Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Language (blue and white)

Options
  • 24-11-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the name of an old programming language. Its interface usually has a blue background with white text. Most implementations of it that I've seen only have keyboard input.

The tracking system Dominos have in their shops looks like it was written in this language.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

QBasic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Turbo Pascal? Borland 5.5 was lthe ast good version, then it went downhill ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Sounds like it could be just about anything from the late 80s/early 90s tbh.. MS-DOS's text editor had a blue background and gray text. Turbo pascal and turbo c++ did the same thing. I'm sure lots of other languages/editors used the same color scheme. Could be COBOL or qbasic or anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It could be written in C#. It's not uncommon for a modern shop to stick with this basic GUI because it can mean that if your POS terminal goes down, it can reboot in less than a minute without having to load a massive graphical OS.
    Also means you can use really cheap hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

My guess is Clipper, but that interface could be used by just about any 80's language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Ehhh, wouldn't think of pasting some into a message would you...?
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Can you remember any keywords or lines?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

My guess is Clipper, but that interface could be used by just about any 80's language
    Dbase III & Clipper is what came to mind for me too but I just could not remember the Clipper name!

Another possibility is Progress (on dos its default was white on blue). But as was said .. it could be just about anything that was dos based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Thanks for all your replies.

I can't post any sample code here because I've never developed in that language. My previous employer used this platform for their time and attendence system before I became a developer.

I googled QBasic and the interface looks identical to that, but as jgh said, it could be any 80s/90s language. No big deal - just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not Clipper, it was a command line only compiler and didn't have its own IDE.

Could possibly be dBase 4, dBase 3 was white on black.

Most likely I'd say it was either Turbo Pascal or a very old version of Progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement