Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food do you think is Irish!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Smoked Cod & Chips
    Not uniquely Irish in fairness.
    Might not be considered Irish but he may also want to give them something they have never had before, and something which is popular here. I expect many americans have never had irish-italian chipper chips, only "french fries".

I would not attempt to cook it myself though, would just get a takeaway some other night. I hate smoked fish though, and know many who do, but the smoked cod fans would gladly eat non smoked cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Lots of good suggestions there. I do think that black pudding is a veryIrish food and I'm planning to try this myself this weekend;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056142931

+1 on the brown bread too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Mellor wrote: »
    Coddle is a stew made with sausages and rashers. Comes from dublin and it's great stuff altogether ;)

I find it excessively salty and that's with adding no extra salt myself. :-/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This is British.

A lot of Irish people call Bacon and Cabbage bubble and squeek, for some unknown reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

gonna give that pastry puddin a go!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Yeh I think Coddle gets given a hard time, I know loads of people complain about it and say its a disgusting, fatty boiled mess. I think thats down to being brought up on it being cooked badly, in similar fashion I know people who won't touch roast chicken simply because they think of it as burnt dry meat because thats how they used to get it. We tend to be guilty as a nation for cooking too hot for too long.

I love it, I think the trick is to trim the bacon of all fat (and grill it for a sambo), use some nice herbs and be sure not to add any extra salt.

Yer American buds will love it. ;)

rubadub wrote: »
    Might not be considered Irish but he may also want to give them something they have never had before, and something which is popular here. I expect many americans have never had irish-italian chipper chips, only "french fries".

I would not attempt to cook it myself though, would just get a takeaway some other night. I hate smoked fish though, and know many who do, but the smoked cod fans would gladly eat non smoked cod.

As an American, I absolutely love a good bag of chips. Irish or not, your American buds should be taken out for a proper good cod and chips meal. I have met very few servings of fish and chips in the states that were worth a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Reindeer wrote: »

As an American, I absolutely love a good bag of chips. Irish or not, your American buds should be taken out for a proper good cod and chips meal. I have met very few servings of fish and chips in the states that were worth a damn.
    I brought an American to a chipper once, he got a snack box and couldn't eat it because it was too greasy

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I brought an American to a chipper once, he got a snack box and couldn't eat it because it was too greasy

Wonder what they would think bout the garlic cheese chips I had the other night. I nearly had a diabetic attack myself. But they were so freakin good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Reindeer wrote: »

Wonder what they would think bout the garlic cheese chips I had the other night. I nearly had a diabetic attack myself. But they were so freakin good.

I brought some American buddies to abrakebabra a few years back after pints, they were completely repulsed by my garlic & cheese chips :) which was good in some ways cos they were unlikely to try jab a sneaky fork in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

As someone from the States I think I would find Irish cheeses and breads with Irish butter tasty. Most places seem to have their own versions of most dishes so I think the local produce is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

You should serve them crubeens with spuds and cabbage. They would love to be able to tell people back in the US about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Would I be right in saying Tripe and Drisheen originated in Co. Cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

I know tripe is eaten all around the world but I think the practice of serving tripe and drisheen together is from the Cork area alright. I've never tried it myself though. Not sure my palate is up to it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Smoked trout or smoked eel with brown bread as a starter

Roast goose with white onion gravy, roast veg (turnip, beetroot & carrot), spuds roasted in goose grease, colcannon (finely chopped curly kale & scallions in spuds mashed with butter and milk)

Dessert, rhubarb tart and custard or full dairy cream

Later on tea (leaf tea made in a pot) and fruit scones with creamery butter

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

I know tripe is eaten all around the world but I think the practice of serving tripe and drisheen together is from the Cork area alright. I've never tried it myself though. Not sure my palate is up to it:D

I often walk thru the old English Market in cork and see it in the Deli window of one of the Butchers..Looks like fairly horrid stuff. not sure if I'd be up for it either..:o

Advertisement