Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish selection advice

Options
  • 23-11-2012 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭

Read here plenty for advice, but this is my first post!

Just restarted my tank, cycled it for about 4 weeks. Added two jewel cichlids and one Yellow Tail Acei about a week and a half ago and all going well.

Was thinking of adding 5-6 Tiger Barbs and wondering if they will work with what I have? Really like the Barbs and wud love a School of them.

What other fish would you recommend? Want fish that will swim the tank and not hide away!

I've a 240ltr thank plenty of plastic plants in it some rockery, a roman castle 12 or so outlets so plenty of hiding spots and holes to swim through. Water temp 78f

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Soups123 wrote: »
    Read here plenty for advice, but this is my first post!

Just restarted my tank, cycled it for about 4 weeks. Added two jewel cichlids and one Yellow Tail Acei about a week and a half ago and all going well.

Was thinking of adding 5-6 Tiger Barbs and wondering if they will work with what I have? Really like the Barbs and wud love a School of them.

What other fish would you recommend? Want fish that will swim the tank and not hide away!

I've a 240ltr thank plenty of plastic plants in it some rockery, a roman castle 12 or so outlets so plenty of hiding spots and holes to swim through. Water temp 78f

Hi,

Check here for fish compatibility: http://www.recipeapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/freshwater-fish-compatibility-chart.jpg

Bear in mind that these are guides only. A large tank for example decreases aggression, while a small tank does the opposite. providing authentic environments decreases aggression, not doing so the opposite etc.

You have a problem in that your cichlids are not really compatible with much anything other than cichlids. Added to which cichlids prefer hard water and a rocky environment, while most other tropical fish prefer soft water with plenty of plants....

You can try tetras, as they tend not to be aggressive. Rummynose tetra in particular are active little fish that will swim the length of your tank.

Danios are quite good for this also!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

CruelCoin wrote: »

Hi,

Check here for fish compatibility: http://www.recipeapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/freshwater-fish-compatibility-chart.jpg

Bear in mind that these are guides only. A large tank for example decreases aggression, while a small tank does the opposite. providing authentic environments decreases aggression, not doing so the opposite etc.

You have a problem in that your cichlids are not really compatible with much anything other than cichlids. Added to which cichlids prefer hard water and a rocky environment, while most other tropical fish prefer soft water with plenty of plants....

You can try tetras, as they tend not to be aggressive. Rummynose tetra in particular are active little fish that will swim the length of your tank.

Danios are quite good for this also!

Thanks CC
    You reckon Tetra's and Danio's could go in with the Cichlids?

The linked guide is great haven't seen anything like that before, really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Soups123 wrote: »
    Thanks CC
    You reckon Tetra's and Danio's could go in with the Cichlids?

The linked guide is great haven't seen anything like that before, really helpful.

Allo,

Barbs could go with your cichlids, tetras will not, danios will not.

Best bet is to go for an all cichlid tank, or a no cichlid tank.

Here is another cool tool for you: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Based on tank size, filter performance and stocking, it'll tell you how much water to change each week, ideal temperature, ideal ph, etc.

One note: if you cannot find your filter listed, the choose "user defined" and enter how many litres a tank your filter is rated for.

Second note: This guide errs on the side of extreme caution with stocking levels, so take it with a pinch of salt.

CC.

Advertisement