Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skerries Living ?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I am considering houses in the skerries area ?

How is living in skerries ...i believe it is a nice village with good amenities .

The only criticism i see ( which may be out of date ) is lack of the main cheaper supermarkets and the train is very busy at peak time and not possible to get a seat.

Is it really village living close to Dublin.

What about national schools and secondary schools how are they ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

A few quick responses:
    Lovely village, everyone very friendly. Yes, it is village living close to Dublin IMO. Very good social scene, really nice pubs, and nice eateries!
    Lots of sports activities, especially for kids/youths. Hence not much anti-social behaviour. I do not know of any similar village with the variety of activities.
    Yes- cheap supermarket is an issue. If you shop around between the 3 supermarkets you could probably get best value. However, big Tesco in Balbriggan is very good. We often use the free online shopping vouchers they email out, to save time.
    Train is a lot less busy these days. Depending on what train you get impacts when you get a seat. The train I get, you have about a 75% chance of a seat, while the train 10 mins later = 0% chance! Make sure you buy an annual ticket through taxsaver scheme, otherwise it is very expensive.
    3 National schools - all very good.
    1 secondary school - very good for boys. Top of my head, about 70% of all local boys go there. For girls, about 50% there, 25% Loretto Balbriggan. I think it is good IMO.
    I am sure you will get other replies, so bets of luck, and let us know if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rashers72 wrote: »
    A few quick responses:
    Lovely village, everyone very friendly. Yes, it is village living close to Dublin IMO. Very good social scene, really nice pubs, and nice eateries!
    Lots of sports activities, especially for kids/youths. Hence not much anti-social behaviour.

I am sure you will get other replies, so bets of luck, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Skerries is a nice town, good pubs and places to eat. Good walking routes around the area.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    I do not know of any similar village with the variety of activities.

Your neighboring village, Rush also has very good amenities and to be fair this part of Fingal in general is in a very healthy state when it comes to activities for youth if it aint in one village its in the next.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nearest Tesco is in Balbriggan, but there are 5 supermarkets across the town, meaning you have plenty of options on that front

What I find amazing is that the town can support around half a dozen phamacies!

The great thing I find about Skerries is it has a real community spirit, with a bit of everything - plenty of Sports clubs and an active community centre with both indoor and outdoor sports and a theatre. The town put on special events throughout the year, including Skerries Soundwave, 2 motorcycling events and has hosted the final stage of the Ras, the only international cycling event in Ireland, for a number of years

There are plenty of commuting options (train, bus, car and for some of us cycling makes Dublin readily accessible)

Oh ... and only 2 sets of traffic lights (plus a few more pedestrain crossings;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Is nearest Tesco not in Rush? Its nicer anyway imo, and easier to get to

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

And it's beside the seaside sure what more could you want :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Skerries is like a dream come true PERFECT in evey way

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rocketed

There are a lot of thumbs up for skerries for sure so it sounds like a real option.

The Real competitors are

Malahide ( more expensive , posher,more suburban and better connection to dublin with dart)

Bray ( on Dart and close to mountains but not as nice a beach)

Greystones ( more expensive,on dart , not as nice a beach but close to mountains)

Skerries might be ideal mix for me ..a good area but not too posh ..as a country boy i dislike a lot of the class stuff in dublin.

thanks for all the helpful info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi all,

Also considering Skerries as somewhere to buy, seems nice enough!

Anyone know how much an annual taxsaver rail ticket would be? Working it out on the tax saver website and its coming in at just under 700 euro which is quite good value to me, just not sure if I am calculating it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The posters in Commuting & Transport may be able to help you with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

LeoB wrote: »
    Is nearest Tesco not in Rush? Its nicer anyway imo, and easier to get to

More or less the same distance, Balbriggan Tesco is bigger, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone know how much an annual taxsaver rail ticket would be? Working it out on the tax saver website and its coming in at just under 700 euro which is quite good value to me, just not sure if I am calculating it right.

You are calculating it correctly. I think it's 1360 for the rail ticket, less tax. At the higher band, that works out under 700 for the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

niallo24 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Skerries punches well above it's weight with regard to property prices.

People who are from there tend to stay there and buy within the area...most of the people would be quite 'well to do' so prices are at a premium.

It is however a place with excellent amenities and a great community spirit...very safe for children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have a theory around the inflated property prices in Skerries. I think it's partly caused by the train tracks, weirdly. There are only three ways to get into Skerries:

1) Balbriggan road
    2) Rush road
    3) Lusk road (train tunnel)

It's cut off by the sea and the amount of land inside the train tracks that is close to the village is limited. Housing density drops dramatically outside the tracks (up in the hills) because you need to drive if you want to get to the town. This causes essentially a fixed amount of land to develop on, making property somewhat scarce and forcing prices up.

