Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip-switch Failed

Options
  • 24-11-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

About 2 hours ago one of the trip-switches went down shutting power down on the landing lights, downstairs lights and Fire Alarms. My mother told me that last week this also happened.

BILD1748.jpg

I have basic knowledge of electrics in that i can rewire lights and sockets. I checked all the possible offending light for shorts or damaged cabling, but all seems fine.

i turned the trip switch back on and went around one by one turning the lights on in rotation to see if the trip-switch would go again, but it didn't, after about 30 minutes the trip switch went again. This time when i pushed it back up it gave a small bang/flash and went straight off, needless to say i left it off.

Will be contacting corporation Monday to get an electrician sent out.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this, could the trip-switch have somehow failed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I have basic knowledge of electrics in that i can rewire lights and sockets. I checked all the possible offending light for shorts or damaged cabling, but all seems fine.
    An insulation resistance test and a grip on ammeter would be handy to test properly. Best getting a qualified electrician with the proper equipment to check this out properly.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this, could the trip-switch have somehow failed.

Either:

1) The MCB (trip switch) has failed as you suggest. Electrical devices fail sometimes, that is just life :)

2) The MCB has not failed, it is doing it's job and there is a fault condition present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

This time when i pushed it back up it gave a small bang/flash and went straight off.

seems like a short to me
    check that outside lights are turned off(in case moisture got into fitting)

best to leave the breaker off if you cant find problem as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

just looked at your pic again

have you 2 electric showers?

if so you need a priority/non priority unit fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

In cases like this I would always assume the MCB isnt at fault and that there is a wiring or appliance fault.

there have been quite a few electrical faults this week related to the amount of rain we have had causing moisture ingress like meercat said

You need to get it checked out, if you are out of your depth best to keep away from it and let an electrician sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

meercat wrote: »
    have you 2 electric showers?

Just one shower, we had a revamp done by the corporation about 10 years back (father had alzheimers), they re-did the shower. One of those switches is not connected.
    meercat wrote: »
    check that outside lights are turned off (in case moisture got into fitting)

that actually passed through my mind, they are pretty old, over 18 years and have seen better days.
    TPM wrote: »
    You need to get it checked out, if you are out of your depth best to keep away from it and let an electrician sort it

Will be ringing corporation Monday, amazing how these things always happen on a weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Update:

I checked the outside lights, and the rear of the house the cabling was all melted, it was all black and blistered, the copper cores were also black and the inside of the light was full of moisture.

I had a spare outside lamp and i connected that, i put the trip-switch back on and its now been on 2 hours and is still working. Fingers crossed that was the fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Update:

I checked the outside lights, and the rear of the house the cabling was all melted, it was all black and blistered, the copper cores were also black and the inside of the light was full of moisture.

I had a spare outside lamp and i connected that, i put the trip-switch back on and its now been on 2 hours and is still working. Fingers crossed that was the fault.

It would seem that the MCB was doing its job.
    God bless MCBs and all who sail in them ......:D

Advertisement