Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Well said Gavlor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

Ok save 3 and a 1/4 box of pringles for this one...I've a lot to say!!

There's a shock ;)

Right, word from the boss is to check back at 9....... Better be bleedin' good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Sunday 3rd March

Meath Spring Half Marathon (Bohermeen)

Chip Time: 1:21:39 - New PB!
    Average Pace: 6.14/mile
    Result: 33/640

OK, where to start....The last couple of days I’ve had loads of nervous energy, I knew training had been going well, but was not sure exactly how well!! Today was the measure; I was chomping at the bit and once the hooter went off, that energy was taken out on the road!! What happened about an hour and twenty minutes later even I was surprised at!!

I left for Bohermeen about half 8 this morning after I horsed down a big bowl of porridge (porridge contained no horses!:pac:) Drive wasn’t too bad, all motorway and arrived about 10:45 in plenty time. Bumped into all the usual boards crew before the start, including some new faces to me in RayCun, belcarra and Mr Stew!:)

Done a quick stretch and warm up and then jogged to the start with Marthastew and career_move. Bit of a delay at the start while 700 people waited for the 1:30 pacer :P but eventually we were off and running about 10 mins late. I was a few rows back from the start in the hope that the congestion would allow me to ease into the first mile but I still set off too fast! I passed meno at about half a mile and he warned me that he did not want to see me again until the finish! I kindly obliged!:D

I was in a smooth comfortable rhythm for the first couple of miles as I went looking to settle into a good group, I found a couple of lads going 6:20s for the first 2 miles and settled in with them but soon realised they were slowing so I moved on.

At the end of the third mile my garmin decided to pack it in.:rolleyes: The time was still on it but distance was stalled so my average pace was going up and up, no option but to turn it off and on again. It was back working after this but the time and distance was all screwed up so all i had for the rest of the race was average lap pace..which I could manage with to be honest, the laps were just lapping at every .83 of a mile though!

Anyway, things were going smooth for miles 4 and 5. Towards the end of the first lap I spotted a lad in a Raheny top going the same pace as myself and I said we’d be better together than battling alone, he agreed and he became my buddy until the last half a mile of the race!;)

Between the 2 of us we were now going well checking the pace now and again ensuring we were under the 6:20 pace, but not by too much to ensure we were not burned out by mile 10. At this point the 5k runners merged onto the route so there was a bit of congestion for a while but once we went onto the second lap it was all clear again. Still feeling comfortable with the pace I started to think of what point I would push on..mile 8? mile 9? mile 10?..I would see how it went.

Our group had about 6 people now with me and the Raheny guy leading it. I was glad I was at the front when at mile 8 a dog tore out of a house and went for the lad at the back!! Big fecker too! He was put back in his place fairly lively by the house owner...but still you’d think they would lock it up for the race!!

At mile 9 I saw RayCun up ahead and this was my sign to kick on!! Picked up the pace a bit and the group followed, we were bringing it home together!! Passed Ray at mile 10 and our group was now down to 4 as we pushed for the finish. The last couple of miles were tough but I knew I had to stick it as I was on course for a good PB. The hill at the last turn deadened the legs a bit but I wasn’t giving in now. Soon one of the 4 in the group a Mullingar Harrier made a break , I decided to follow leaving the other 2 behind. Digging in hard now I could see the turn to the finish straight in the distance. I got on to the side of the MH lad just before the turn but he had another kick left in him so just beat me over the line, I didn’t care....1:21!! Boom! Delighted! :D 7 minute PB since my last half 3 months ago!

Also ran 1:01 for 10 miles today which was a 2 min PB and 38mins for the last 10km, another unofficial PB.

Mile Splits
    (6:08, 6:19, 6:17, 6:14, 6:12, 6:16, 6:08, 6:15, 6:06, 6:07, 6:05, 6:07, 5:58)

Too be fair without the 3 lads all working as a group I would not have managed that time running by myself and we all agreed after that this was the case with big PBs for the whole lot of them! After getting water and a banana into me I crawled back up the finishing straight to support some of the boardies home. Great runs by all with a PB also for meno and also a great time from Officer Digger claiming back the house title ;)...for the moment!

Great runs by the Stews also with them all coming in under 1:30!! Career_move and YoungAnne soon followed with PBs also. To be fair it’s a great course and perfect for the PB seeker and the weather was perfect so it was like the perfect storm running wise today really!!!

Chatted for a good while with the boards gang after and great to meet beedube and TRR for the first time while meno was in the ear also calling me a ‘wuss’ if I don’t go for sub 3 in Rotterdam now! He has a point in fairness!

Bit of a trek back home after but worth it!! Legs as digger says are fooked now! Should be grand tomorrow!

Afterthought

Said I’d give it a bit to sink in before writing this and to re-assess where I am at the moment. So my first 2013 target achieved!! And looking at the below It’s pretty obvious now I need new goals, I’ll be setting these over the next couple of days.

