Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest on 8th December in TESCO CAR PARK???

Options
  • 24-11-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Am i the only one who thinks it's kind of ironic that the protest will be held in the car park of a multi-national retailer that sucks the economic life out of the traditional city and town centre retail/shopping areas?

These large multi-nationals decimate local family-owned businesses and lead to HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF EURO being taken from the Irish economy.

I'm all for freedom of choice, but people should really be aware of the consequences of their own actions when they shop in large multi-national retailers....

If the same amount of energy was focussed on encouraging people to shop local and support smaller businesses this Christmas, then I think Waterford would be doing something really positive....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Jesus Christ. It's not being held there, they're just meeting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

whats the protest about?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Fair enough... and when the protest is over everybody will return to support the large foreign-owned multinationals and buy lots of foreign-made products.... and theyll feel all warm and fuzzy inside having stood up for jobs in the south east!!

So smiley, are you telling me tha you buy exclusively local? You're being a hypocrite and you know it. Get off your high horse and get real. People will shop where they can get the most value. If you pay 10 euro for something in a local shop when it's €5 in tesco, you're an idiot.

By all means shop local but the shops need to at least try and be competitive.

I suppose you're gonna tell us that you have never shopped in tesco? Where do you buy your weekly shopping? An do you make sure you only buy irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Am i the only one who thinks it's kind of ironic that the protest will be held in the car park of a multi-national retailer that sucks the economic life out of the traditional city and town centre retail/shopping areas?

These large multi-nationals decimate local family-owned businesses and lead to HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF EURO being taken from the Irish economy.

I'm all for freedom of choice, but people should really be aware of the consequences of their own actions when they shop in large multi-national retailers....

If the same amount of energy was focussed on encouraging people to shop local and support smaller businesses this Christmas, then I think Waterford would be doing something really positive....

I think it's only starting from there TBH. But I sympathise with your viewpoint. But economic realities in the household, unfortunately, do apply. Especially in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

leduke wrote: »
    whats the protest about?
    Save Waterford moved from Ballybricken. A candlelit procession apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Start a protest about the protest.

like I said I'm all for freedom of choice....i have no problem with anyone shopping in tesco/aldi/lidl etc, as long as they are aware of the consequences...that is all....No point complaining about boarded-up shops whilst giving your business to a large retailer or shopping ONLINE....

i can recall tesco coming to waterford and crowds flocked to them to buy cheap petrol....a number of garages closed within a short space of time....Do tesco still sell cheap petrol/diesel???

we need to learn from the experience of other countries....large out-of-town shopping malls/centres have decimated traditional town centres....

The best example in Ireland is probably Tralee...Manor West Shopping centre built on the outskirts has destroyed the town centre.....Cork City has been affected by Mahon Point and Blackpool Shopping Centre....

p.s. i always buy my meat from local butcher Mossie Joyce in Dungarvan....i buy my veg on a daily basis from the Country Store in Dungarvan....all fresh and all local suppliers....i might drop into lidl or tescos now and again, but as AN EX-EMPLOYEE of TESCO in the UK many years ago, Im fully aware of how they operate....ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Silly thread. Its the easiest and probably safest place to meet up with potential large numbers. You just cant win with some folk. Tesco also employ local people, who in turn spend money in our local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I understand what you're saying about Tesco profits leaving the country, but they do employ local people, purchase goods and services from local businesses, pay corporation tax, and local people save money by shopping there so they have more money to spend elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was just out there earlier and the carpark was nearly full, where do they think all the cars will fit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

If there wasnt a Tesco in Waterford you would probably be giving out that the council arent doing enough to attract these companies to the city who as said by another poster employ local people who spend their money on local things. Some smaller retailers overcharge for some products hence the reason why people go to places like Tesco/Lidl/Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Tesco aint cheap in fact they are as dear as the rest when it comes to the grocery essentials, sure they have lower grade stuff
    cheaper but so do lidl aldi and deals...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

there will be Glow Sticks too so my heart is set on a big frickin' rave with banging house music and hugs and dancing and tons of ecstasy, or am I 25 years too late? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

I have never and never will spend one penny in Tesco. They are an english based multi national and every profit they make leaves Ireland.

