Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food do you think is Irish!

Options
  • 24-11-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have american friends coming over for dinner during the week and I want to cook them something pure Irish! What do ye consider to be Irish in the lines of vegetables, sauces, flavours nd food in general etc.

Thanks a lot folks!

p.s. I know how typical it is to cook Americans Irish food but sure why not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try having a look through the results of this search first...

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Coddle and stew are quintessentially Irish to me.
    Mashed spuds, cabbage, mince and onions, bacon etc. Those things always remind me of my childhood.
    You could do a modern twist on any of the above instead of the plate of sloppy stew.
    Brown bread is also a well known Irish thing, with a soup (potato and leek) could be a nice "Irishy" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Smoked Cod & Chips

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not uniquely Irish in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

German bratwurst!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Bacon & cabbage
    Irish stew
    Seafood chowder
    Beef & Guinness pie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Merkin wrote: »
    Bacon & cabbage
    Irish stew
    Seafood chowder*
    Beef & Guinness pie**

*American
    **Adaptation of English Beef and Ale pies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Instead of going for Irish recipes maybe just go for Irish ingredients, go to a craft butcher and get some good quality local beef/lamb, local seasonal veg and roast it all up. Just be sure to get the good stuff.

For dessert a seasonal berry crumble with cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Brown bread (made with Guinness for extra authenticity) and smoked salmon
    leek and bacon and potato soup
    boiled bacon
    stew
    coddle with coins hidden in it
    rhubarb and apple tart
    barmbrack or tea brack

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    coddle with coins hidden in it
    I think you might be mixing up coddle and colcannon. Both good options to serve up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Got asked this question a lot when I was traveling of what was an authentic/typical Irish food....always found it difficult to think of something uniquely Irish....maybe it is because I could be one of the only Irish lads who doesnt enjoy their Mammys food (boil/cook everything til it dies and comes back to life! and wouldnt touch any of those fancy spices...like pepper :) )

While talking to them I kind of realised that we usually take anything and put it in a sandwich (crisps,chips,banana) or add a good serving of carbs to everything. Lasagne and chips? Shepherds Pie ...and chips :)
    Maybe a Tayto sandwich is the highlight of our culinary existence ???

I would def +1 on Brown Soda bread....maybe do something with black pudding which they wouldnt have a lot of in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

As some one already said, go to a quality craft butcher and get a good cut of beef or lamb or a free range chicken. Serve with roast Kerrs Pink potatoes and roast Irish grown veg.

If you're doing a starter, maybe some wild Irish smoked salmon and thinly sliced home made soda bread with real butter. Americans have a completely different idea of what Irish soda bread is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

What part of the country are you from OP? Wouldn't it be better to look for something which is traditional to your locality, there's something for everywhere. Failing that corned beef and cabbage while not uniquely Irish by any means is something easy with huge Irish associations to Americans, make up a whiskey or mustard sauce to go along with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Corned beef and cabbage is an American take on Irish bacon and cabbage.

Salted ling poached in milk; sea bream grilled over the fire (modern version: barbequed); potato bread; boxty; baked salmon with butter melted onto it (whole fish or side of fish); roast mountain lamb with redcurrant sauce; griddled mackerel; floury potatoes; green cabbage chopped fine with melted butter and some white pepper.

I wouldn't eat all of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Had a really nice starter in the UK last week, which struck me as being a bit Irish, really - it was 3 pan-fried scallops, with white pudding, on a parsnip purée garnished with grilled pancetta (OK, so the pancetta wasn't Irish!). I can't remember ever seeing white pudding on an English menu before, though.

I'd go for lamb as a main course - whether roast or stewed, 'cos we really do have great lamb, plus the Americans don't seem to eat it much at home, and then perhaps a Baileys pudding made with carrageen, or maybe a cheeseboard with Irish artisan cheeses on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

i like the sound of a parsnip puree with lamb,, the sweetness would be tempting,. thinking of doing a pudding and mash starter with a vinegarette! Keep the ideas comin folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

A few spuds with an amuse bouche of tayto crisps.

Alternatively, lamb, as suggested would be good. Served with champ, maybe? Champ would be a novel twist on spuds for Americans, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Boxty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Boxty, same as potato cake except for it's made with raw potato instead of cooked ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bubble & Squeek.
    Irish Stew
    Nettle soup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My American cousins always cried out for bacon and cabbage whenever they stayed with my granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Bubble & Squeek.

This is British.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A few spuds with an amuse bouche of tayto crisps.

Alternatively, lamb, as suggested would be good. Served with champ, maybe? Champ would be a novel twist on spuds for Americans, no?

I wouldn't cook lamb at this time of year. I'd go with beef.

Beef and guineas pie with a few oysters on top of the meat but under the pastry. Roast spuds and cabbage.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

We have overlooked the classic Irish snack food: hang sangwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I would just cook a meal with really good quality Irish ingredients. Kerry or Connemara lamb, local beef, Dublin bay prawns, Irish smoked salmon or other smoked fishes, Irish cheese, Irish seasonal veg, etc..... Your American friends will be blown away by how tasty our food is when sourced properly from artisan or smaller retailers and then cooked very well.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you might be mixing up coddle and colcannon. Both good options to serve up.

yes, I was totally thinking colcannon- creamy mashed potato with spring onions and curly kale? Yummy served with sausages and (when I was little anyway) the coins were to make sure you ate up all your greens in case there was a prize in the end. What even is coddle? Something involving seafood afair...

yes, I was totally thinking colcannon- creamy mashed potato with spring onions and curly kale? Yummy served with sausages and (when I was little anyway) the coins were to make sure you ate up all your greens in case there was a prize in the end. What even is coddle? Something involving seafood afair...

just googled it...seems to be some kind of potato and pork casserole...hmm, boiled sausages and rashers, sounds...interesting....

Coddle is a stew made with sausages and rashers. Comes from dublin and it's great stuff altogether ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

just googled it...seems to be some kind of potato and pork casserole...hmm, boiled sausages and rashers, sounds...interesting....
    Mellor wrote: »
    Coddle is a stew made with sausages and rashers. Comes from dublin and it's great stuff altogether ;)

Yeh I think Coddle gets given a hard time, I know loads of people complain about it and say its a disgusting, fatty boiled mess. I think thats down to being brought up on it being cooked badly, in similar fashion I know people who won't touch roast chicken simply because they think of it as burnt dry meat because thats how they used to get it. We tend to be guilty as a nation for cooking too hot for too long.

I love it, I think the trick is to trim the bacon of all fat (and grill it for a sambo), use some nice herbs and be sure not to add any extra salt.

• Advertisement

Most people that I know that give it a hard time do so because they never tasted it and the white boiled sausages shock them.
    Anybody I know that had it growing up liked it. But thats a short list of people.

Advertisement