Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

tiny little macaroon - 1.50
    they can keep 'em.

went back up this year to see if it had improved from the last two years but it is still the same overpriced rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Kids rides are v.expensive too. A couple of kids and you'll be through €20 in no time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

How dare you :D. I thought it was very nice but it is expensive for what you get. Their dinner box is probably better value as you seem to get a load in it.

How much was le dinner box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

they can keep 'em.

That's not too bad a price if they're good, macarons are tricky and time consuming to make, I wouldn't mind paying if I thought they were worth it. I was going to get some today but decided to leave it until next week when I won't crush them in my other shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    How much was le dinner box?
    Didnt have it but think tis around the 8 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

they can keep 'em.

They're not tiny they're about the average size for a macaroon, in my (admittedly, limited) experience. A mass-produced Bounty bar in your average convenience store costs a euro, so on that basis I don't think the price is an outrage. Also, the market's macaroons are usually straight out of the oven and still warm. I like them but couldn't eat more than one as they are very sweet.

I just need to say this, because it's a minor bugbear of mine.

The little many coloured pastries you get in French bakeries made with almonds and filled with butter cream, are Macarons.

The biscuity looking things with made with coconut shavings and egg whites are Macaroons.

Macaron:
    rose-macaron.png

Macaroon:
    250px-Macaroons_in_detail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

They're not tiny they're about the average size for a macaroon, in my (admittedly, limited) experience. A mass-produced Bounty bar in your average convenience store costs a euro, so on that basis I don't think the price is an outrage. Also, the market's macaroons are usually straight out of the oven and still warm. I like them but couldn't eat more than one as they are very sweet.

double the price of what they are in bakeries. but hey, if you think they are worth it, go ahead. enjoy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

double the price of what they are in bakeries. but hey, if you think they are worth it, go ahead. enjoy :D:D

I will! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Haven't managed to make it this year yet. Was disappointed the first year and more disappointed the second year. Did like the Corn dogs and the kids loved them.

But the original idea was a 'Continental market' or 'German market'. I've been to similar in England and they were brilliant. Basically they offered things you couldn't get elsewhere. Things like German wooden toys and other typical European items. There was some attempt the first year but I think it was watered down because the local shopkeepers are too shortsighted to realise that anything that brings people into town is good and has a trickle down effect. There were complaints that there weren't enough local businesses represented. But that's hardly the point, I can go to the local business all year round. The whole idea of these markets are the novelty value of seeing and being able to buy things you simply don't get elsewhere.

The original idea of a continental market was sound. Pity they didn't stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Bigger range of kids entertainment things this year.

I didn't check it out properly yet, but it looked as if there was just the carousel. I like that about last year with the slide, there was a couple of fun things for the kids.

The kids have liked Santa's grotto there the last 2 years. I like the atmosphere of being in the elements in the market to see Santa.

But the main thing is the corndogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

I'm going to pop in tomorrow evening for a look around.

So, if you could only buy one savory and one sweet food item from the market what would you recommend.
    the american corndogs are delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

The garlic and cheese wedges are savage and you get absolutely loads for €3.50, also my 3 year old is a huge fan of the kangaroo sausages :D
    It is smaller than previous years but i still love it, long may it last!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Hey, we have a couple slots to fill on the stage this weekend, 5-6pm firstly this evening and 1-2pm tomorrow, if any musician/band or any kind of entertainer is interested, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Visited last Saturday, thought it was nicely laid out and decorated. Would have liked - as has been mentioned here - some of the stalls with the traditional German wooden toys etc. Loved the Gluhwein in the German place (not the bierhaus) but would advise anyone not to pay the extra euro for a shot of rum in it as it ruins the flavor (in fairness though, it was a nice size shot of rum).

Didn't think prices were too bad considering it's around 6G to have a stall. Have no idea how the sweet stalls will make that back. The stall with the dog clothes was very busy, fair play to him.

I did think the price was a bit high for the carousel though. Surely dropping a euro off the price would entice more on?

Back to the whole Macaroon and Macaron thing earlier, both are available in the market this year from two separate french bakeries.

the macaroons are being sold by the big bakery tent, are €1.50 and a bloody huge, and then just around the corner facing the founatin there is a little hut selling a load of different coloured macarons, which are a euro, which isn't a terrible price.

