Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Games Live

Options
  • 24-11-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭

It's probably a repeat, but I see SKy Arts are showing Video Games Live today at 6pm and repeated tonight at 1:50am.

Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra performing songs from games with laser show, etc.

Sky Plussing it so will check it out myself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

won't be able to see it myself. Would be great if somebody uploaded it to youtube ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Recording this so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Almost three years to the day (ah, time, that transient mistress!) since the conductor of Video Games Live in the National Concert Hall promised they'd come back to Dublin ASAP.

They still haven't come :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Enjoyed the hour, would have liked to heart some Final Fantasy music on it but I missed the first 15 minutes so maybe I missed it.

The guy with the guitar got on my nerves pretty quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Thought it was great. Only bits that irritated me were the guy who was like "Are you ready? For CASTLEVANIA!!!!!!!!!!!" (twat), and when the crowd were clapping during the Mario pianist's performance - they were so distracting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So VGL is back in Dublin tomorrow night at the convention center and there's a €20 off voucher in Bargain Alerts. I'm really looking forward to this having just spent the last two days at the iDIG music festival and meeting a heap of the composers. Anybody else from here heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, can't wait for it. Had a blast at iDig myself and this is the perfect way to round it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Incredible, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Unbelievably brilliant. Don't think you'll ever be lucky enough to see special guests like there were tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Wasn't a huge fan of the choice of music at all. Don't think we needed 5 different WoW themes and only one Final Fantasy piece, and no Mario or Halo or Persona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Given the work experience of the Conductor and Blizzard's profile at iDig I was kinda expecting that. I've never played any of the War Craft games myself but found the pieces enjoyable nonetheless.

I was also only expecting one piece from Final Fantasy and imo they chose well. (FF8 opening for those that didn't get to attend)

just as someone who has never played a Blizzard game, most of the second act didn't mean much to me, and I didn't know the guests at all if they are famous. But as you say, to be expected, Blizzard have a big majority in western video game performances.

I also thought a lot of the crowd was family of the orchestra rather than video games fans :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a licensing issue with Final Fantasy if I remember from last time, since Square Enix run their own FF-themed orchestral shows. That's why there's usually only a song or two on the VGL setlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I also thought a lot of the crowd was family of the orchestra rather than video games fans :)

My Wife and I were seated at 7:30 and spent the next 30minutes listening to a Woman tell people that they couldn't sit in her ENTIRE ROW as it was "reserved" for her family. Said Family all stumbled in at 7:59 and every group was represented in that row. I'm not giving out at all, just adding to your thought that a lot of family were present.

My Wife and I were seated at 7:30 and spent the next 30minutes listening to a Woman tell people that they couldn't sit in her ENTIRE ROW as it was "reserved" for her family. Said Family all stumbled in at 7:59 and every group was represented in that row. I'm not giving out at all, just adding to your thought that a lot of family were present.

Yes, I also ran into a woman reserving seats as well :D

There's a licensing issue with Final Fantasy if I remember from last time, since Square Enix run their own FF-themed orchestral shows. That's why there's usually only a song or two on the VGL setlist.

Fair enough. I am going to such a show in London in September anyway(Final Symphony II).

Advertisement