Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us your nebula and planets.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Wailin wrote: »

Thanks Zeroy, the scope is an 80mm ED refractor, 600mm focal length so it has a nice wide field of view. The other shots may have been cropped, can't remember, so they are not at the full field of view in the pics. Detail of M31 is fairly poor in fairness, its definitely one I want to work at.

They look really good, the Orion looks much better than the one from a few days ago. Great shots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

brav wrote: »
    They look really good, the Orion looks much better than the one from a few days ago. Great shots

Thanks Brav, that video link you put up was a great help regarding processing, especially the levels and curves part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Super thread so far.

Any chance people could put what scope they used in all their posts, would be really helpful? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

maybe a template for posting the technical details should be adopted for posts.

maybe a template for posting the technical details should be adopted for posts.

Yeah would be a great idea IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I thought I'd post up some of my first ever attempts. These were taken a few years ago now (09) with a monochrome Meade deep sky imager II through a 10" Newtonian on a CG5 mount. A setup that is much too unstable for long exposure work, but I hope to do some detailed lunar mosaics with the same setup in the near future.

IIRC, M42 and M13 were single exposure shots without any processing. M101 and M51 were small stacks (<20) of pretty short exposures (no more than 20s) with minimal (half-arsed) processing attempts. No calibration files (darks, flats, etc) were used. I think this is the correct chronological order.

m424.png

m132.png

m1011010509.jpg

m512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

My 2nd go at M42 ! , im getting there! :D ... I think now the light pollution is my main problem left now .

8367863284_70efbbd388_z.jpg

40 30" second lights at ISO 400
    D7000 500mm F4 .
    Celestron CG-5 mount.

Stacked with DSS and clean up in CS6.

Thanks to others here that eventually helped me to get to this point with tips and things to get! :)

If anyone wants to have a go at re-editing my original , pm me , im sure my tweaking of random sliders could be done better ha :)

Great to see a new astrophotography forum up and running. Here is another few pics, processing still doing my head in. I like the pleiades one though compared to my earlier efforts, I think I used the lasso too much on M42 and M36 is just horrible with egg shaped stars but what the heck! Just wondering what white balance setting do other people use on their cameras? Was told to use tungsten but tends to give a horrible blue hue to the photo. My main issues so far are polar alignment and light pollution (oh and ****ty weather).

M42 details: 6 subs @ 50sec ISO 800, no darks flats or offsets.

7 sisters details: 50 subs @ 40sec ISO 800, 30 darks and 20 offsets.

M36 details: Can't remember!

PS. Anyone tell me why my pics don't open automatically when posted like one's above?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Fantastic result on a 500mm Lens Ian!
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    My 2nd go at M42 ! , im getting there! :D ... I think now the light pollution is my main problem left now .

You would have to check if LP filter can be obtained for D7000 i guess, or a srew on for the Lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

]Just wondering what white balance setting do other people use on their cameras? Was told to use tungsten but tends to give a horrible blue hue to the photo.

Was using Auto (Canon 1100D) but switched to Daylight now following some docs/tuto I found I think however the best results are obtained with custom WB - remember to select the WB option in DSS!

• Advertisement

Just wondering what white balance setting do other people use on their cameras? Was told to use tungsten but tends to give a horrible blue hue to the photo.

Go with daylight white balance and under RAW/Fits DPP settings in DSS, select the 'use camera white balance' option. If you are using one of the less expensive light pollution filters that have no balance correction, you may need to set a custom white balance in your camera.
    My main issues so far are polar alignment and light pollution (oh and ****ty weather).

How long are you able to push out your subs before you notice trailing? With a polar alignment routine you can expect no more than a minute or so. Drift aligning will give you much more precise alignment and can get you to 90 or 120s or so before periodic error starts to become a problem. Although you have a very nice mount and it may perform better than that with drift alignment. To get even longer you'd need one of the few guiding system options.

PS. Anyone tell me why my pics don't open automatically when posted like one's above?

If you use an image hosting site such as Flickr or Pix.ie you can get links to your pics that you can copy and paste into your posts (it's under the 'Share' button in Flickr). In the photography forum, they use a dimension limit of 800 pixels on the longest edge - something we might want to use here too. Flickr, and im sure the other hosting sites also, will provide links for different sizes of you pic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Fantastic result on a 500mm Lens Ian!

