Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour running a business in residential area (Old thread)

Options
  • 24-11-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

As the long winded title says. i live in a previously quiet cul de sac, part of the reason we moved there was how quiet it was but in the last two years a neighbour has moved in and is running a business from her house.

it has progressively gotten worse and now the street is busy from 4 till 9 in the evening all week and also all day at weekends with people dropping off kids for half hour lessons. some days i can't get parked outside my own house as some parents drop their kids and just sit in their cars. some people calling are quite rude and park across driveways and have to be ushered on.

i'm thinking of complaining to the corporation but i want other peoples advice, do i have a right to complain? am i being a cranky b*stard ? and what we ye do in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

i'm thinking of complaining to the corporation but i want other peoples advice, do i have a right to complain? am i being a cranky b*stard ? and what we ye do in this situation.
    I am not what you'd call a NIMBY but planning controls are there for a reason. You bought/rented in a residential development for a reason too and you should be entitled to relatively peaceful enjoyment of your home.

If a house is being used as a place of business, then that is a material change of use and generally would require planning permission.

Have you spoken to the neighbour yet? That would be my first port of call, if the only problem is parking etc. She may be able to prevent parents sitting outside etc. She may not realise it's a burden on her neighbours. If she's informed and doesn't care or doesn't resolve the issues, then I'd be taking it further to the council, and I'd be documenting the problems photographically from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What did the neighbour say when you approached them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i know i should but i hadn't approached them yet, i just wanted to know if they are in the wrong. it would be awkward to approach someone and then have to report them but i guess it would be the right thing to do.

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't worry about it being awkward. You could scurry off to the council and never give the neighbour a chance to sort it out...you are doing them a favour by giving them that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

reporting him before having that 'chat' IMO is wrong.

What I would find unacceptable, 1. clients parking in my spot. 2. Clients having attitude when asked to move

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's a bit of a grey area. Childminders are exempt from applying for change of use planning. So if she can argue she is operating a childminding service she has done nothing wrong.

If however, she is operating a school from her house, she is not exempt. I'd imagine if it's a few piano lessons or whatever, no change of use would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

T-K-O wrote: »
    reporting him before having that 'chat' IMO is wrong.

What I would find unacceptable, 1. clients parking in my spot. 2. Clients having attitude when asked to move

What do you mean by "Your spot" ? Are people parking in your driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Duckjob wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Your spot" ? Are people parking in your driveway?

Mine no but I think they are blocking the OP's driveway, that is unacceptable. s/He should really talk to his neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

Did this ever stop? Having a similar issue myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

It's a bit of a grey area. Childminders are exempt from applying for change of use planning. So if she can argue she is operating a childminding service she has done nothing wrong.

If however, she is operating a school from her house, she is not exempt. I'd imagine if it's a few piano lessons or whatever, no change of use would be required.
    Aren't there limits on the number of children that can be looked after at any one time before change of use permission is required? We've a lady offering childminding services on our street and we've no scenes as described. (If that's the OP's neighbour's business.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

As the long winded title says. i live in a previously quiet cul de sac, part of the reason we moved there was how quiet it was but in the last two years a neighbour has moved in and is running a business from her house.

it has progressively gotten worse and now the street is busy from 4 till 9 in the evening all week and also all day at weekends with people dropping off kids for half hour lessons. some days i can't get parked outside my own house as some parents drop their kids and just sit in their cars. some people calling are quite rude and park across driveways and have to be ushered on.

First, make a few enquiries with the council. Be sure you know what type of business she is operating. See what the council says.
    You are not the owner of the space outside your house

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

"people dropping off kids for half hour lessons" implies that the neighbour is giving grinds in the evening, or teaching music, or something similar.

I'd suggest that the OP have a chat with the neighbour first and base his actions on that meeting. Neighbour may very well apologise and try to ensure that parents don't just hover around the house waiting for their kids. Then again he may very well tell the OP to piss off, in which case he can take further action.

OP, realistically, how many cars are there at any one time? Because honestly the first post paints a picture of your quiet cul-de-sac being turned into Croke Park on All Ireland Day. If the OP is giving grinds, then realistically there can only be a few additional cars parked outside, no??

At the end of the day, your driveway is YOUR parking space, anything outside the boundary wall is public property, worth considering before you get too possessive of the footpath outside your house. And judging by what I've read on these forums, you could be doing a hell of a lot worse than a neighbour that spends his or her evening teaching kids...

djimi wrote: »
    What did the neighbour say when you approached them about it?

These kind of comments irritate me. The subtext always is 'why are you complaining here when you haven't approached the person yet??'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

These kind of comments irritate me. The subtext always is 'why are you complaining here when you haven't approached the person yet??'

IMO, the question shouldn't have to be asked. DOes anyone else not miss the days where you'd ask your neighbour what's going on, rather than running off to the council/guards/warden/internet off the bat?

mike_ie wrote: »
    IMO, the question shouldn't have to be asked. DOes anyone else not miss the days where you'd ask your neighbour what's going on, rather than running off to the council/guards/warden/internet off the bat?

Not everyone is great with those kind of situations. I agree with you actually, I would ask the neighbour first. But lets not get into the moral high ground about running to the internet, or else Boards would be a pretty desolate place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I wasnt even trying to be subtle about it in fairness. If you have a problem with a neighbour and havent spoken to them about it yet then there is no point coming onto an internet forum looking for advice on how to handle the situation. Does nobody talk to their neighbours any more?

djimi wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a neighbour and havent spoken to them about it yet then there is no point coming onto an internet forum looking for advice on how to handle the situation.

Why not though? Maybe some one else has had a similar experience that would give the OP some context, or maybe even calm them down a bit about the situation.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread (I know I started the derailing :o )

Advertisement