Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cavs ears after grooming

• 24-11-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

my elderly neighbour has a 7 yr old cav, very healthy no problems at all with her health. she asked me to find out for her what could be wrong with her doggies ears. she got libby groomed yesterday as she does reg. before libby went in no problems with ears. came back and poor dog is going mental with her ears.shaking head and going mental, crying and rubbing ears against the floor. i bring libby for walks with my dogs and the difference this morning in the poor thing is horrible. she will be going to vet with her but anyone any ideas why libbys ears would be going mental after cleaning at the groomers. seemed to be nothing wrong before this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It could be possible that the groomer accidentally nicked her ear without realizing, or it could be something like an infection or ear mites. Take a look in her ear and see is it very red or is there a lot of black gunk in it. Did the groomer clean the inside of her ear? Could there be cotton wool or something left behind? Sometimes groomers will pluck the hair inside the ear if its too long so maybe its the first time that happened. Just a few possibilities for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

If the cav is shaking ears excessively best put a snood around the head to stop the ears from flapping, to try and avoid getting a hematoma. Was the cavs ears shaved including inside ear, you could try aloe vera to ease the skin (not in ear canal though).

If the dogs ears were matted the head would be lighter and the dog would not be used to it hence that could be the reason why they dog is flapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

This is one of a few problems - there are either little hairs after going into the ears and they are causing irritation or the inside of the dogs ear was nicked during the groom. If the groomer didn't shave or pluck the ears, it could be a reaction to whatever the groomer used to clean out the ears. All of these problems will clear up in a day or two. If the dog is still clearly irritated by Monday, a vet visit will be needed as there may be an infection in the ears either caused by the groom/clean or by the dog constantly itching. The vet will be able to have a good look into the ear to see what is causing the problems. They will also be able to clean out the ears to ensure there is nothing left inside that could be causing irritation.

I would also contact the groomer and let them know the situation (even if it clears up), regardless of whether they are at fault or not.

Advertisement