Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gathering 2013

• 24-11-2012 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Have you heard of any Gatherings in Limerick?

Most of the ones I have read on their website seem to be events that usually happen, like St. Patrick's Day, Riverfest, and the new 4th July.

What is your take on this? Is there any we should watch out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think Gabriel Byrne recently summed up "The Gathering" perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

There was a meeting on The Gathering recently in The Strand Hotel.

It was a focus group style meeting and a few suggestions were put forward and people had to put their name as an 'organiser' to any suggestion submitted. I am sure they will be online soon! If you have an interest in getting involved in any events maybe you should contact The Gathering directly or view events on http://www.thegatheringireland.com/Search-Results.aspx?searchtext=Limerick&searchmode=anyword .

From what I heard at the meeting there is big plans for Limerick city for summer events, tbh I think they are just in the planning process right now and will be published close to Jan/Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

One of the ideas (put forward by Gilligan) is for the city council to go into the red in terms of it's budget and advertise Limerick as the original home of the Gathering.

Have to say that it is looking like Limerick is going to lag way behind the other cities and big towns again as many of the others cities have already finalised much of their event planning and are already in the organising stage.Limerick on the other hand has folk who are hoping to be where the other cities are now in a few months.

Really cannot understand why the planning of event takes so long, or rather the actual starting of a planning stage. It always seems to be done at fairly short notice and lacks the long terms planning that really successful events need.

Hope I am wrong but big summer events for The Gathering or otherwise really should be beyond the early planning stages at this point. It is not as though the idea of the Gathering in 2013 was just dropped on people out of the blue in recent months. The Cork branch of my business is going to be involved with a Gathering event in Cork and I had to ensure my end of things was up to speed a couple months ago in terms of what I was committing to and what I was bringing to the event as well as having much of the logistics already nailed down.

I just hope that the Limerick folk organising Limerick events get up to speed quickly and don't just try to lazily tag the Gathering onto events that already happen in the Limerick. The Gathering may be seen by many as a bit of a wishy washy idea but from a business pov it is something that could help a lot of different types of businesses all over Ireland if organisers, business owners etc all get stuck in regardless of their own motivations behind getting involved.

Advertisement