Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treatment of Facial Deformity on Medical Card?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

A few years ago I had an accident where I fell against my bathtub and I believe broke my cheekbone. I did not go to do it checked out right away because it was not that painful and it looked fine bar a bit of swelling..however I have experienced numbness in the area since and the face shape on that side has altered. Fat seems to have wasted from the affected side and now a perceivable dent under my eye has formed where the impact occurred. My doctor is aware of the issue but I have not yet asked for further evaluation. I sometimes get headaches and my self confidence is suffering greatly. I know it's my fault for having not sought attention right away but I did not feel it warranted a medical emergency at the time.

Now I feel I will have to ask due to the deformity and the headaches. If I need treatment will it be covered on the medical card? I know to fix the deformity I might to need to see a surgeon. I don't want to feel like a big eejtt who wants a boob job or whatnot on the medical card..it's just my face and everyone sees it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Tell your doctor the full story. He or she may be 'aware' of it but that doesn't mean they know how it is affecting you if you haven't told them. You sound like the sort of person who doesn't like to bother the doctor but we sometimes assume doctors should know how we feel. Keep a diary of the headaches and ask your doctor to refer you.
    If it is medically necessary to do surgery, and only the doctor can tell you that, it will be covered under your medical card but there may be a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I dont think operations are ever carried out on a medical card basis.
    you either go public, (any Joe Soap can do) or you go private, (pay for the consultant fees and treatment yourself, or through VHI etc.)

If you chose to go public, you will need to get a referral from your GP to a consultant, prob a maxilliofacial surgeon in your case. Then when you get that appointment (could be a year or more waiting on it) the doc will tell you what treatment, surgery is available to you.

If youre eligible for surgery he will put you on a public waiting list. they used to be years long, not so bad now with the NTPF helping people who are waiting more than 9months.

so get a referral and take it from there. xxx

Advertisement