Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wednesday
    8 miles easy / 7:48 average pace

Headed out on this one with question marks surrounding my calf. Seriously tight all day yesterday and uncomfortable. However while running, although a bit sore, it was not too bad. My form is not hindered by it. Home to ice it and a bit more foam rolling last night, slight improvement today. Have a 12 miler tonight but I am considering skipping it to get this strain put to bed. The main goal is to hit the LSR out of the ballpark this weekend. I don’t think missing one 12m run will hinder me at this stage, but a dodgy calf might!

ncmc wrote: »
    At this stage in your training Blockic, I’d be inclined to bite the bullet and go to the physio. Sounds like a good deep tissue massage would sort it out.

You always talk so much sense!!:) I know I should alright. Gonna give it a couple more days. If it's still at me I'll go then.

I see you are doing some great mentor work around these parts lately with novices? You should take some under your wing and coach them! More than capable from what I see!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    You always talk so much sense!!:) I know I should alright. Gonna give it a couple more days. If it's still at me I'll go then.

I see you are doing some great mentor work around these parts lately with novices? You should take some under your wing and coach them! More than capable from what I see!:)
    I'm great at giving advice *not so good at taking it* :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I see you are doing some great mentor work around these parts lately with novices?

+1 ncmc; you should be the 'go slow' ambassador on the Novice thread when it starts up this year. Thanks for taking up my mantle :D

Right, physio booked for tonight after some convincing by ncmc. Need to get to the bottom of this fairly lively! Will report results later!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 ncmc; you should be the 'go slow' ambassador on the Novice thread when it starts up this year. Thanks for taking up my mantle :D
    But nobody is listening to me! Were we this stubborn this time last year???
    Right, physio booked for tonight after some convincing by ncmc. Need to get to the bottom of this fairly lively! Will report results later!
    Good call Blockic, no point in faffing around at such a pivotal stage of your training. Good luck with it, I don't envy you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    But nobody is listening to me! Were we this stubborn this time last year???

Yes :pac:
    People just find it hard to believe at first; keep fighting the good fight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You guys should keep a record of how many times in this year's novice thread you have to tell people to go slower :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ok ncmc officially appointed Go Slow Ambassador 2013. :)

Ok ncmc officially appointed Go Slow Ambassador 2013. :)
    Excellent! Where do I pick up the keys to my swanky ambassadors residence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Seems we need an acronym for this. "STFU"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hope the calf is doing ok and physio brings good news - big goal is far too close to be taking risks.

Well done again on that savage HM in Bohermeen; and apologies for the post race ramblings... ha!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Seems we need an acronym for this. "STFU"

Maybe STFD would be more appropriate?

Good news folks!:D

Minor injury relating to the flexor digitorum longus muscle. Should be back in action for Sundays LSR all going well after my first dry needling session! Felt weird during it and he said I probably won't be able to run tomorrow or saturday but I'lll take 2 days rather than 2 weeks! Delighted I went even for the peace of mind that it is nothing major. Thanks ncmc. :) Hopefully it all goes to plan now. Fairly painful at the moment! :eek: but said it should ease off after a few hours.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Maybe STFD would be more appropriate?

STFD is the way to go id say!! Liking it already!

Thursday
    Rest (enforced):(

So as said above, had to go to physio last night and as a result reluctantly cancelled a 12 miler. I miss one run and I feel undertrained!! :rolleyes:

Friday
    Rest (enforced)

Again planned a recovery run today but had to rest, so I’m going to test the leg with a recovery run tomorrow now instead. It still feels fairly tight but I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt at the moment and will reassess in the morning. Again main run is the LSR on Sunday. Only if I am in the right condition for it however!! :)

It’s mad because, I am feeling so fresh at the moment and it has me worried.:confused: I should be fairly tired at this stage of training but no sign of it! My last run was Wednesday but it feels like 2 weeks ago! Crazy mind games…is it a bit early for Taper Madnees??? :D

Just really want to get a long run in for reassurance!

I’ve also set me new training paces and new 2013 Targets! And If Gavlor says the word soft I will drive all the way to Blah Land and have it out with ya! I don’t care how far under sub 3 it is, once I get a sub 3!

