Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't keep my dog, where can I send him?

• 24-11-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

The title sounded a little cold but I didn't have much space to work with.
    I've had a Jack Russell for 4 years now and he has been out in my family home in Moycullen. However it's just my mother living there at the moment and we are trying to sell the house. Sadly we have no room for him, and her schedule means she spends a lot of time away from home. He isn't getting the attention he deserves at this rate, isn't getting fed at consistent times and I would love to find a better home for him.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Speak to the people at MADRA who are also have a shop in Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

-Vega- wrote: »
    Sadly we have no room for him, and her schedule means she spends a lot of time away from home. He isn't getting the attention he deserves at this rate, isn't getting fed at consistent times and I would love to find a better home for him.

Has anyone any suggestions?

You could also try the GSPCA. Hard to beat MADRA, though. Also, an ad in the local paper - but make sure any prospective home is thoroughly vetted in advance.

Ask any prospective owner questions such as: "What kind of life can you offer this dog?" "How would you deal with this dog's behavioural issues" (no dog - other than my own of course - is the perfect lady or gentleman!)?

Also, try and find out what kind of annual budget they would have in mind for the dog, as dog ownership is expensive and people need to be able to afford whatever health care their pet needs.

The answers to these sorts of questions can be very telling.

I wish there were more people out there who would take the difficult and humble step of admitting that things at home are not good for their pets and then seek to put things right, as the OP is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Animals

MADRA is definitely the way forward. Though I also want to commend you on looking not just abandoning it, like many would.

Advertisement