't dampen spirits.

+1 from the Stews:D 5 Star treatment for the pacers and it made for a great, relaxing start to a super day. Looking forward to next year if you'll have us back again;)
    kit3 wrote: »
    Hi MS. Will be a bit behind ye but will try to day hello beforehand if I can get near. Had originally hoped to be with ye but a lot of craziness in the last few months has left me under trained. Going to enjoy it as an LSR now. C

How did you get on? Pity I missed you:(
    The start was a little chaotic with the wind and the fact that it was a little further away than last year so we actually only got into position about 8 minutes before the gun went.
    Congrats to Venjur who finished 3rd, in 2:41. Never judge a book by its cover. :D

Super congrats Venjur, a fabulous result:D
    denis160 wrote: »
    big thank you to the 2hr pacers from me. Seriously struggled from 10 to 11, but got spurred on by you...(thought the whip was gonna come out at that stage :eek:), from there on I got a great 2nd wind & came in just under the 2. So cheers folks. Marshalling, water stations & support from those along the route was great. Fierce windy place that curragh though!

D.
    Congrats, delighted for you. A lot of people were starting to struggle at that stage, in fact we passed a runner who wasn't too keen on my motivational efforts and I was told SHUT UP FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!:rolleyes: Mr Stew told her she was lucky she didn't have to listen to me on a daily basis:)
    jtceltic wrote: »
    big thank you to joe, olwyn and niall 2hr pacers in the half, it was my 1st time so was a great help and wouldnt of got around without u's. I kept up till the 11mile mark :( finished in 2.03, i was the lad in the illuminous celtic top, great job by all involved will defo do this again

That's a super result for your first half, sub 2 will be no bother to you next time out, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

well, my point is it would still be nice to know your ranking in terms of race time as opposed to your cattle stampede ranking. The winner won't change on either list, in this race at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well, my point is it would still be nice to know your ranking in terms of race time as opposed to your cattle stampede ranking. The winner won't change on either list, in this race at least.
    i wasnt refering to just the winner........the gun goes off,,u run,u finish,u count how many people are in front of you when u cross the line,thats ur position,,,,,,chip time only measures ur time,nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jtceltic wrote: »
    big thank you to joe, olwyn and niall 2hr pacers in the half, it was my 1st time so was a great help and wouldnt of got around without u's. I kept up till the 11mile mark :( finished in 2.03, i was the lad in the illuminous celtic top, great job by all involved will defo do this again

Well done J; your legs will be stronger the next one and you will get through it no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I thought the M..C. was great. I'm all for something a little different and I thought she added to the carnival atmosphere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I thought the M..C. was great. I'm all for something a little different and I thought she added to the carnival atmosphere!

You obviously weren't there for the Angelina Roll-y and Brad Pitta jokes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Have to say, hats off to the Kildare Marathon organisers for the setup yesterday. Having a market running alongside the event to keep spectators occupied while waiting around was brilliant. Hopefully it worked well for the stalls and organisers and we'll see more of the same at it next year.

Saying that, I was frozen taking photos of the 10km and marathon and wanted to go get out of the cold so didn't stick around for the half marathon.

308687_569861426378002_1957970301_n.jpg

More of my photos from the Kildare marathon here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Well done to all the organizing and glad to help out with the pacing Anto.

You even manage to arrange Mrs Bendy to put my pin my number onto my top and which meant I got VVIP treatment.

Downside was nobody manage to capture Bendy falling over a cone while encouraging the finishers to get under the 1hour.

digger2d2 wrote: »

Yeah - t'was entertaining stuff in a "Crystal Swing" kind of way. Bit bizarre at times but she was trying hard and did a good job of engaging people, especially given how poor the weather was starting off the day.

In fairness - the whole event was really well organised, clearly a lot of hard work all around.

Trampas wrote: »
    Well done to all the organizing and glad to help out with the pacing Anto.

You even manage to arrange Mrs Bendy to put my pin my number onto my top and which meant I got VVIP treatment.

Downside was nobody manage to capture Bendy falling over a cone while encouraging the finishers to get under the 1hour.
    i tink he got cramp....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dont know weather to laugh or cry or start a class in the finer details of course measuring...
    edit... not a dig at elvis,but all the garmin warriors

As a Garmin user I know it's not 100% accurate and I don't depend on it. I think some Garmin users could do well to read the links below to get a better understanding of the use of GPS/Garmin watches in race conditions.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/racing-line-understanding-how-courses.html

Related link on Garmin pacing
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/03/art-of-pacing-with-garmin.html

wideball wrote: »
    As a Garmin user I know it's not 100% accurate and I don't depend on it. I think some Garmin users could do well to read the links below to get a better understanding of the use of GPS/Garmin watches in race conditions.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/03/racing-line-understanding-how-courses.html

Related link on Garmin pacing
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/03/art-of-pacing-with-garmin.html
    sticky?...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

By the way - has anybody taken a look at their Garmin / other running GPS device to check distance for half-marathon? Mine is telling me 21.29KM... which would make it about 190m over half-marathon distance. Last 2 half-marathons I did, it gave me 21.1 and 21.13 so it's usually pretty spot-on. FAQs state that course has been measured by an "official course measurer supplied by AAI" so I hope I'm wrong but just want to see what others saw...

