Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Collectibles Site

• 24-11-2012 6:16pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started this site just over a year ago. It's running on Joomla and various modules/plugins etc. are in use. Anyways comments & criticisms welcome. I know a mobile site would be a good idea, the thought has crossed my mind and it will possibly be a future addition.

> http://irishcallcards.net/

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Aw callcards, they bring back memories.

I like the overall layout and colour scheme. I could certainly see myself designing something similar. I haven't the time to look at everything but a few things I noticed:

- On the main navigation bar, the tab colour changes to orange on mouse hover, which is great. However, if that tab has a menu and the user moves the mouse into that menu, that tab returns to blue. It isn't a major thing but I think it's counter intuitive from a UI standpoint and a little distracting, i.e. that tab is still being "looked at" by the user so its heading should remain orange until the user hovers over another tab or moves off the navigation bar entirely. If you agree, try to include some code to set the tab colour to orange when the menu displays

- I'm not a fan of the design of the contents list at the top of the pages especially in the About Irish Callcard section. It takes up too much real estate and isn't immediately apparent that they are clickable. The fact that the phrase "Contents:" looks exactly like the actual contents list probably doesn't help. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel and go for a tried and tested approach, I'd recomment using a pipe seperated menu instead for your page specific sub menus.

- To my eyes, the headers in the right panel are *slightly* too big and the italics isn't great

- Usually the "About" tab would be one of the last in the list. I didn't expect to see it in the middle of the menu.

BTW...I'm not a web designer but I am a Java/.NET developer with an interest in UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Memories!

From a design POV, without going into code/SEO (drink taken):
    • I'd change the shades of blue to something less saturated and more of a muted blue. Have a look here for some decent colour schemes.
    • I'd change the header - properly structure the social and advertising sections.
    • Orange on the menubar is far too much outside of a blue colour scheme.
    • On the sidebar I'd go for a smaller font-size and lose the italics.
    • Homepage content is a bit *shy* - would love to see a selection of call card designs. That would urge me to visit whatever link to view more. A call to action, of sorts.
    • Logo needs some work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Aw callcards, they bring back memories.

I like the overall layout and colour scheme. I could certainly see myself designing something similar. I haven't the time to look at everything but a few things I noticed:

- On the main navigation bar, the tab colour changes to orange on mouse hover, which is great. However, if that tab has a menu and the user moves the mouse into that menu, that tab returns to blue. It isn't a major thing but I think it's counter intuitive from a UI standpoint and a little distracting, i.e. that tab is still being "looked at" by the user so its heading should remain orange until the user hovers over another tab or moves off the navigation bar entirely. If you agree, try to include some code to set the tab colour to orange when the menu displays
    Will look into this :)
    - I'm not a fan of the design of the contents list at the top of the pages especially in the About Irish Callcard section. It takes up too much real estate and isn't immediately apparent that they are clickable. The fact that the phrase "Contents:" looks exactly like the actual contents list probably doesn't help. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel and go for a tried and tested approach, I'd recomment using a pipe seperated menu instead for your page specific sub menus.
    I agree here. I actually started out having these as "blog pages" and then decided they were worthy of a seperate section. But I will look into changing this.
    - To my eyes, the headers in the right panel are *slightly* too big and the italics isn't great
    The original Callcard logo had a blue bar on top with the word CALLCARD in italics. I have tried to make the colour scheme be reflective of Callcards hence some unusual choices.
    - Usually the "About" tab would be one of the last in the list. I didn't expect to see it in the middle of the menu.
    Will look into this :) .
    BTW...I'm not a web designer but I am a Java/.NET developer with an interest in UI
    Memories!

From a design POV, without going into code/SEO (drink taken):
    • I'd change the shades of blue to something less saturated and more of a muted blue. Have a look here for some decent colour schemes.
      Hi Deliverance, are you talking about the light shade of blue on the menu and footer? Would be great if you could link to that colour scheme site (you forgot to link it :o)
    • I'd change the header - properly structure the social and advertising sections.
      Will look into this :).
    • Orange on the menubar is far too much outside of a blue colour scheme.
      The weird colour scheme I choose to reflect Callcards. Eircom designed their Callcards using a royal navy background with the orange Eircom logo inside it.
    • On the sidebar I'd go for a smaller font-size and lose the italics.
      I did this due to the original Callcard logo had a blue bar on top with the word CALLCARD in italics. I will reduce the font size a fraction though, good advice :) .
    • Homepage content is a bit *shy* - would love to see a selection of call card designs. That would urge me to visit whatever link to view more. A call to action, of sorts.
      I may get around to making a pictorial button for each of the major categories at some point, good idea :) . There is the slider on the homepage but that changes from the first slide (advertising the gallery) so the user may get a little lost.
    • Logo needs some work
      Still a bit of a graphic design n00b hence the fairly standard logo. I do agree though it doesn't really stand out that well. Will look into it :) .

Replied to all your posts in bold, cheers for replying :) . Overall what would you think of the site? Regarding SEO, what are the major issues? My search engine placement in Google and Bing seems to be ok, I have submitted XML sitemap to each. Again though SEO isn't one of my strengths

Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have taken the factors you guys mentioned on board and re-designed parts of the site. Does it look better now? :)

Nick

Advertisement