Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busy roads with an island/median in Drogheda/surrounding areas?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 9:26am

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone would happen to know if there's anywhere around the place were I could find a road that would have a large median (large enough to park a van at an angle).

Had been planning to take a photograph of a vehicle like this on O Connell St. in Dublin, outside the GPO (massive empty median there, with two lanes of traffic each side, which would have been perfect, but since I'd come up with that idea, the Dublin Christmas Tree has been erected in that spot I believe, and the photograph can't be seasonal).

o-connell-street-006.jpg

I'm aware it's extremely unlikely that I'd find such a large median on any roads in Drogheda or the surrounding areas, but it doesn't need to be that big. As I say, if I can park a van at an angle I'd be happy enough.

The most important aspect is that there has to be moving traffic either side (van will be photographed with traffic either side in the photo).

I was thinking of the Island at the Junction of the bridge of peace (not quite a median, but it does have traffic all around it) but I'm not quite sure if the island there would sufficiently fit a van or not. Think it may be too small. :(

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

The M1?

kbell wrote: »
    The M1?

I'll need to set up light stands and tripod and such. Might be seen as a hazard. :p:o

• Registered Users Posts: 41 irjudge

There are easier ways to get killed!

But sure you might try the ends of the median on the Donore road on the approach to the M1. There is a barrier for most of it but the barrier terminates about 10m short of the roundabout at either end. If you shoot from the roundabout central island you might get the shot you're looking for (and possibly some sort of fine for public nuisance or traffic offences.

Best of luck with the lunacy.

BTW if you're seelling chips or coffee, probably not the best spot.

irjudge wrote: »
    There are easier ways to get killed!

But sure you might try the ends of the median on the Donore road on the approach to the M1. There is a barrier for most of it but the barrier terminates about 10m short of the roundabout at either end. If you shoot from the roundabout central island you might get the shot you're looking for (and possibly some sort of fine for public nuisance or traffic offences.

Best of luck with the lunacy.

BTW if you're seelling chips or coffee, probably not the best spot.

It's for a photograph, not looking to position a van to sell things. :P

There's not enough space, unfortunately, on that median.

By the time I fit the van in, I'd need to move back a fair bit to get the whole thing in the shot (it's a large van) which means the railing would inevitably get in there somewhere along the way.

Still thinking that maybe the bridge of peace is possible the best location but it's a bit of a messy spot. The islands all have signposts and such from what I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

KKV wrote: »

It's for a photograph, not looking to position a van to sell things. :P

There's not enough space, unfortunately, on that median.

By the time I fit the van in, I'd need to move back a fair bit to get the whole thing in the shot (it's a large van) which means the railing would inevitably get in there somewhere along the way.

Still thinking that maybe the bridge of peace is possible the best location but it's a bit of a messy spot. The islands all have signposts and such from what I recall.
    Possiblity of photoshopping out the railing perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

You would probably be best to check with guards first before doing the shoot as I reckon you could get fined if you were caught.

I don't think you will find a large median big enough to park a van across the only option one I can think of is up by woodies towards M1, to get good shots especially if your planning on adding lights etc... I reckon you would have a better chance of finding a concrete or bricked roundabout I cant thing of any off the top of my head but it might be wroth taking a spin around and looking at roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

What about the flyover looking down onto the Cable Bridge? You might not get the van onto it, but you might be able to park at the hard shoulder (where the retail park can be seen) and walk over?

As highlandseoghan said, might be best to check with the Gardaí just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Theres a few medians and spaces as you come off the M1 at Swords / Donabate and head towards swords there might be a few road signs in the shot but you could always photoshop these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Theres a few medians and spaces as you come off the M1 at Swords / Donabate and head towards swords there might be a few road signs in the shot but you could always photoshop these out.
    Plenty of road works there too....

OP Please don't stop on a motorway, it's illegal and as much as I don't want you to kill yourself I'd also rather you lessened the risk of causing an accident and killing me / somebody I know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

What about the below on the old N1 heading towards Balbriggan? A decent size island, so should be safe enough.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.646088,-6.247948&spn=0.005056,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.646055,-6.247837&panoid=93GzzKjimu_MchC7w6t7Hg&cbp=12,320.21,,0,13.72

• Advertisement
Advertisement