I tried both.
    The Macaroon I had was chocolate dipped and delicious, they are really big, you'd be hard pressed to eat two of them, and comapred to the price of pastries in local bakeries, they are an absolute bargain, easily bigger than the cupcakes or muffins you get locally for twice the price and a lot tastier. I wish somewhere in town sold them all year round.
    The Macaron I had was a beautiful Orange Macaron with a Belgian Chocolate butter cream, and damned near perfect. Chewy, soft, moist, lovely sharp orange taste perfectly offset the richness of the filling.

Will definitely be picking up more of both!

Oh so the macarons are €1.00, that's definitely not bad, must get a few flavours! Silly similar words confusing people. Tried to eat two macaroons last year, nearly died, so think I'll stay away from them this year, can still remember the coconutty overfull feeling :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Had a terrible pork wrap. Threw half of it away it was that bad. Luckily the large hot dog stand was nearby, those things are savage.

c_man wrote: »
    Had a terrible pork wrap. Threw half of it away it was that bad. Luckily the large hot dog stand was nearby, those things are savage.

What was wrong with it? Just curious as to why you threw it away instead of going back and complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

The macaroons were yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

What was wrong with it? Just curious as to why you threw it away instead of going back and complaining.

This is the main one I want to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

The pork wraps/baps are great when theyre busy and made fresh. When the stand is quiet they give them to you ready made out of a drawer. I saw them taking one out of the drawer for me so asked the guys if I could have a fresh one instead, they made it up there and then and it was excellent! The garlic/cheese wedges are nice too, and pretty good value at 3.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone tried a zebra burger yet :p

Was down today for the 2nd time and there definitely seemed to be more stands this week, was tempted to try something from the exotic meat stand but opted for a corn dog, pretzel and a couple of macarons instead, all delicious

Just back from it now, it was great! Currently enjoying macaroons AND macarons :) I had a kangaroo burger, it was lovely, then shared the wedges with garlic and cheese with himself, they were divine, best I've tasted in year. Then we had a hot whiskey and mulled wine, very nice. Lovely atmosphere there, tempted to buy Bert & Ernie knitted hats but could only find Ernie!

Edit: Raspberry and lemon macarons taste of nothing.

Edit #2: Harps the OH had the zebra burger, said it was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Got in on the Macaroon/Macaron gig myself this evening.

To be honest I'd say that I found the macaroon a little dry, tasty all the same.
    Got a selection of macarons. They are very good, for me the white chocolate and the pistachio ones were the tastiest of the five I bought.

There was a good auld atmosphere in there and a lot of people around.
    Any recommendations on the exotic burger choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

If you take a lease in a shopping centre one of the main terms is an obligation to stay open during normal trading hours of the shopping centre. I don't know whether the Christmas Market didn't bother including a similar term in their leases or they did included it but are not enforcing it. But either way it is extremely frustrating to arrive there at 6:45 PM and find half the stalls closed already even though the advertising says it is open until 8PM. The worst was the carousel that had people just finishing up a ride as we were walking towards it but decided to shut down immediately and wouldn't let my kids have a go (this was before 7PM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah I probably should have but I'm Irish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Didn't think much of the place to be honest. It was just food, food, food. The authentic German markets have so much more to offer.
    Also, I saw a comment on their FB page about someone being short changed and then basically intimidated and threatened with legal action when she tried to get her money back! Nice! :eek:

Very disappointed with the macarons overall, out of 7 flavours we tried only one tasted of anything at all, the coffee one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Had a proper stroll through with the family at the weekend. It's funny that it's smaller yet feel just as crowded. All it takes is one woman with a buggy or two people stopping for a chat and the paths back up. They're clearly trying to respond to this every year and I think part of the problem is that the park's paths, which are also used in the market, just don't have the capacity. The paths should be twice or thrice as wide. Maybe they'd be better off setting up in South Park where they simply have a field and can lay it out properly.

As I mentioned before it's a pity they don't have a few more kid activities / rides. The big slide last year was a good addition. A simple bouncy castle of €3 for 15 minutes would be something.

Corn dogs were lovely and the little bar selling hot drings (next door) was nice. The beer keller was right full Sat afternoon and looked nice. There should have been more German, or otherwise authentic, contenential crafts. I saw some cheap imported tack from spain / india which hardly qualifies. The only real crafts I could see were by the nuns from Belarus.

Advertisement