Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial Computer

Options
  • 24-11-2012 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need to build a machine that will be located on a factory floor.

Any recommendations for a case? Do I definitely need filters for the airways?

Thanks,
    SS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

spix wrote: »
    budget?

Not really restricted but we'll say max €300 for just a case. It will be costed to the customer and is a relatively small part of the project cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

I would recommend a dust cover for the tower at least.

Check out: http://www.computerdust.com/index.html

I got a couple last year and found them excellent, not cheap. You could probably make them yourself.

This is an example External%2BDust%2BCover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Hi guys,

I need to build a machine that will be located on a factory floor.

Any recommendations for a case? Do I definitely need filters for the airways?

Thanks,
    SS

What kind of environment and what software are you running?

If you don't require a lot of processing power, and its going in a harsh environment, Beckhoff do some really good small industrial PC's that can easily fit in a control panel.

I built a few panels using C6920's before they're not the most powerful spec wise-Core2 Duo etc., but they run Twin cat 3 with ease. they can run windows XP Pro, but I have never tried it. They will easily fit into a standard 300 x 400 x 200 IP55 rated steel enclosure with a 24V DC PSU and a small UPS.

They also have fanless ones, so you don't need to cut vents. No idea how much they cost as the ones I got were free issue-I would guess about 6-700 ish plus the PSU & enclosure etc.
    They do door mounted touch screens as well, but it would be a lot cheaper hang a bog standard monitor KB & mouse off of it instead.
    [URL="[url]http://www.beckhoff.com/english/industrial_pc/bauform.htm?id=15987734960486[/url]"]
    Link[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

If it's a non dusty environment then nothing special needs to be done, maybe the space allocated for the machine may define the form factor for the case. To be safe just make sure you have positive pressure in the case(s) with a filter on the air intake fan(s)

I've worked in industrial environments,(eg kegging plants for breweries) and they would place the monitor and PC within a special plastic housing.
    This was important as the machines were on shelves elevated(at approx chest height) off the ground and could easily be knocked down otherwise.

Very hard to give recommendations without having a better idea of the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

It is for a food production environment so generally a clean place as you would expect.

I could probably get away with a standard steel case once I put it out of harms way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

h2s wrote: »
    I would recommend a dust cover for the tower at least.

Check out: http://www.computerdust.com/index.html

I got a couple last year and found them excellent, not cheap. You could probably make them yourself.

This is an example External%2BDust%2BCover.jpg

Does that not knacker your incoming fans? I'd imagine airflow is seriously reduced?

If its going in a dirty environment Id have it passively watercooled and enclose the whole thing. It doesnt sound like it needs to be a super powerful machine.

Not super powerful.....will be a Core i5 2500K or similar, 8GB RAM, SSD, on-board GPU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement