Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Work after 2nd Baby

Options
  • 24-11-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I am looking for a bit of advice. My wife's maternity leave is finishing up soon and we are looking at childminders etc but because my wife's work is only part time all her money would go on a minder. I can work Saturday and Sunday and look after them for two days while she works. It means we wouldn't really see each other much. Has anyone tried this? And is it sustainable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I now work part time, my other half is in college.

The bigger child is in creche a few afternoons a week. Every afternoon that I'm working I drop one or both kids to my other half in the car park in college and I head off to work.

I choose the creche when I was working full time, its expensive but I dont feel I could move her to a new cheaper creche. The other baby will start creche in January.

After the creche is paid for I work for €40 per week as my partner would receive a dependant rate for me and the kids.

At the moment it may seem a waste to work, but I know when they are both in nursary, the child care costs will decrease and I will still have my job. If I left I would never get a similar job with the same hours.

I work different days every week, so a childminder wouldn't really be much cheaper. The creche is very close to my house, this helps too as the creche closes within 20 mins of the end of college.

Where I work, kids are swapped in the car park or the canteen at least 5 times a day.

Advertisement