Distance|Start of log PB| 2013 Target| Current PB
    5km|19:31|18:29| 18:44
    10km|42:30|38:59| 42:30
    Half Marathon|1:32:29|1:26:59|1:21:39
    Marathon|3:29:20|3:09:59| 3:29:20

So onto the R word, Rotterdam! So as meno says, I would be a wuss if I don’t at least attempted the sub 3 in next month now. I was always putting it off and I know I have loads of time to get there but when I’m currently on form It would be a waste not to at least go for it!

I still have a fear on the endurance aspect and about crashing at mile 20, but look, If I don’t try I’ll never know, so sub 3 attempt in Rotterdam it is!! If I do hit the wall I should still hopefully manage 3:05/3:10 at worse so that will do me as a B target if it does happen!

It’s hard to imagine that 12 months ago my half PB was 1:38 :eek:, some difference a year makes when you put in time and effort.

I could not have got to my current level without the guidance in this forum, from Younganne and all the mentors in the Novice thread last year and also to meno in the current 2012 class thread! Also to all the advice from other runners regardless of what level on here, I have got as much golden tips from all of you too, a big thanks for all your support on my log, this is what keeps me determined and focused on the next task at hand! Ye know who ye are!!

So onto Rotterdam, suppose I better go find that sub 3 support thread....:eek:

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    7m|8.5m|12m|Rest|5m|Rest|13.1m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    45.6m|18.1m|389.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Words fail me. Brilliant progress, brilliant running blokic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Great race report and superb running, you're just a different class. A sub 3 will be no bother to you, P&D will take care of the endurance for you and I don't think speed will be an issue for you!

Sounds like a great course and a great day, seems to be the day for knackered Garmins though!

Congrats again.

Great race J (T1000) and I was just about to suggest a boards ban for you of you didn't revise the Rotterdam target :)

There'll be no stopping you now, Krusty and co beware!

Many congrats, that is a superb time. Don't know how you held that pace for so long. That is serious running.
    Very inspiring too, I might add!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great stuff lad. You should definitely find yourself a club, they would be crying out for someone with your ability so you can ask for a sign-on fee. Also it would be difficult to get picked for Rio if you were 'unattatched' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well Done today J, thats fantastic running!! You have really progressed in such a short time with continued training. there are no limits to your targets, ..keep it going!!!:D
    Great report too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Fantastic.............and that's just the race report ;):D

Not to deflate your boat or ruin the love here, but did you catch the result of the Arsenal game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thrilled for you, a truly fantastic run and a wonderful report J
    Really good of you to come back and cheer us in after your race, your shout-out brought a smile to my face.
    Sub 3 in Rotterdam will be no bother to you.
    As meno says you should definitely join a club, they'd be lucky to get you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done today blockic and it was good to meet you.
    All roads lead to Rotterdam now!

Ps any chance you can get runningking barred or blocked for his comments??

Wow, thanks everyone!!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Great stuff lad. You should definitely find yourself a club, they would be crying out for someone with your ability so you can ask for a sign-on fee. Also it would be difficult to get picked for Rio if you were 'unattatched' ;)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    As meno says you should definitely join a club, they'd be lucky to get you:)

Yeah, Ray was even saying it to me afterwards today too. As I'm in the middle of the plan at the moment I'll wait until after Rotterdam. But will definitely join somewhere then.

Not to deflate your boat or ruin the love here, but did you catch the result of the Arsenal game?

Were Arsenal playing?? Didn't see it!!:P :mad::mad::mad: I'm just waiting for the 1.5bn takeover now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

great run, you looked very comfortable as you cruised by, ye fecker:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

That's some racing J. Congrats man.

I was looking at your HM goal time for 2013 earlier today wondering how it would all turn out for ya.....you really smashed the life out it didn't you.

Unfortunately you have now joined a group of runners who run towards me on cool downs, 2.5 miles out!!! You've changed man:D;).

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Wow speechless blockie! Amazing n well done n very best wishes in Rotterdam !
    Great race report too, found my heart racing just reading it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Well done blockic,thats some progress in 12 months:)

Roll on Rotterdam now,All of boards are behind you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Ill try this again.....damn technology

Great running lad. And as meno mentioned not even with a running club yet. Quite incredible to think there's tons more to come from you when you join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

What a super run! Great consistent pacing too. That Sub 3 dreams is yours for the taking. So impressed with the improvement over 12 months. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

What a super run! Great consistent pacing too. That Sub 3 dreams is yours for the taking. So impressed with the improvement over 12 months. Keep it up!

Hey BlockicJamazing! Great run and report, I could taste it at the end
    You are the biz, and look out Rotherham and Rio!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Super stuff. What's the McMillan equivalent of your time over the full?

Super stuff. What's the McMillan equivalent of your time over the full?

Thanks TBW, McMillan predicitng 2:52 for me now. I'll bite someones hand off for 2:59:58!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Some running Blockic - very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done again, super run! I'm a little more confident of you pacing the Limerick half with me now ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done again, super run! I'm a little more confident of you pacing the Limerick half with me now ;):D

Nice one digger! Go get that sub 3:10 in Boston now, your great run yesterday has you right on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Thanks TBW, McMillan predicitng 2:52 for me now. I'll bite someones hand off for 2:59:58!!

Who wouldn't! Nice 8 minute buffer there though!

• Advertisement

you and your soft targets :cool:

Advertisement