Training Type|Previous Paces| New Paces
    VO2 Max|5:50 - 5:55|5:30 - 5:40
    Lactate Threshold|6:15 - 6:25|6:05 - 6:10
    Easy Runs|7:50 - 8:10|7:40 - 8:00
    Long Runs|7:50 - 8:20|7:35 - 8:10
    Recovery Runs|8:40 - 9:00|8:45 - 9:15
    HMP|6:20 - 6:25|6:10 - 6:15
    PMP|7:05 - 7:15|6:45 - 6:50

Distance|Original 2013 Target|Current PB| New 2013 Target
    5km|18:29|18:44|17:15
    10km|38:59|42:30|35:59
    Half Marathon|1:26:59|1:21:39|1:19:59
    Marathon|3:09:59|3:29:20|2:59:59

Thursday
    Rest (enforced):(

So as said above, had to go to physio last night and as a result reluctantly cancelled a 12 miler. I miss one run and I feel undertrained!! :rolleyes:

Friday
    Rest (enforced)

Again planned a recovery run today but had to rest, so I’m going to test the leg with a recovery run tomorrow now instead. It still feels fairly tight but I’m giving it the benefit of the doubt at the moment and will reassess in the morning. Again main run is the LSR on Sunday. Only if I am in the right condition for it however!! :)

It’s mad because, I am feeling so fresh at the moment and it has me worried.:confused: I should be fairly tired at this stage of training but no sign of it! My last run was Wednesday but it feels like 2 weeks ago! Crazy mind games…is it a bit early for Taper Madnees??? :D

Just really want to get a long run in for reassurance!

I’ve also set me new training paces and new 2013 Targets! And If Gavlor says the word soft I will drive all the way to Blah Land and have it out with ya! I don’t care how far under sub 3 it is, once I get a sub 3!

Training Type|Previous Paces| New Paces
    VO2 Max|5:50 - 5:55|5:30 - 5:40
    Lactate Threshold|6:15 - 6:25|6:05 - 6:10
    Easy Runs|7:50 - 8:10|7:40 - 8:00
    Long Runs|7:50 - 8:20|7:35 - 8:10
    Recovery Runs|8:40 - 9:00|8:45 - 9:15
    HMP|6:20 - 6:25|6:10 - 6:15
    PMP|7:05 - 7:15|6:45 - 6:50

Distance|Original 2013 Target|Current PB| New 2013 Target
    5km|18:29|18:44|17:15
    10km|38:59|42:30|35:59
    Half Marathon|1:26:59|1:21:39|1:19:59
    Marathon|3:09:59|3:29:20|2:59:59

Good call on taking a couple of days off. Like I said, it's too important a time in your training to be taking risks. I reckon you're not feeling the tiredness because you're getting fitter and fitter. I'm a good few weeks behind you on P&D but even still, I thought i'd be wrecked at this stage, but I think P&D really increases your strength and endurance.

Your suggested paces make my brain hurt! :o

Scary times!

So really what you're saying is that in a race, from now on, you will never have a mile with a 7 at the start again (unless you're pacing, but that doesn't count).

You'll also be sneaking off on us mortals and hanging with the elites ........you'll probably even set up a' Restricted' Boards Forum just for you and the other elites........You'll start spending more time there and less with us..........we'll be left all Blockicless.......

Yeah well you go on off with your new buddies, see if I care........

(Sorry, got ahead of myself there........)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Scary times!

So really what you're saying is that in a race, from now on, you will never have a mile with a 7 at the start again (unless you're pacing, but that doesn't count).

You'll also be sneaking off on us mortals and hanging with the elites ........you'll probably even set up a' Restricted' Boards Forum just for you and the other elites........You'll start spending more time there and less with us..........we'll be left all Blockicless.......

Speaking of which...my buddy Philip managed to get himself bumped up to pen c for Rotterdam by emailing them his result from Sunday. You could probably get the same upgrade if you email them. It should mean you'd avoid the Business class that us in pen d will have to get around. Also, you'd be in with similar pace people which should make it easier to join a group/pacers.

Scary times!

:D Enjoyed that speil!

Didn't think of that actually! That would in fact be my target/plan!

And sure you have a faster 5km PB than me at the moment so you are in fact more elite than myself!:p

belcarra wrote: »
    Speaking of which...my buddy Philip managed to get himself bumped up to pen c for Rotterdam by emailing them his result from Sunday. You could probably get the same upgrade if you email them. It should mean you'd avoid the Business class that us in pen d will have to get around. Also, you'd be in with similar pace people which should make it easier to join a group/pacers.

Cheers belcarra. Will get on that case right now! Philip can't run off without me!:(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's more like it.

Bout time you were a man about your targets, it's only taken you 3 months ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's more like it.

