Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest on 8th December in TESCO CAR PARK???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Job Bridge is nothing more than the cheap exploitation of people!
    If you had a group of immigrants 'employed' on these scemes the company would be castigated for their use of slave labour.

Have a look here to see the employment schemes & the work placements? http://jobseeker.fas.ie/

Who the fcuk are they really trying to fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Speaking of FAS, they have an app for the iPhone now and it's funny how for job bridge jobs (80% of the jobs advertised) they have "salary undisclosed"

I think this thread is going to go into the record books for the amount of times it can go off topic. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

SPQRI wrote: »
    Job Bridge is nothing more than the cheap exploitation of people!
    If you had a group of immigrants 'employed' on these scemes the company would be castigated for their use of slave labour.

Have a look here to see the employment schemes & the work placements? http://jobseeker.fas.ie/

Who the fcuk are they really trying to fool!

I agree with you on that, even a quick browse of the official job-bridge website is enough to convince you that most companies out there are now seriously taking the p!ss when it comes to the jobs on offer- I saw positions for chefs, senior engineers and even solicitors! Its a blatant exploitation and abuse of a system set up to give the unemployed some much needed experience.

As to the point re: Tesco, yes it does export the profits but who in this day and age is going to pay 10euros for something in a local shop when they can get it somewhere else for just 5euros its basic common sense and seeing as many of our local shops continue to charge such high rates for basic items of course Tesco is going to reap the rewards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Tesco are only here to milk us for what they can get their cynical abuse of the scambridge thing for a few zombie shelfstackers (as in doing the job for 50€ a week) shows this,

so what have they gt out there that local shops dont have?
    milk centra 1.99 tesco 1.99 ardkeen stores 1.99
    brennans bread centra 1.58 tesco 1.58 ardkeen stores 1.55
    dawn orange juice centra 2.99 tesco 2.99 ardkeen stores 1.99

^ To be fair, shops like Centra and Spar etc are always running weekly specials to keep up with the likes of Tesco and Aldi so thats not a consistent example (plus I wouldnt set foot in Ardkeen Stores again due to their snobby and rude staff) but for example if you want some Christmas Cards in the Book Centre you are looking at between 5 and 10euros, the same cards can be got for 4euros in Tesco, not to mention CDs and DVDs etc, mostly cheaper in Tesco. A lot of people, given the choice to have some money left over or support local (expensive) shops will choose the former.

Its all very well to shop local and support jobs but the prices need to reflect this but sadly they wont as its a Catch22 situation with the crippling rates ad rentals on many shops in Waterford so prices have to be kept a bit higher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

^ To be fair, shops like Centra and Spar etc are always running weekly specials to keep up with the likes of Tesco and Aldi so thats not a consistent example (plus I wouldnt set foot in Ardkeen Stores again due to their snobby and rude staff) but for example if you want some Christmas Cards in the Book Centre you are looking at between 5 and 10euros, the same cards can be got for 4euros in Tesco, not to mention CDs and DVDs etc, mostly cheaper in Tesco. A lot of people, given the choice to have some money left over or support local (expensive) shops will choose the former.

Its all very well to shop local and support jobs but the prices need to reflect this but sadly they wont as its a Catch22 situation with the crippling rates ad rentals on many shops in Waterford so prices have to be kept a bit higher...
    and for less again you can get them cards for 2€ in europrice
    tesco also do weekly deals on the bulk stock but not as many as the smaller shops...

I always find that special offer aisle in Tesco with stuff like shower gel for 1euro, pasta for 3euro etc etc offers far better value than your regular shops like Spar and Centra (which are almost always more expensive for smaller items like singles cans and bars of choc etc) but I accept your point that they can well afford to buy in bulk.

I do most of my shopping in either Tesco or Aldi as I stand to also get something back in the form of the loyalty cards and the petrol is a bonus. Again, personal choice for cheaper items will almost always draw people to the big multi nationals like ALDI and Tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

Dunno why people give out about tescos and any other non-irish company, they bring jobs, they sell irish products, they pay tax and they are good value for money some times, I shop in Aldi its great value. Way cheaper than any local shop and most of the products are irish so I dont see what the big deal is. If you want to spend all your money in the local shop go right ahead. But stop giving out because others dont feel the same.
    Also most of the shops in the city center are also foreign companies eg. River Island, A-wear, Gamestop, Dealz etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's catch 22 really. Get rid of tesco and aldi and a lot of farmers will go out if business

Also, if all the lidl, aldis and Tescos disappear there won't be enough local businesses that can step in to replace them. It's only because they are multi-national that they can afford to open up all over the place.

They hire locally and that money then re-enters the local money pool. They pay rates and taxes as well as buying a lot of stock from local suppliers.

There was a chap on this forum who used to be vehement in his hatred for tesco and other shopping centres like this...I saw him last week in McDonald's. Surely he should have been in le Blaa or some place.

The fact is, people now shop using shopping lists and they have to go where the value is.

The council need to come up with some new initiatives. Rate charges similar to how sky charge pubs - the more money you make, the more rates you are charged. But take the money weekly so they're not forced to pay out lump sums. (And of course reduce the rates and make it more transparent as to exactly what they're paying for)

Would also be a good idea for the council to help with advertising the business, not fining them if they put up a large sign over the door.

Common sense. The thing that's missing from Irish politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Common sense. The thing that's missing from Irish politics.

Wait!!! Haven't we got Silly, apologies Sully!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Fair enough... and when the protest is over everybody will return to support the large foreign-owned multinationals and buy lots of foreign-made products.... and theyll feel all warm and fuzzy inside having stood up for jobs in the south east!!

Can it be taken that you feel the same about the likes of Lidl in Dungarvan and Aldi who got planning permission to build and open in Dungarvan - even if this is under appeal. I'm not a big fan of these supermakets and lots of their products, but some of what they sell is ok, but lots of people have no problem with them. for many its a case of having to shop in such places.

leduke wrote: »
    whats the protest about?

The actions of the government and their attitute to Waterford and the South East, isnt it. COuld be wrong. No doubt I will be corrected if i am.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deise Tom wrote: »
    The actions of the government and their attitute to Waterford and the South East, isnt it. COuld be wrong. No doubt I will be corrected if i am.

More about possibility of downgrading of services by WRH. No suggestion as of yet the government is considering it, but a report they commissioned is thought to have recommended it with Kilkenny voting to depart from WRH.

Its a candlelight vigil, which is a great idea.

Sully wrote: »
    More about possibility of downgrading of services by WRH. No suggestion as of yet the government is considering it, but a report they commissioned is thought to have recommended it with Kilkenny voting to depart from WRH.

Its a candlelight vigil, which is a great idea.

Which is The actions of the government and their attitute to Waterford and the South East.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Which is The actions of the government and their attitute to Waterford and the South East.

I think your highlighting the part of my post to suit your needs. The other part of my post would contradict that part. :) But I wont debate silly things like that and we shall agree to disagree because its a silly argument to be having.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Can it be taken that you feel the same about the likes of Lidl in Dungarvan and Aldi who got planning permission to build and open in Dungarvan - even if this is under appeal. I'm not a big fan of these supermakets and lots of their products, but some of what they sell is ok, but lots of people have no problem with them. for many its a case of having to shop in such places.

Hi Tom, if you read my posts on here, you will see that I HAVE NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER WHERE PEOPLE CHOOSE TO SPEND THEIR MONEY. Im all for freedom of choice, but my point is actions have consequences. If everybody shops in aldi/lidl/tesco in out-of-town centres, then there is no point complaining afterwards when existing shops close down and town centres die.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, Job Bridge has its success stories.

Depends on what you term success.

Advertisement