Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2012

Options
  • 23-11-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

So what's it like this year? Hoping to get in next week. Any tips n. What to munch on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'd like to hear some reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lots of food stalls. Didn't get a chance to try anything in it yet though. Gonna do that next week!

They should probably limit the number of woolly hat and scarf stalls though! I like the Christmas decorations in the tent but not sure about the prices when McD's is doing lovely stuff for cheaper just 5 mins away.

You can't beat the atmosphere though. I love the feeling it brings to the city. I'd like to go again but later in the evening when there's less kids and buggies around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'm going to pop in tomorrow evening for a look around.

So, if you could only buy one savory and one sweet food item from the market what would you recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'm going to pop in tomorrow evening for a look around.

So, if you could only buy one savory and one sweet food item from the market what would you recommend.
    Pork wrap and anything from the French bakery tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

No Baileys coffees/hot chocolates :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

xo.mary wrote: »
    No Baileys coffees/hot chocolates :(

I think you can get them in the tent across from the Skeff

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I think you can get them in the tent across from the Skeff
    Yep they have hot choc and saw Baileys behind the counter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I think its smaller this year than the last two years. There are far less stalls spread over the same amount of space. Im a little disappointed about that to be honest, less choice of food etc. Anybody know why it has been shrunk this year?

The mulled wine cabin this year is great though. Its bigger than I remember and the wine itself is much nicer. (Last year one of the places had mulled wine that was sickly sweet, almost like Ribena!).

My suggestion of something everyone should try is the Coconut Macaroons. Expensive but very very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

bit disappointing, much smaller than other years. you can see gaps in between the stalls whereas other years there were stalls one after the other. tried the frankfurter was ok, thought other years you had choice of spicy or plain..this year only large or small choice it seems. pulled pork stall had no pork, staff were just standing around filling up the ketchup bottles and OH tried springbok burger and didnt think it was anything amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Very disappointing! Was hopping that things were going to get better year by year. +1 for the mulled wine cabin, very nice spot and nice drink. Had a Corn dog, very nice but i can't understand the price €3!!!! That's for basically a cheap hot dog sausage put on a stick, dunked in a corn batter and deep fried. Very nice but at that price not getting any more. If it was say €1.50 he'd have me coming back day after day! i hope more stalls will arrive and add a little much needed excitement to the whole market.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It does seem much smaller this year, had a bison burger and it was rank! Felt sick afterward. Much less quality than previous years. Very disappointed as loved it the first year. They should bring back the original croud that ran it. They did a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

In there yesterday. Smaller, little choice and a lot of tat. Was down town at the local market earlier that morning. Much better in every way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Great to have it back :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It looks like the atmosphere has been somewhat culled on previous years. Everything about it suggests they're trying to cut costs wherever possible.

I think it was best in year one. A different crew were running it and there was much more food choice. Last year the quality dipped. This year it appears from the early stages that the quantity of stalls has actually dipped also.

Dont see the issue with less stalls, just means there is less tat, no need for any stalls selling hats and scarves etc. Emphasis should be on food and drink really as thats where they will make money. As for people complaining aBout the price of food, there are menus with prices, if its too dear dont buy it, never mind the hindsight whinging. Anyway overall the market is still a positive for me, nice atmosphere, brightens up the place and gets lotsa people into town spending.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Corndog dude is back btw.

If you do try one.... They taste disconcertingly like a hotdog in a donut.
    But somehow it works. I was even sober at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They taste disconcertingly like a hotdog in a donut.

Most excellent description.:D

Unlikely I know, but did anyone spot veggie dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ridiculously disappointing :(

I remember the first year there was this guy selling traditional dutch donuts, and they were absolute heaven! there was a great vegetarian food stand, and loads more that I loved. first time I had some gorgeous burgers, but last year I went for one of the ostrich burgers and what I got was 2 sausages cut in half in a burger bun, it was a joke! last year was a huge let down, but it seems even worse this year. even the beer they serve in the tent is different, I got Fischers there the first year, can't say I'm as fond of Paulaner.

I think it's been different organizers for the past two years, right? really wish the original organizers would come back again, it was absolutely fantastic the first year, seems like there's nothing to draw people in this year except the beer tent and a few food stalls for hungry boozers.

got to try the pulled pork wrap today. complete rip off at 6.50 pork was barely warm and the stuffing was ice cold! the wedges with cheese and garlic on the other hand are yum! and for only 3.50 you gt a big tub of them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fifib wrote: »
    got to try the pulled pork wrap today. complete rip off at 6.50 pork was barely warm and the stuffing was ice cold! the wedges with cheese and garlic on the other hand are yum! and for only 3.50 you gt a big tub of them!

Who's stall was that from?

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Cant think what they are called but they are between the beer tent and the German pretzel stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cant think what they are called but they are between the beer tent and the German pretzel stand.

I know to avoid it so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Links234 wrote: »
    I remember the first year there was this guy selling traditional dutch donuts, and they were absolute heaven!

Aw I had my fingers crossed the Poffertjes would be back :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Corndog dude is back btw.

You have just made my day dr. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I actually think it's better this year.

Bigger range of kids entertainment things this year. And some nice touches, eg imitation picket fences to keep people off the grass, a mistletoe arch (I guess that's what it is), better screening off of the ugly areas behind stall. Stage area seems more accessible.

And it's only the first week, I wouldn't be surprised if some stalls some and go.

its the Adare Farm place - down by beer tent, one of the last stalls as you head over in Skeff direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is it a Christmas market though?

Cheers for stealing my thread OP Christmas market 2012

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is it a Christmas market though?

Without being pedantic, yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Without being pedantic, yes.
    Is there a baby Jesus and a manger and a coca-cola inspired rotund male and a shining star in the east?
    Maybe I'll have a wander myself next week (december)

• Advertisement

I know to avoid it so :pac:
    How dare you :D. I thought it was very nice but it is expensive for what you get. Their dinner box is probably better value as you seem to get a load in it.

Advertisement