Yes they are cheaper but they can afford to be. There profit margains may be smaller but they purchase in bulk numbers which smaller companies cannot cope with. Therefore the bigger the bulk they can buy the cheaper they pay and therefore sell for less. In the process of which they undercut our won Irish companies causing them to close down due to being priced out of the market.

More and more of these TESCO an LIDL/ALDI places are popping up everywhere. Taking profits from town centres, Closing the small local shops and supermarkets and literally whiping out the competition. The competition being Irish. If we continue to leave these non irish companies to thrive we are in turn destroying our own local economy i.e. "the real economy"

One more thing to think about is if they did not exist in this country the people who are now employed by them i'm pretty sure would be working in local retail, spending there wages in other local retail outlets and shops and keeping the profits within your own comunity. Thats the basis of how local economy works is it not.

I understand it comes down to price in some cases, depending on needs be at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Can i ask what has meeting up in tesco car park to go on a candle light walk to save WRH got anything to do with tesco and where or where people do not shop.

Im getting really sick and tired of all this crap thats posted on here lately about the various protests, all I can say is these people are at least trying to do something to highlight the issue, and this constant bitching and moaning about where things are held, what politicians are or arent doing stuff, whose dictating to who about marching really is getting a bit pissy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Have to support the OP's post, theres been studies all over the world to show that large multi nationals kill indiginous business and therefore tear the heart out of many towns villages and cities, he knows what hes talking about but some people who dont get the facts or figures like to just spout!

Tesco have 4 strategically positioned shops in Waterford, The one in Ardkeen was big enough but they are looking at their competitors more so.

There was great documentary on BBC awhile ago about this, how aggressively they compete with each other for positioning and thats all its about killing off competion, Teso in the UK build roads a swimming pool and even a police station as part of their planning permission to build in some areas! yes they bring jobs but they take customers out of the heart of towns!

Have to support the OP's post, theres been studies all over the world to show that large multi nationals kill indiginous business and therefore tear the heart out of many towns villages and cities, he knows what hes talking about but some people who dont get the facts or figures like to just spout!

Tesco have 4 strategically positioned shops in Waterford, The one in Ardkeen was big enough but they are looking at their competitors more so.

There was great documentary on BBC awhile ago about this, how aggressively they compete with each other for positioning and thats all its about killing off competion, Teso in the UK build roads a swimming pool and even a police station as part of their planning permission to build in some areas! yes they bring jobs but they take customers out of the heart of towns!

Who grants them the licence to build in these areas? Who gave the go ahead for Waterford's urban Sprawl...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

There is a stink of the agent provacateur off this thread. Methinks it is more about discrediting the protest than highligting the injustices of multinational Retailers.

Its the closest large space to the hospital which I presume is the end point. Some people have no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Who grants them the licence to build in these areas? Who gave the go ahead for Waterford's urban Sprawl...

Exactly FF and FG votes on the council did and possible labour too. Which I find not the least bit ironic since Smiley Burnett has been "asked" before if he was a FG county councillor. Even if he isn''t he has a history of the overt defence of FG actions and claims that FG "gave us" WRH and the 2000 jobs to go with it. Which is ironic considering the are now trying to downgrade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

Is the carpark exclusive to Tesco?
    Why not slag off Next and Homebase aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Sully wrote: »
    Silly thread. Its the easiest and probably safest place to meet up with potential large numbers. You just cant win with some folk. Tesco also employ local people, who in turn spend money in our local economy.

What about the couple of hundred they were looking for to work internships for the job bridge scheme???

http://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-stands-behind-jobbridge-advert-228599-Sep2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

So for my weekly shop I must go to a local shop? I will be coming out after paying double if not more than I am now and will not have half the things I want.( I am picky for sure) :(.As others have said, workers from the local area are there so they are being kept there. So all them can go and get a job with the local shops?.............I don't think so.

