Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby birth weight

• 24-11-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

seriously who cares if its 50lbs or 2kg.. whats the fascination with a new borns weight.. they hardly care at this stage what they look like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

See how healthy baby was
    Would you be more concerned if a baby was born a pound in weight or 8 pound?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Small turkey, good sized baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So people know what size one-piece they should buy? I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

xzanti wrote: »
    Small turkey, good sized baby

Sure he'd be half reared ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Chucken wrote: »
    Sure he'd be half reared ;)

It's kind of weird to be talking about a baby's rear, bro'. But I do think that a baby with half of one wouldn't weigh that much less, they're tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

See how healthy baby was

Why cant they just say if the baby is healthy rather than have people try and figure it out from its weight?? What is even a healthy range anyway? Is there a scale of weight to health than I dont know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Because you can sell the baby for €20/lb these days.

It's kind of weird to be talking about a baby's rear, bro'. But I do think that a baby with half of one wouldn't weigh that much less, they're tiny.

I'm not a bro :(

Now....go back and lie on the floor again!

Edit:reared past participle, past tense of rear (Verb)
    Verb:
    Bring up and care for (a child) until they are fully grown, esp. in a particular manner or place: "he was reared in New York City".
    (of an animal) Care for (its young) until they are fully grown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Playboy wrote: »
    seriously who cares if its 50lbs or 2kg.. whats the fascination with a new borns weight.. they hardly care at this stage what they look like.

50lbs Playboy! You'd care if that was what you had just squoze out!

My last child was 10lbs (and I'm small-sized lady), 3 weeks overdue, the full shock of hair. He turned around and said 'Howaye' when he came out. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would it also reflect the amount of pain the mother went went through?

• Advertisement

Well, when women hear of a 10 pounder being born, they tend to grimace!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gives you an idea whether the father will ever touch the sides again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

No not really but obviously a bigger baby is going to cause more damage during the birth but again that depends on how big the mother is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I would be guessing the person giving birth, I don't think she would be all smiles if the baby she was about to give birth to weighed 50lb.

Clareman wrote: »

well! Holy God!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

If the woman exercise during and after pregnancy the man will not notice the difference.

:eek: Oh I dare you to say that to Mrs Clareman :pac:

If the woman exercise during and after pregnancy the man will not notice the difference.

That's it! Kegels wimmin! Hup, hold, two three four. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Playboy wrote: »

There does seem to be a fascination about baby weight alright, with many Irish people presuming that a heavier fatter baby is healthier than a baby of a lesser weight, not just at birth but for the first year too . . . I would be more worried about the lack of breast feeding in Ireland. Fat baby skinny baby, a breast fed baby may do much better in later life according to recent findings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My bambino was 8lbs 15 and the only reason I remember is because he was also born at 8.15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My bambino was 8lbs 15 and the only reason I remember is because he was also born at 8.15!

My third was 10lb and born on 10/10. :D It was at times like that I was glad to be a man. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

yea, men lie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To establish right away that you had neither a fat or midget baby.

yea, men lie..

Newsflash Wabbit...wimmins do too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

i know, its a fun little dance, she says you're still able to satisfy her and we say its not like pointlessly bouncing up and down feeling nothing and mentally jerking off thinking about her hot best mate.

Newsflash Wabbit...wimmins do too.;)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

LordSutch wrote: »
    There does seem to be a fascination about baby weight alright, with many Irish people presuming that a heavier fatter baby is healthier than a baby of a lesser weight, not just at birth but for the first year too . . . I would be more worried about the lack of breast feeding in Ireland. Fat baby skinny baby, a breast fed baby may do much better in later life according to recent findings!

Not that recent, TBF.

Every notice how fat bottle fed babies are though? With the breast the baby stops when they're full, and you don't really know how much they've had. But you keep feeding a bottle fed baby until the finish the whole thing. And bottle milk seems to swell up their faces for some reason. I have a nurse friend who can tell how a baby is fed just by looking at it.

Random inflammatory statement of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

6-7, 6-11 and 8-10 mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

See how healthy baby was

So an 8 pound baby is healthier than a 7 pound... right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

6,4 and 6,12 were both of mine. I'm not sure why people take such an interest in it either but in hospital and in the weeks following the birth if you have a small baby its akin to being an abusive parent. Too much reliance on charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Who cares about their weight, as long as they have their fathers gums...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I was massive with my recent baby and was terrified that it was going to be ginormous - ended up normal weight, and I just had excess fluid.
    But anyway, people were forever asking me what weights my other 2 were to gauge how big this one might be, and I could never remember.
    I knew their approximate weights, but not exactly.
    I felt like a crap mother for not remembering, especially when most women in their 60's and 70's can still tell you exactly what weight all of their 20 kids were. :/

I was massive with my recent baby and was terrified that it was going to be ginormous - ended up normal weight, and I just had excess fluid.
    But anyway, people were forever asking me what weights my other 2 were to gauge how big this one might be, and I could never remember.
    I knew their approximate weights, but not exactly.
    I felt like a crap mother for not remembering, especially when most women in their 60's and 70's can still tell you exactly what weight all of their 20 kids were. :/

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2011/03/233210,xcitefun-congratdulation-3000-posts.png

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Ha! Exciting times!
    I would like to thank all of AH for posting pure nonsense.
    Otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today (sitting at a computer instead of doing something productive).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

:eek: Oh I dare you to say that to Mrs Clareman :pac:

Are you f**king mad, our bundle of joy is almost 5 weeks old now after witnessing what I witnessed I'll never say/do anything to upset her again.

Just as well she enjoys making me sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Who cares about their weight, as long as they have their fathers gums...

. . . as long as they have their fathers gums?

Must be a new saying (or maybe a very old one) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

LordSutch wrote: »
    . . . as long as they have their fathers gums?

Must be a new saying (or maybe a very old one) :)

only among handsome donkeys...;)

Advertisement