Bout time you were a man about your targets, it's only taken you 3 months ;)

And a little 'motivation'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

On a serious note, thats some improvement over a short period of time. Be careful not to over train, there could be pay back somewhere down the line from doing too much to soon

Gavlor wrote: »
    On a serious note, thats some improvement over a short period of time. Be careful not to over train, there could be pay back somewhere down the line from doing too much to soon

Haha, wouldnt expect anything from you!:p Nah I know what you mean alright. Once Rotterdam is over I'm going into hiberation with a month of slow and seldom recovery runs! :cool:

Saturday
    5.5 miles recovery / 8:47 average pace

This was more recovery in terms of the drink rather than recovery from tough running sessions! :D

Having said that, I wanted to go real easy anyway to see how the calf was after having a couple of days off. I marshalled at a duathlon this morning and watching the runners go by I was really eager to go and run! 4 hours of standing at the one spot by myself has given me new appreciation for people who volunteer at races! :eek: Thank you to the volunteers out there!!

Back to my run which I went on after the marshalling was complete. Overall it went well, calf is still a bit sore but it is more bruising from the dry needling i think now rather than the actual tightness in the muscle. Flexibility has improved in it an awful lot and I hardly notice it at all now.:) All systems go for the LSR in the morning.

Nothing better than a run after having a couple of forced days off, was absolutely loving it this evening! Can’t wait for the LSR now. Hoping I will feel good physically after 21 miles tomorrow.

4 hours of standing at the one spot by myself has given me new appreciation for people who volunteer at races! :eek: Thank you to the volunteers out there!!

+1 to that. I always try to thank the volunteers on the runs, when I do it - you can see their face light up, especially the females..........but maybe thats just me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I just read your revised goals and pace times there J, and involutarily shouted "slow down" at the computer screen. Mind-boggling stuff, your work rate has been exceptional, well done man.

upthe19th wrote: »
    I just read your revised goals and pace times there J, and involutarily shouted "slow down" at the computer screen. Mind-boggling stuff, your work rate has been exceptional, well done man.

Cheers J, I can't believe them myself! :eek: Will be intereting to see if I can hit the paces now! Work rate has slacked a bit the last couple of weeks but hoping for 2 solid weeks now before taper. You are going well yourself. Consistancy, pace variation and miles are key, the times just come flying down then.

Sunday
    21 miles LSR / 7:48 average pace

A wet, damp, windy, cold and miserable morning as I headed off out on a new route that I had not done before hoping it would distract me for a few miles. The initial plan here was to include 14 PMP miles, but after the injury during the week I said I would postpone them until next week to air on the side of caution. The new route was a bit hillier than expected but this is good training for Rotterdam (even though it’s flat the hills should still benefit me) so I didn’t mind it.

I set of at 8:10 pace with a plan to gradually increase the pace to be at 7:30s by mile 14ish. This went according to plan overall. Took a gel at 8 and 16 mile mark and some sport jelly beans in between. This combo is going well and is probably what I’ll do in Rotterdam (2 extra gels though). Also decided that I will probably walk through a couple of water stations on the day too in order to ensure I get water down me as it’s cups over there.

Anyway back to the run. The wind was a bit of a pain in the ass at times but I powered on. For the last few miles I said I’d up it a small bit and I managed to get in a few 7:10s couldn’t go any faster than that today though. Finished at 21 and then had a light half mile recovery job back to the house. Felt alright after it really which is a bonus as anything from 18 miles on up to now I’ve been wrecked.

Positives
    • Nice to get a long run in, it has been a while
    • High 5 IsoGels working well.
    • New runners are a go for Rotterdam
    • Did not feel completely spent after todays run
    • Calf held up well which I’m delighted about
    • My new batch of whey is tasty! Unlike the last one which made me sick!
    Negatives
    • The weather – ugh...just terrible!
    • Running 2:45 minutes by yourself without even an mp3 player is painful/torture. Need to sort this for the next one some way.
    • Muscles were shouting big time the last few miles
    • Based on todays run, 6:50s for 26 miles??:eek: Jasis, I dunno, the PMP mile run next week will tell a lot.

Moderately happy with the week, mileage is not bad considering the injury, only had to shelf one run. Just saw in BeepBeeps log that it’s 35 days :eek: to the big day! Scary! 2 more weeks and then TAPER TIME!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    4m|5m|8m|Rest|Rest|5.5m|21m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    43.5m|61.6m|432.7m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What kicks did you decide on for the big day?

Advertisement