Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken screen on iphone 4s - irepair.ie?

• 24-11-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My gf's iphone 4s has a badly fractured screen, though it's working ok. I saw irepair.ie mentioned on another thread, and it appears good - €80 for repair with genuine parts and a 3 month warranty. I thought I'd ask here about people's experiences with them, and their general reputation.

Alternatively, if anyone has any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them too. Would it be worth considering getting a new phone (dont know how much the 4s is sold for now the iphone 5 is available).

Thanks

http://www.irepair.ie/Repairs/iPhone4S_repairs?product_id=80

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Dont know if you're in Dublin but the guys in the ilac centre (moore st side) replaced the digitizer and led screen on my touch for €50,
    if its just the front glass (digitizer) it should be less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Thanks.

I read that the digitizer and the screen are fused on the 4s, so if one breaks, the other needs to be replaced too.

I'm in Limerick (should have said that already). I wouldn't rule out Dublin, but I do like the warranty and "genuine parts" assertion by irepair, and it would be quicker/more convenient to use them, though I'd like to hear of anybody's experiences before deciding.

A quick look on amazon shows the digitizer as being £15.45, so you're probably paying them in excess of €60 for a 10 min job. Would you not give it a go yourself ?(its on you tube). Also you might impress your girlfriend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

eoing1 wrote: »
    A quick look on amazon shows the digitizer as being £15.45, so you're probably paying them in excess of €60 for a 10 min job. Would you not give it a go yourself ?(its on you tube). Also you might impress your girlfriend!
    Maybe. How easy is it to mess the device up?
    Comfortable enough with things like that usually; assembled PCs and fixed laptops and things like that. Wary of destroying the phone with stray glue or something though.

Maybe. How easy is it to mess the device up?
    Comfortable enough with things like that usually; assembled PCs and fixed laptops and things like that. Wary of destroying the phone with stray glue or something though.
    Just had a look at a you tube vid of how to do it. Its very fiddley alright,

defo not a job I'd look forward to doing.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I switched motherboards between two iPhone 4 s last week...buy the kit on eBay follow the videos on you tube and save 60 quid,it's easier then mecano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Replaced the screen on a iPhone4 once. Unfortunately the other half broke it again. For me the trouble/work of doing it is not worth the saving of €20-30... and I'm someone who enjoys doing stuff like this.
    Whatever you do don't buy the digitizer alone, buy the complete screen, like some wrote earlier they're glued together and a pain to separate and the result when you put them back together will never be perfect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dont know if you're in Dublin but the guys in the ilac centre (moore st side) replaced the digitizer and led screen on my touch for €50,
    if its just the front glass (digitizer) it should be less
    The digitiser and LCD is one piece on iPhones and you would break it trying to separate them. The touch is a lot cheaper to get a screen replaced on than an iPhone aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Used these lads recently
    Fixiy iPhone Repair

They can send you the screen for 40€ to so yourself, or they can arrange a courier, collect the iPhone, and return it within a few days for 65€.

Very quick to respond to emails too and website has a live chat function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

there is absolutely no way you will do this in 10mins. Its a tricky bstrd. A 3G/3GS, perhaps, but not a 4/4S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

A 10 min job? would you ever shut up. It takes at the very least 30 min and the screens cost about €40 for a genuine one. Plus these people need to make money to pay for renting of premises etc, paying staff etc. The OP if more than entitled to try the repair himself and not pay someone to do it, but if you are clueless about these kind of repairs it's best to leave it to a pro.

But do watch out, some of these store do very shoddy work, they are trying to get them done as quickly as possible using very cheap screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

mine is broken as well, but i have been warned about those $20ish repair kits, the replacement screens are not of the same quality, and melt when overheated. so just be careful:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

If you go to a cheap shop to get it replaced, they use crap screens, they break again so easily, as do the ones for 15 quid on amazon/eBay. I'd go with paying for the genuine parts. 80 quid seems decent enough, I can only guess it'd be a lot more if you paid apple to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Just popped in here to recommend a place I saw on a different thread - http://www.brokenscreen.ie/

They replaced a broken screen on my iPad 2 and I was very happy with the service.
    I emailed them for a quote, they mailed me back same day with a very good quote (compared to the other places I emailed). They sent a courier to collect, repaired it, phoned me to tell me it was repaired and took payment via Visa over the phone, and dropped it back to me, all in the agreed timescale.

I'm not affiliated with them - just a happy customer.

Advertisement