Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare marathon / half marathon & 10K - 12th May 2013

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Marthastew wrote: »

How did you get on? Pity I missed you:(
    The start was a little chaotic with the wind and the fact that it was a little further away than last year so we actually only got into position about 8 minutes before the gun went.

Hi. Saw ye get into position but the start was so narrow and it was a bit late so didn't push my way in as I has no business being up near ye ! I got on fine considering - got on as I thought and did as well as I deserved under the circumstances. Was going really well up to mid Feb but fell apart for various reasons from then on. No point in getting into excuses cause that's all it would be. Nearly didn't go on yesterday but reckoned it would either kill or cure me i.e. put me off completely or give me the kick I needed to get going again. Glad to say it was the latter. Finished in a dismal 2.16 but still enjoyed it as I could expect nothing more. Eager to get going again now !

This was my fourth year doing the half there and must say it's a really great event. Great organisation, location, and course. Will definately be back and hope to be following the 2hr pacers next year.

UM1 - No fancy garmin here but could have sworn at one stage that the half was measuring more like a full.......................:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sideshow Gaz

Been a very long time since I have been on Boards.ie (long before I started running) but I thought the Run Kildare was worth coming back on for to say thanks to all the organisers for a great day.

Mainly though I would really like to thank the 4.30 hour pacers. Sadly I had to drop back at mile 21 just before the National Stud but running with the pacers and the small group of others made the race so much more enjoyable. Being with the group really helped and kept me going for the longest consistant run I've ever done without walking.

I only lost a minute a mile off my pace in the last 5 miles so came in under 4.36 even with the walking and pulled out a PB of a minute so overall it was a great day.

My wife also completed her first half marathon, I know we'll be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Been a very long time since I have been on Boards.ie (long before I started running) but I thought the Run Kildare was worth coming back on for to say thanks to all the organisers for a great day.

Mainly though I would really like to thank the 4.30 hour pacers. Sadly I had to drop back at mile 21 just before the National Stud but running with the pacers and the small group of others made the race so much more enjoyable. Being with the group really helped and kept me going for the longest consistant run I've ever done without walking.

I only lost a minute a mile off my pace in the last 5 miles so came in under 4.36 even with the walking and pulled out a PB of a minute so overall it was a great day.

Well done on hanging on with us as long as you could. Glad you got a PB at the end of it, that's the main thing. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

even pulled of an aimmanesque finish...............https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449153731844996&set=pb.214621181964920.-2207520000.1368531107.&type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you said Hi as you ran past our group. Well done that is a fantastic first half marathon. I wondered how you got on and since we didn't catch you I knew you must have done well, delighted for you:)
    yeah that was me. thx for your words of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

This was my 1st half marathon and while I was aiming to just finish I was secretly hoping to be close to 2 hours (silly I know).
    I was on track for approx 2:05 until I got to 12/13KM in and my hamstring tightened up and from there on I lost approx 1 minute per KM so ended up with a 2:13 as my finish time.
    While I met my original target of finishing I was slightly disappointed that I wasn't closer to 2 hours but that's the 1st one out of the way and time now to learn my lessons from it and kick on to get a few more under the belt and aim for DCM later this year.

Anyways enough of me moaning about my own race, I have to really compliment the organization on the day there was great support from the marshals, Gardaí and locals along the route.. I was very impressed with the goody bag and how efficient the bag drop and collection was for a race of that size. It's definitely a race that I will mark on my calendar again for next year and this time will have trained properly for it.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barbaramc

Firstly, sincere thanks to the organisers & volunteers, it was a well organised event and we thoroughly enjoyed it - from the course, support, finish, tshirt & goodie bag! Great stuff, thank you! I did the 10km (in 56mins taking 3 minutes off my Great Ireland Run time! :-) ) my boyfriend did the 1/2 Marathon in 1.57 :-) good prep for him doing the Berlin Marathon in September.

The only comment I have to make is on the medal. It says Run Kildare Marathon 2013 on it. I can not justify having this medal as I only ran 10km. The fabulous people (I think over 400 of them) who slogged out the 26.2miles thoroughly deserve this medal, not the rest of us who didn't even complete a marathon. I've done two marathons in my day, and my prize possession is my medal - that i'm delighted to have as I completed them.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions on this, i'd talked a few other 'runners' out there who have similarly done some marathons now doing a few 10km / 1/2 marathons and they agree, but i'd love to hear everyone elses views.

Just my pennies worth!

Thanks again for a great day out! We will see you next year!

B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Barbaramc wrote: »
    Firstly, sincere thanks to the organisers & volunteers, it was a well organised event and we thoroughly enjoyed it - from the course, support, finish, tshirt & goodie bag! Great stuff, thank you! I did the 10km (in 56mins taking 3 minutes off my Great Ireland Run time! :-) ) my boyfriend did the 1/2 Marathon in 1.57 :-) good prep for him doing the Berlin Marathon in September.

The only comment I have to make is on the medal. It says Run Kildare Marathon 2013 on it. I can not justify having this medal as I only ran 10km. The fabulous people (I think over 400 of them) who slogged out the 26.2miles thoroughly deserve this medal, not the rest of us who didn't even complete a marathon. I've done two marathons in my day, and my prize possession is my medal - that i'm delighted to have as I completed them.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions on this, i'd talked a few other 'runners' out there who have similarly done some marathons now doing a few 10km / 1/2 marathons and they agree, but i'd love to hear everyone elses views.

Just my pennies worth!

Thanks again for a great day out! We will see you next year!

B :)

I'm a bit of an outlier on this topic. I believe the first three should get medals. The rest? Top, memories, pics, printable finisher's time diploma yoke. So I'm DEFINITELY with you on the 10 k people not getting a medal saying XYZ marathon!

Advertisement