Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Straffan Road M4 junction?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Motion from John McGinley for December meeting of Celbridge Area Committee

"That the National Roads Authority (NRA) be advised that we are totally opposed to the replacement of the M4 Motorway junction on the Straffan Road with a new junction on the Kilcock Road west of Maynooth."

Anyone know any more about this? I've mailed John for more details but I can't find info about this junction being removed on the NRA site. Idiotic idea to remove it if true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Hadn't heard that. Sounds ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Came on to ask the same question myself. John wasn't able to give me any more information than was in the letter. Nothing on the NRA site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

A second junction on the Kilcock side would free up alot of college traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Staplor wrote: »
    A second junction on the Kilcock side would free up alot of college traffic.
    It doesn't look like it will be a second junction, according to the OP it will be replacing the Straffan Road junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

No sure what the proposals are but something needs to be done, traffic in maynooth is cronic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

vektarman wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it will be a second junction, according to the OP it will be replacing the Straffan Road junction.

Well that is poo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

an additional junction would be nice but getting rid of the current one would be a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

vektarman wrote: »

I'm just quoting a motion from John too. tbh I don't know where this came from - I can't find it on the NRA site either.

It would be insanity to remove it. Adding a second one makes sense and would take a lot of traffic out of the town. Replacing it would just change the direction of the traffic. Imaging the school runs and all motorway traffic going in the same direction instead of opposite directions as they are now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

It would be great if they could somehow link up the new college/library entrances with the M4 at some stage in the future, and take the NUIM North Campus traffic at the very least out of the town.
    The difference in Maynooth over the summer traffic wise is surreal, especially compared with the new design on the Kilcock Rd, where there's minor mayhem now on a dark evening if buses are pulled in on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems to be an NTA proposal. If they spent the funding on building the long promised ring road a decent amount of traffic would use the Celbridge Interchange anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MYOB wrote: »
    Seems to be an NTA proposal.

You have any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MYOB wrote: »
    Seems to be an NTA proposal. If they spent the funding on building the long promised ring road a decent amount of traffic would use the Celbridge Interchange anyway.

I'll assume that is not a typo and you are referring to the 'National Transport Authority' rather than the NRA (which is what John McGinley is referring to), so probably worth highlighting this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67364332

Without getting a better idea of the plans, it's really hard to say what the impact will be. I agree on the ring road, even if I do use the existing 'bypass' to the north of the town to access the Celbridge Interchange myself from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

Sounds to me like they're proposing building a bigger interchange similar to the Kilcock one? I'm guessing that they'd build it near the current Rathcoffey road bridge, with a slip road of some sort from the roundabout across to the R148 and another one back to the Straffan Road. So traffic on the roundabout can choose which of the 3 roads it wants to use to enter the town (straffan, kilcock, rathcoffey)? Surely this would greatly relieve pressure in the town centre - no reason for anyone living on these 3 roads to use the main street anymore unless they're going to Dunboyne/Tesco. It works very effectively in Kilcock, so why not Maynooth too. Look at the Kilcock junction on googlemaps and picture the exact same thing at Maynooth. I think it's a great idea.

Advertisement