But yeah...it is a lovely place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Khannie wrote: »
    I have a theory around the inflated property prices in Skerries. I think it's partly caused by the train tracks, weirdly. There are only three ways to get into Skerries:

1) Balbriggan road
    2) Rush road

It's cut off by the sea and the amount of land inside the train tracks that is close to the village is limited. Housing density drops dramatically outside the tracks (up in the hills) because you need to drive if you want to get to the town. This causes essentially a fixed amount of land to develop on, making property somewhat scarce and forcing prices up.

By the golf course as well. 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Beasty wrote: »

What I find amazing is that the town can support around half a dozen phamacies!

Sher Lusk has 3 chemists!
    If ya compare prices to Soain, you can see why they all thrive

It's worth considering getting a bus/train ticket
    It's about 130 more gross than the train, but it covers the nightlink and it's handy to have if you are in Dublin to just hop on a bus to travel a few stops.
    It's also nearer to the 33 bus stop if you're getting the last bus home from Dublin and handy getting to and from Croker if you are a Gaa person.

Khannie wrote: »

1) Balbriggan road
    2) Rush road

Never thought of that.

It makes perfect sense...ther are one or two big estates like Kelly's Bay but they would've been boomtime developments and there hasnt been much built in the area since.

to develop skerries like,say balbriggan they would need to put in a major roadway somewhere and there's just too much farmland and too many hills.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Never thought of that.

It makes perfect sense...ther are one or two big estates like Kelly's Bay but they would've been boomtime developments and there hasnt been much built in the area since.

to develop skerries like,say balbriggan they would need to put in a major roadway somewhere and there's just too much farmland and too many hills.
    yes your right, too much good farm land was wasted and built on during the boom, pity all the good ground around Rush and Lusk wasnt protected by the railway instead of been built on.

micraX wrote: »
    yes your right, too much good farm land was wasted and built on during the boom, pity all the good ground around Rush and Lusk wasnt protected by the railway instead of been built on.

Check out what they now call "Clongriffin".

A wasteland of empty apartments and building sites on what was prime farming land 20 years ago.

Skerries has been very fortunate in that regard...even the harbour has maintained it's overall layout...the same buildings are still in use 130 years later.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Check out what they now call "Clongriffin".

A wasteland of empty apartments and building sites on what was prime farming land 20 years ago.

Skerries has been very fortunate in that regard...even the harbour has maintained it's overall layout...the same buildings are still in use 130 years later.

I have checked it out, some of the land was tilled again in the last year or 2, but its a complete mess the far side of the tracks with half built roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emin

Some of the posts in this thread are from 2007 - has much changed in Skerries since then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Emin wrote: »
    Some of the posts in this thread are from 2007 - has much changed in Skerries since then?

First post is from 2012, still all good to this day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emin

Ooops... My mistake, I looked at someone's "join date"...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

fergal.b wrote: »
    First post is from 2012, still all good to this day :)

And today Fergal?

We are looking to buy in Skerries later this year.
    And we are torn :
    ....All our hard earned cash plus small mortgage to live somewhere like "The Maltings" or

....buy a private detached house in the council estate for a lot less and have cash over to do it up to our taste.

I appreciate that the (bigger house and garden) house in the council estate is cheaper for a reason but I wonder if it warrants the huge price difference.
    Any advice?
    We are going to stay in a b+b in Skerries shortly for 2nights to get a feel for the area esp at night time.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you F.

beltzar wrote: »
    And today Fergal?

We are looking to buy in Skerries later this year.
    And we are torn :
    ....All our hard earned cash plus small mortgage to live somewhere like "The Maltings" or

....buy a private detached house in the council estate for a lot less and have cash over to do it up to our taste.

I appreciate that the (bigger house and garden) house in the council estate is cheaper for a reason but I wonder if it warrants the huge price difference.
    Any advice?
    We are going to stay in a b+b in Skerries shortly for 2nights to get a feel for the area esp at night time.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you F.

Everything is more or less the same except I'm not living there anymore :) If you are staying in the town somewhere like the "Red bank" or the "Malting house" you will have the usual night time noise at closing time but after that it's quite, I don't think there are any nightclubs left in the town. If you stay just out of the town the "White cottages" are nice and the only sound you will hear are the waves crashing on the shore. All I can advise is go for a walk/drive around and find a place you like, having lived allover Skerries over the years I have never been unhappy with any of the places I lived although some of my neighbours might be glad that I have moved on :D

I will be back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Sail Loft B&B opposite The Gladstone is very reasonable.

The Maltings is a nice mature little estate close to all amenities. Not sure what council estate you were looking at, but all areas in the town are worth considering these days. Especially for a detached house at a good price.

Best of luck with your search!

PS - I can vouch for the quality of the pints in Nealon's & The Snug. The Malting House & The Gladstone are decent too. ;)

Advertisement