Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velux windows / sky light - is planning permission required?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I convert my attic can I put in Velux windows in with no permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

What is the purpouse for the conversion? Will it be a bedroom for example or just used for storage?

You will need to check with your local authority as it varies from council to council. Generally if it is rear facing and doesnt overlook neighbors you will not need PP

Also where will the window be facing, to the rear of the house, the front or the side? And will it be overlookin a neighbouring property?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

To the back of the house no.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Is that always the case? even if its looking directly into another property?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I put some in the back of the house years ago, had to get planning, was overlooking no one. Maybe my mistake was asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

phormium wrote: »
    I put some in the back of the house years ago, had to get planning, was overlooking no one. Maybe my mistake was asking!

I don't think it matters if its overlooking somebody else or not, you should ask the planning dept in the local council. The real problem would arise if you didn't get planning and some nosy **** neighbour reported you for it, it happens a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It normally isn't a problem if it is at the rear of the property.

However, if it is an existing two-storey property, be very wary of using the space as a bedroom as it is much harder to escape in the event of a fire and you will need to make alterations to the rest of the house. Do not skimp on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why not have a word with the council planning dept?

Advertisement