Mine was 21.32. As others have mentioned this is probably down to the line you run and that the technology isn't perfect. It would have to out by more than that for me to question it, especially if it's over the distance. I'd question it quicker if it was a couple of hundred metres under, which in my experience is rarely the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ultraman1 wrote: »
    sticky?...

Definitely sticky. I can't remember the last post event discussion that hasn't degenerated into this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

A lot of people were starting to struggle at that stage, 
    in fact we passed a runner who wasn't too keen on my motivational efforts and I was told SHUT UP FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Marthastew, I happened to be running (badly) along side at that time, very funny, had a bit of a laugh thinking about it last night actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

denis160 wrote: »
    A lot of people were starting to struggle at that stage, 
    in fact we passed a runner who wasn't too keen on my motivational efforts and I was told SHUT UP FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

Marthastew, I happened to be running (badly) along side at that time, very funny, had a bit of a laugh thinking about it last night actually!

I could hear her and I was 15 minutes up the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Did the 10k yesterday, thought everything was well organised....although agree with earlier comments that the start setup wasn't great, but didn't really bother me. For me the toughest part of the race was also when the wind was face on, the long straight road into Kildare, with a nasty climb!! The wind seemed to get particularly bad after the flyover and this was also the toughest part of the climb. Also on that part of the run, with the wind blowing straight at us, it would have been great if the couple of athletes that were in front of me on different occasions would have checked that the coast was clear behind them when they decided to spit!!! Otherwise enjoyed the run, plenty of water, fruit, goodies, etc. Will definitely do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yeah - t'was entertaining stuff in a "Crystal Swing" kind of way. Bit bizarre at times but she was trying hard and did a good job of engaging people, especially given how poor the weather was starting off the day.

In fairness - the whole event was really well organised, clearly a lot of hard work all around.

Hey, Venjur, any chance of a pic from Kildare??? I'd love to see what an 'old', 'bald', 'chubby, 'slow' 2:41 marathoner looks like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bloody hell another marathon from Gary. Did he not run (and win)Limerick last week? I think if he raced less he'd definitely go sub 2:20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A former winner of the Rás na hEireann, my own clubs race, much respect man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

tunguska wrote: »
    Bloody hell another marathon from Gary. Did he not run (and win)Limerick last week? I think if he raced less he'd definitely go sub 2:20.

Was talking to him last Tuesday night. Said he has never trained properly for a Marathon. Won in 2:29 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Was talking to him last Tuesday night. Said he has never trained properly for a Marathon. Won in 2:29 last week.

Big difference between 2.29 and 2.19 though. Although I think he ran 2.26 or thereabouts in the Dublin marathon this year (or last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Pfft... I could finish behind Mo Farah!!

pconn062 wrote: »
    A former winner of the Rás na hEireann, my own clubs race, much respect man.

Jesus... cheers for the trip down memory lane!

Here is what 7 years, 1.5 stone a hyper 2 year old and 25.5 miles does to a man:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/8731306837/in/set-72157633477860140

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Jesus... cheers for the trip down memory lane!

Here is what 7 years, 1.5 stone a hyper 2 year old and 25.5 miles does to a man:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterm7/8731306837/in/set-72157633477860140

:)

Training log?

It might get a few followers;).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Emer911 thanks for the company before the race. :D Thanks Anto for the wonderful hospitality before and after the 10k. Even with the horrible 2 mile crazy windy phase, have to say I did enjoy the race. I had originally intended to do the full but achilles injury in March put end to that so when I got back training decided to give 10k a lash. Didnt pb but still very pleased to be in the top 20 female finishers at 48.57. Club had big gang of first timers doing half and they all completed with big smiles so great day had by all:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

this was my first half marathon yesterday and i have to say really enjoyed it.
    my chip time was 1:52:03 :). thx to all involved for making it a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

jake1970 wrote: »
    this was my first half marathon yesterday and i have to say really enjoyed it.
    my chip time was 1:52:03 :). thx to all involved for making it a great day.

I'm pretty sure you said Hi as you ran past our group. Well done that is a fantastic first half marathon. I wondered how you got on and since we didn't catch you I knew you must have done well, delighted for you:)

Advertisement