You want jobs in the area (who doesn't) but you only want local business to supply them? I will continue to shop in supermarkets, others can do as they please.I do shop in Waterford whenever/if I have any money left in the other local shops in the city i.e Penneys,dunnes,newsagents homebase,hardware stores etc.I do agree with doing so instead of some people shopping in Dublin etc, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

The carpark does not belong to Tesco its locally owned. Case closed

jimmyw wrote: »
    So for my weekly shop I must go to a local shop? I will be coming out after paying double if not more than I am now and will not have half the things I want.( I am picky for sure) :(.As others have said, workers from the local area are there so they are being kept there. So all them can go and get a job with the local shops?.............I don't think so.

You want jobs in the area (who doesn't) but you only want local business to supply them? I will continue to shop in supermarkets, others can do as they please.I do shop in Waterford whenever/if I have any money left in the other local shops in the city i.e Penneys,dunnes,newsagents homebase,hardware stores etc.I do agree with doing so instead of some people shopping in Dublin etc, but each to their own.

Like i said earlier, PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO SHOP WHEREVER THEY LIKE,and i fully support that right, but actions have consequences.....i know people who work in supermarkets that are unionised, yet they go home and shop online with TESCO and go to LIDL or ALDI...figure that one out!!

it reminds of those that turned to MR BINMAN for their rubbish collection....the same mr binman who once said that he gave jobs to eastern europeans because he wanted "put manners on the paddies"!

NOW WE HAVE A PRIVATISED RUBBISH COLLECTION IN WATERFORD.
    LIKE I SAID EARLIER----actions have consequences!!!

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Tesco aint cheap in fact they are as dear as the rest when it comes to the grocery essentials, sure they have lower grade stuff
    cheaper but so do lidl aldi and deals...

I definitely wouldn't agree with you there, I find them very good on price and I also dont find any inferiority with the "Lower grade" stuff either.

I dont like when stuff I used to get are not available any more:(

Like i said earlier, PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO SHOP WHEREVER THEY LIKE,and i fully support that right, but actions have consequences.....i know people who work in supermarkets that are unionised, yet they go home and shop online with TESCO and go to LIDL or ALDI...figure that one out!!

it reminds of those that turned to MR BINMAN for their rubbish collection....the same mr binman who once said that he gave jobs to eastern europeans because he wanted "put manners on the paddies"!

NOW WE HAVE A PRIVATISED RUBBISH COLLECTION IN WATERFORD.
    LIKE I SAID EARLIER----actions have consequences!!!

Well I am afraid there are consequences to alot of things we do even by shopping local exclusively.But I really could not do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SPQRI wrote: »
    What about the couple of hundred they were looking for to work internships for the job bridge scheme???

http://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-stands-behind-jobbridge-advert-228599-Sep2011/

Its a fact that they also employ people outside of Jobbridge at a considerably large number. Its also worth reporting that a number of local businesses here in Waterford, that are not part of any big chain and are locally independently owned and run have abused the idea behind Job Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Sully wrote: »
    Its a fact that they also employ people outside of Jobbridge at a considerably large number. Its also worth reporting that a number of local businesses here in Waterford, that are not part of any big chain and are locally independently owned and run have abused the idea behind Job Bridge.

Indeed that is true & it should be stopped. Instead of building a ladder we're doing nothing more than digging an even larger hole for ourselves!

• Advertisement

SPQRI wrote: »
    Indeed that is true & it should be stopped. Instead of building a ladder we're doing nothing more than digging an even larger hole for ourselves!

Well, to be fair, Job Bridge has its success stories.

People clearly want Tesco here anyway seeing as they keep opening new stores. They have created significant competition and ended a practice where many retailers could screw us to the wall and not give two fecks about customers. They quickly changed their tune when Tesco arrived on the scene and the same appears to be happening with the roll out of Pharmacies.

Advertisement