You would have to check if LP filter can be obtained for D7000 i guess, or a srew on for the Lens?

Cheers! :) ....

Theres a slot for a filter in at the front of the lens yes and i think we have a UV one in it atm , so i'll have a look about see what other types can be bought for it.

You need to put the links in image tags like so. Quote my post to see what I mean.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/368783/235814.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/368783/235815.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/368783/235816.jpg

I've only been taking pics from my backyard at the moment so drift alignment is out for me because I don't really have a clear view East or West. I downloaded the latest firmware for the synscan control which has a new polar alignment option and this has improved my feeble attempts I was getting originally. Max time I am getting is 60s but more often its 30-50s, which I suppose is the best I can do anyway due to light pollution.

I definitely want to do autoguiding though, especially for dark sites, and have been reading up lots about it. Would you recommend a decent system thats not too expensive Tzetze? Any thoughts on stand alone systems such as this ://www.firstlightohttpptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-synguider-autoguider.html or the following http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_Magnificent_Mini_AutoGuider_Package.html? They seem simple enough and not too pricey, just wondering how well they actually work, can't seem to find too much about them.

keane2097 wrote: »

Thanks Keane, look how much they've blown up.....now they look even worse:D

I don't know anything about the autoguiders tbh. They are popular though and seem like a simple solution in that they remove the need for using guiding software. From what I've seen others use, the QHY5 Guider + ST 80 is a very successful and widely used setup.

One thing to bear in mind about guiding is that it doesn't remove the need to accurately align. You want your guider to have to make as few corrections as possible. Drift aligning is still desirable, but you may get away with a good polar alignment.

Thanks Keane, look how much they've blown up.....now they look even worse:D

The stars look good in the centre of the FOV. It's spherical abberation that's causing the stretched stars at the edges. A field flattener will sort that out.

Maybe you should just post links :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I have a starshoot autoguider and ST 80 set up. Auto guiders dont auto guide - they use PHD like webcams. The difference is: the guide port is on the camera, you dont have to use a seperate serial / usb output cable. Well, supposedly though my on camera the guide port stops working below 10 degrees so I have to use a serial cable anyway. As Tzeetze said you need a very good polar align before you can use autoguiding. PHD initally calibrates itself assuming a stationary star. If that star moves at all - bye bye guiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Tzetze wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the autoguiders tbh. They are popular though and seem like a simple solution in that they remove the need for using guiding software. From what I've seen others use, the QHY5 Guider + ST 80 is a very successful and widely used setup.

One thing to bear in mind about guiding is that it doesn't remove the need to accurately align. You want your guider to have to make as few corrections as possible. Drift aligning is still desirable, but you may get away with a good polar alignment.
    Yes you have to have good polar allignament.I have LVI Smartguider and ST80 combo and was taking 3min exposures no bother.Done a 6min one out of curiosity and still got perfect round stars without any need of drift alligement.
    I have to say that i used 80mm scope on NEQ6 mount and the target was right above my head tho....didnt tried shooting near enough the horizon due to light pollution etc but it would be interesting to know how it would perform.

• Advertisement

How do you mount the ST80 to the imaging scope securely and avoiding flexure? I have an ED80 on an NEQ6 and am wondering would I need a special mounting bracket to attach the ST80.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

How do you mount the ST80 to the imaging scope securely and avoiding flexure? I have an ED80 on an NEQ6 and am wondering would I need a special mounting bracket to attach the ST80.
    well it all depends...What kind of rings are used with your ED80??
    I had to buy a set of these :
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/william-optics-90mm-cnc-tube-rings.html
    then a couple of 15cm dovetails as these :
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html
    And a set of guide scope rings simillar to those :
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-guidescope-rings.html
    Basically i screwed the 2 plates on top and bottom of my rings and guide rings went ontop.The bottom one used to mount the system to the mount.And presto you are good to go.
    i know there are side by side mountings such as these :
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-guidescope-rings-and-systems/adm-losmandy-style-dual-mounting-bar.html
    They suppose to be better for balancing but since i bought everything second hand it worked out alot cheaper for me...

I have the same imaging scope as yourself Wailin and I used a set of these guidescope rings to mount the guidescope.

Thanks guys, great help as usual.

Advertisement