Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busy roads with an island/median in the city?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 9:28am

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone would happen to know if there's anywhere around the place were I could find a road that would have a large median (large enough to park a van at an angle).

Had been planning to take a photograph of a vehicle like this on O Connell St. in Dublin, outside the GPO (massive empty median there, with two lanes of traffic each side, which would have been perfect, but since I'd come up with that idea, the Dublin Christmas Tree has been erected in that spot I believe, and the photograph can't be seasonal, which rules that spot out).

o-connell-street-006.jpg

Median wouldn't necessarily need to be that big. Van at a 45 degree angle would be great, but any kind of slight angle could potentially work (just can't shoot it straight-on). The most important aspect is that there has to be moving traffic either side (van will be photographed with traffic either side in the photo).

I'm not familiar with Dublin at all, really (so i also posted a similar thread in the Louth forum) but I just thought I'd ask and hope for the best. Would anyone have any idea at all?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

There is a median on Baggott Street but there are trees on it, lack of leaves might make it seasonal though.

There is also an island outside Pearse St. Garda station, but I think I've seen a Christmas tree there in previous years.

Could you use a spot further up O'Connell St.?

There is also an island on Leeson St opposite the Burlington.

None of those are exactly as your photo but might work from the right angle.

hardCopy wrote: »
    There is a median on Baggott Street but there are trees on it, lack of leaves might make it seasonal though.

There is also an island outside Pearse St. Garda station, but I think I've seen a Christmas tree there in previous years.

Could you use a spot further up O'Connell St.?

There is also an island on Leeson St opposite the Burlington.

None of those are exactly as your photo but might work from the right angle.

Well, see the van is quite large, so I'd need a fair bit of free space (I know further up O Connell street there are statues and trees, etc. dotted about the place, which means that even if i did get the van parked up comfortably, by the time i back up enough to get the whole thing in the photo, there'd no-doubt be a tree between me and the van). :o

Not familiar with Baggot Street (Ah here?!) or Pearse St. Garda Station but I'll take a look at both on Google Earth and see if they look usable :)

Thanks HardCopy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

would the island at the intersection of leeson street and st. stephens green work? - saw a van travelling from the west on SSG pull up on to that island during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dubhaltach wrote: »

While the median is ok, im thinking KKV wants some decent background in the picture, something thats recognised etc

Maybe liberty hall would be visiable from Beresford Place though?

What about parked in a loading bay outside a key building, like the city council offices, or Liberty Hall (as **** as it is i know) or the point Village?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

Hey OP, you might want to take a look at Sean Moore Road / or 'Sean O Moore Road' as it is on Google maps / streetview - it stretches from Beach Road in Irishtown to a roundabout along the 131, abutting the former glass bottle site ... Circa 400 metres of approx. 5 metre wide 'ghost island' of hatched lines is present so as to encourage drivers to stay within the 50 kph limit. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cornmarket/High Street area.

uberwolf wrote: »
    would the island at the intersection of leeson street and st. stephens green work? - saw a van travelling from the west on SSG pull up on to that island during the week.

Ah, unfortunately there are too many poles along that island. Would've worked otherwise, though. :)
    Dubhaltach wrote: »

Luas is fine, there, but the railings do, unfortunately, make it unusable.

kceire wrote: »
    While the median is ok, im thinking KKV wants some decent background in the picture, something thats recognised etc

Maybe liberty hall would be visiable from Beresford Place though?

What about parked in a loading bay outside a key building, like the city council offices, or Liberty Hall (as **** as it is i know) or the point Village?

To be honest, there doesn't need to be anything of note in the picture. The emphasis is to be entirely on the van. Give me two minutes and I'll get a rough paint drawing up of what I'm looking to achieve :)

Poster Boy wrote: »
    Hey OP, you might want to take a look at Sean Moore Road / or 'Sean O Moore Road' as it is on Google maps / streetview - it stretches from Beach Road in Irishtown to a roundabout along the 131, abutting the former glass bottle site ... Circa 400 metres of approx. 5 metre wide 'ghost island' of hatched lines is present so as to encourage drivers to stay within the 50 kph limit. Hope that helps smile.png

That looks ideal, with the exception of the black 'construction' walls along one side of the road that are present in google street view. Do you know if those are still there in real life?

Cornmarket/High Street area.

From looking at the area, it seems all the island have trees/bushes on them, or have poles which don't allow traffic onto them.

I appreciate everyone's help so far. Some great suggestions that only have minor things working against them. I'll stick up another reply in a moment when I do a rough drawing (if you could call it that) on paint of what I'm trying to achieve :)

So this is a (very rough!) idea of what I'm looking for (yellow rectangles are supposed to be road markings).

This is looking down from above:

vanshot.jpg

The idea is to do it in the evening/night time and get the traffic surrounding the vehicle rendered as light streaks, so it will look like the streaks are emerging from each side of the van. If you pictured a van in the centre of this photo you'd get an idea of what I mean:

broad_street_at_night.jpg

(the van would block the view of the 'vanishing point' of the lights, so the van would be 'wrapped' with red and white streaks of light surrounding it).

Not sure if that better explains how I see it in my head or not?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Problem with that is that it's (in my experience) a very busy pedestrian crossing.
    You could try slightly further up at the taxi rank.

I suspect it is going to be rather difficult, as there will be trees, poles or railings in many places.

Getting Garda / council approval will be difficult any where there are pedestrians or turning traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

clanbrassil street/new street where farrells pub is?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1 for clanbrassil street. I've seen vans up on the median there a few times.

I don't think baggot street would work, the kerb there is huge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stevenmu wrote: »
    +1 for clanbrassil street. I've seen vans up on the median there a few times.

I don't think baggot street would work, the kerb there is huge.

and there are railings around the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hya KKV.
    There is a spot just outside Busaras (http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.349323,-6.251958&spn=0.00093,0.002768&t=m&z=19), a triangular median. If you go to the east apex facing up Beresford Place you'll get a wash of headlights coming at you on both sides of the street. If you set up on the south apex you'll get breaklight trails on both sides of you. The north apex would give you both headlight and taillight but I'm not sure there is room to set up there. The eastward view might also let you get a overhead trains light trail in too.
    I've been eying up taking some light-trails there for ages but just never got off my arse. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Cheers for all the replies, guys. I'll take a look on Google Earth.

Sorry I'm a bit delayed with replies, but I do sincerely appreciate all of your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Poster Boy

That looks ideal, with the exception of the black 'construction' walls along one side of the road that are present in google street view. Do you know if those are still there in real life?

Alas hoarding is still there and will be for the foreseeable future - 'tis "non-construction" walls around the former glass bottle site for which we, the citizens are on the hook for a few private peoples gamble at 400m. But hey, that's Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

The N11 seems a good choice? 3 lanes of traffic either side with a grass space in the middle the whole way out? Take here, for example?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That would be extremely dangerous, the median is tiny and it's a very fast road!!

What about the median in Ballsbridge village, across the street from the Ladbrooks / Sony Store (now a pizza joint)

https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=ballsbridge+village&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48670ec1077b3405:0x1c1b6f4f4772ee4c,Ballsbridge,+Co.+Dublin&gl=ie&ei=GVC2UJ3kEYa3hQeC44HIAw&ved=0CH4QtgM

Median is small, but given the point of the road (by traffic lights) and at an angle, you might get away with it. ;)

Advertisement