Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel use for old water tank?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Found a big old galvenised water tank in the attic and was wondering had anybody got any good ideas for it? Its quite an impressive lump of metal and would be a shame to throw it away as well as probably quite expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I half buried a large rectangular plastic water tank and turned it into a small pool. I planted it with lilies and waterweed and now it's a wildlife magnet. The only advice I can give is to not sink it completely to make sure hedgehogs don't drown. I also have a little escape ramp for small mammals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

I half buried a large rectangular plastic water tank and turned it into a small pool. I planted it with lilies and waterweed and now it's a wildlife magnet. The only advice I can give is to not sink it completely to make sure hedgehogs don't drown. I also have a little escape ramp for small mammals.

I had thought of that but to be honest it would require a very big hole and i've nowhere to put the spoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

frankosw wrote: »
    I had thought of that but to be honest it would require a very big hole and i've nowhere to put the spoil.

Dig a hole big enough for both ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague recently got over €60 for an old immersion tank (copper), based on the scrap value of the metal. it might be worth investigating how much (if anything) that tank is worth, in case you could get a purpose-built pond for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They make excellent DIY rainwater harvesting tanks. Simply place on blocks and connect feed hose to nearest rainwater pipe (RWP)/adjust the RWP to supply rain to tank (check to see if you may need an overflow?).

The tanks can be unsightly, this is easily remedied by cladding with timber. To prevent any debris/leaf falling into tank, simple place a robust metal mesh across top. Don't forget to fit a tap. A more labour saving idea would be to simply connect a manual programmer and use water to irrigate selected plants via an irrigation pipe, dripline etc

• Advertisement

The current Carlsberg ads feature good tips on how to dispose of excavated soil.

Cheers

Boom Boom!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Use it to collect rain water and pump it to your attic tank

tiny timy wrote: »
    Use it to collect rain water and pump it to your attic tank

I would be very cautious and reluctant to use any untreated harvested rain water internally in a dwelling, even as grey water ie showering, toilets etc is not recommended without taking some precautions including UV filtration etc.

It would be naieve to assume that rainwater is clean when often it can contain various toxins, atmospheric polutants etc. One needs to be careful when re-using harvested water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

UV sterilization system.

DSCF9986.jpg

3 stage filtration system with pump.

DSCF9859.jpg

Found a big old galvenised water tank in the attic and was wondering had anybody got any good ideas for it? Its quite an impressive lump of metal and would be a shame to throw it away as well as probably quite expensive.

What size is it??

It could be used to make a rustic looking raised water feature in the garden with some reeds and oxyginating plants growing out of it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

It would be naieve to assume that rainwater is clean when often it can contain various toxins, atmospheric polutants etc. One needs to be careful when re-using harvested water.[/Quote]

Obviously it needs to be treated!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I am sure you will find some scrap dealer to take it away they might not give you much but it will be gone out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

country-garden-design-kent-05.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

tiny timy wrote: »
    It would be naieve to assume that rainwater is clean when often it can contain various toxins, atmospheric polutants etc. One needs to be careful when re-using harvested water.

Obviously it needs to be treated![/QUOTE]

fine for flushing the toilets though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

or the "new craze" keep trout/edible carp in it as a fresh fish food source..aquaphonics i think its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Do you have a hatch big enough to get it out of the attic? Most people have to cut them up when they take them out, which is why they are so often left in place. If it's not in use then it could be because it was leaking, it's a long time since galvanised tanks were standard.

Im now the proud owner of a galvanized water tank.

Thanks to Frankosw,sound chap and a pleasure to meet you.

Thanks again:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Im now the proud owner of a galvanized water tank.

Thanks to Frankosw,sound chap and a pleasure to meet you.

Thanks again:)
    c'mon paddy im dyin to hear..what are you gona use it for?

Maudi wrote: »
    c'mon paddy im dyin to hear..what are you gona use it for?

A small wildlife pond in the back garden and also to hold some frog spawn and tadpoles.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    A small wildlife pond in the back garden and also to hold some frog spawn and tadpoles.:)

Best of luck with it,i hope you get lots of joy from it..dont forget pictures of your project!

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    or the "new craze" keep trout/edible carp in it as a fresh fish food source..aquaphonics i think its called.

I do actually keep fish in a pond as well as in aquariums but anything coming from a small,still body of water is going to taste at the very least of mud.

It is an ambition of mine though to get a place with some land and a stream and keep fish for food by damming the stream to create a series of ponds with fresh water constantly running through them.

Its a pity Tilapia dont thrive in our climate,they will eat anything and taste great as well as being very efficient converters of thier food into fish protein.

Best of luck with it,i hope you get lots of joy from it..dont forget pictures of your project!

Thanks,and thanks again for selling it to us.:)

Very happy to get a complete unit,as our own water tank was cut out of the attic by the plumber.

I do actually keep fish in a pond as well as in aquariums but anything coming from a small,still body of water is going to taste at the very least of mud.

It is an ambition of mine though to get a place with some land and a stream and keep fish for food by damming the stream to create a series of ponds with fresh water constantly running through them.

Its a pity Tilapia dont thrive in our climate,they will eat anything and taste great as well as being very efficient converters of thier food into fish protein.
    my three rescue goldfish have lived quiet happily in 45 gallon drum under a downpipe for the last few years...they seem to be thriving (not for eating tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Loweface

I made this planter out of the smaller version from the hot water expansion tank...

Advertisement