Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD A10 vs i5. buying a samsung

Options
  • 24-11-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I was going to purchase this http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Samsung_355V5C_1217858.html
    My last samsung broke from a fall! it was sandybridge i5 2nd gen.

I am wondering is the AMd processor faster than a 3rd gen i5? because some google reviews say no, then there are plenty reviews of it vesus i7s (it loses there obv)
    But are most i5 faster than the A10 4600M 2nd gen?

(i wont be gaming much on the laptop)

ALSO internal bluetooth needed, is this a simple install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The i5 would be quite a bit more powerful with raw CPU power. The AMD just has good graphics, making it more suitable for games against Intel machines in a similar price region.

If you're not gaming then it's not really worth your while to get one of the AMD APUs unless it's a really good deal.

Edit: I suppose it's also worth considering that i5s in laptops are dual cores, so with applications that are heavily threaded, the AMD could potentially be better (but in general, not really).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 froglet

Monotype wrote: »
    The i5 would be quite a bit more powerful with raw CPU power. The AMD just has good graphics, making it more suitable for games against Intel machines in a similar price region.

If you're not gaming then it's not really worth your while to get one of the AMD APUs unless it's a really good deal.

Edit: I suppose it's also worth considering that i5s in laptops are dual cores, so with applications that are heavily threaded, the AMD could potentially be better (but in general, not really).

thanks. I can get 20% off it so its 495 euro with the AMD A10.
    Its cheap, but my last samsung felt abit plasticy and not sturdy. And this one doesnt have bluetooth that i would need for mouse/headphones/ phone-pictures.
    If i wasnt getting 20% i wouldnt have the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I have this laptop only with the a8 and it did not say that bluetooth came with it but it had bluetooth but turned out it had bluetooth in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can get small bluetooth adapters that you'd hardly even notice. You'd be down one USB port down, but 3 left isn't bad at all. I suppose you could also get mini PCI-E cards. You'd need a free slot though and they'd probably need to be connected to an aerial to be effective. The thing to do would be to replace a wifi mini PCI-E card with a combo wifi and bluetooth.

At under €500, it's actually quite a good price. You'd be competing against the third generation i3s. The A10 has turbo which increases the clock speed of one or two cores, while decreasing the other cores, which should allow it to overtake the i3. i5s have turbo themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 froglet

thanks deisedave, you sure? ive seen it on a few different sites and its the only samsung one that says nothing about BT on all sites.

@mono, I have a bluetooth dongle that i needed for the desktop..its only works half the time, you have to manually pair it everytime and enter the 0000 pairing code! and restart the computer if my headphones disconnected out of range!
    If i replace the wifi card it will cost me +50 and i have to install it! so it doesnt make the comp that much of a bargain, Unless deisedave is right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement