Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    That would be exactly how it felt, looks like im on the right track so! Have 12-14 PMP on my LSR Saturday, so I shall be expecting to be in ribbons Sunday, I'll just kind the nearest bar stool and camp there for the day!
    Thought you might find this post interesting ahead of the LSR tomorrow
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73201938&postcount=94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Thought you might find this post interesting ahead of the LSR tomorrow
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73201938&postcount=94

Do you keep a log of interesting posts and just throw them out every now and then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Do you keep a log of interesting posts and just throw them out every now and then :D
    Sometimes I bookmark things that I think are interesting but I don't have time/can't be bothered reading and then when I have nothing better to do like tonight I look back at them.......bit of a nerd aren't I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

VaderMLK wrote: »
    hello Blockic,
    Philip here, I met you after the bohermeen run. Just came across and reading some of your log – you are making some great improvements well done.
    I’m heading to Rotterdam too so may see you there I’m sure. Myself and Belclarra are on the 9:40am flight from dub.

Anyways I saw you had a query about getting water on the course, have a look at this link, looks like they have lids on the cups so should make it easier.

http://www.marathonrotterdam.org/runners/runnersinfo/smart-drinking-system

good work with getting bumped on the starting pens. Few lads in the club got sorted too so hopefully will mean a bit less congestion at the start. fella here at work was saying can get very congested starting so we might was well be up as far as we can. sure we might even get to do a few miles together though my chat at that pace
    may be minimal.
    Also I read you were doing your final PMP run this weekend.

Not sure exactly where you are based but there are a few of us doing a half marathon in balbriggan on sunday and my plan is to do 10-12k beforehand and then do PMP for the run itself. Doing MP on my own I find hard at times to maintain also.

Finally what’s your strategy for the race itself? Having “come a cropper” at DCM last year I’m going to head off steady/easy for the first few ks. Did this at both the athlone 3/4 and the eco run in dublin port before dcm and was a great feeling finishing strong at them both for a change.
    Thus I’m planning on doing 8k at 4:25, 3k at 4:15 and then the remainder (fingers crossed) at 4:10. That adds up to a 2:59 overall time…. sure might as well give it a go...

Hi Philip,

Cheers for stopping by!! :D I'm on the 6am....yes 6AM!!! :eek: flight from Cork so I'll be there well early enough! Definitely hope to meet up with ye over the weekend. I saw those water things alright, not sure what to make of them, hopefully they have an example at the expo.

Thanks for the offer on Sunday, PMP miles are tough on your own for sure, I'm in Kilkenny but just realised I have to go to Cork tomorrow now so the HM is out for me, although I was half tempted, it would make the LSR so much easier!

Strategy for Rotterdam, I have only started to think about it. I was going to just try to stick like glue to 3hr pacers for as long as I could! :D But seeing TRRs post there I might change that!

Good luck with the session anyway Sunday and might see you the Saturday evening in Rotterdam.

TRR wrote: »
    Lads didn't both of you run low 1.20s in Bohermeen? I'll throw my oar in here and give you my opinion, sure feck it I've been doing it all week and upsetting lots of people so why change tact ;)

IMO the worst thing you can do when targeting a time like sub 3/4/5 is aim for something like 2.59/3.59/4.59. For both of you 1.27-1.28 would be very conservative for the first half. I always aim (what I mean is I train) for 4-5 minutes under my ideal time. Based on your half times the above approach is sensible IMO and you should be even to push on in the second half.

It took me 5 years to go under a certain time barrier and looking back now it had nothing to do with fitness it was all to do with confidence. I was probably in the shape of my life in 2007 and missed it while in recent years I'd say with 85% of the fitness and a "fcuk it this is happening today attitude" I managed to get over that hurdle and have done it a few times now. I now have a new time to chase and looking at the mile splits required makes me feel sick, but I know if I do the training and get a bit of confidence in myself it will happen.

Thanks TRR for the advice, I'd be comfortable enough going out at 1.28 but what most concerns me is after 20 miles, I could be dead in the water at that stage. Hoping the increase in mileage I have this time round will benefit me in that aspect.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, confidence is without a doubt a issue with me, although the 1:21 in bohermeen has boosted that a bit for sure. It's lack of experience too with only one marathon behind me. Hoping to get 3-4 in this year but only 2 being raced full-out. I'm liking that go for broke mindset though on raceday. Might try it out. Go big or go home as they say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I ran 3.37 in my first marathon and 5 months later ran 2.58 with a lot less mileage than you and on the back of a 1.24 half marathon. No pressure like ;)

Seriously though, you should actually set out your own race plan and go with it. I know that contradicts everything I said above but you need to have your own head set straight. Everybody worries about 20+ miles. It's the great unknown but if you've banked a decent number of long runs you maximise your chances. It's hard to simulate in training what may happen after the 20'mile mark but a great idea I find is trying to do a couple of 3+ hr LSR. Pace not nb but gets body use to time on feet. Also can simulate late race tiredness by doing something fast the day before LSR. Just a few ideas. The 3+ hr LSR is a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

Lads didn't both of you run low 1.20s in Bohermeen? I'll throw my oar in here and give you my opinion, sure feck it I've been doing it all week and upsetting lots of people so why change tact ;)

IMO the worst thing you can do when targeting a time like sub 3/4/5 is aim for something like 2.59/3.59/4.59. For both of you 1.27-1.28 would be very conservative for the first half. I always aim (what I mean is I train) for 4-5 minutes under my ideal time. Based on your half times the above approach is sensible IMO and you should be even to push on in the second half.

It took me 5 years to go under a certain time barrier and looking back now it had nothing to do with fitness it was all to do with confidence. I was probably in the shape of my life in 2007 and missed it while in recent years I'd say with 85% of the fitness and a "fcuk it this is happening today attitude" I managed to get over that hurdle and have done it a few times now. I now have a new time to chase and looking at the mile splits required makes me feel sick, but I know if I do the training and get a bit of confidence in myself it will happen.

thanks TRR for the advice and confidence booster esp from an elite runner like yourself. after my derailment at dcm last oct right now for this marathon i'd be just delighted to hit the sub3 marker and then after that maybe aim for other times. obviously if i have anything left towards the end i'll try pick up the pace but my sole aim at this one is the sub 3 monkey ! apart from connamara last year (must have been diggers company) i've had a mini crash in every marathon i've done at about 20-22 mile thus its fingers crossed i get to that point still feeling ok and then i'll aim for the negitive split.

blockic, good luck with your final lsrs and sure i'm sure we'll meet over the rotterdam weekend. i'll get my people (belclarra) to talk to your people !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good luck with tomorrows lsr j. Watch out out for the speed vans...would be terrible to get penalty points this far into the plan ;-)

Thursday
    3.5 miles recovery / 9:06 average pace

This was supposed to be a rest day but had the urge to get out for some fresh air, was thinking about a walk but sure If I’m going out I might as well run! Really slow jog around town and felt the better for it.

Friday
    8.1 miles easy / 7:47 average pace

Weather was only fit for the ducks on this one with a bit of sleet mixed in but it wasn’t too cold so I didn’t mind getting soaaaaaked! :pac: Its grand when it starts while you’re out running but it’s depressing looking out at the rain before you set off!! Fairly uneventful run.

Saturday
    4 miles recovery / 8:52 average pace

Had to head down south unexpectedly today so I had to put off my LSR until tomorrow. Managed to get out this evening before dark to get in a recovery run so I’m effectively just switching the days around. No harm done. Looking forward to the task that faces me tomorrow. Gonna head up to the citay for a flattish route to simulate race profile of Rotterdam. Too many killer hills around these parts! Bed early for me!!

thanks TRR for the advice and confidence booster esp from an elite runner like yourself.

Would you feck off, replace word elite with experienced marathon runner. Everything is relative and there are plenty of people round here who are more than 20 minutes closer to elite than me.
    after my derailment at dcm last oct right now for this marathon i'd be just delighted to hit the sub3 marker and then after that maybe aim for other times. obviously if i have anything left towards the end i'll try pick up the pace but my sole aim at this one is the sub 3 monkey !

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you target 2.55. I just mean don't try and run 1.29.59 * 2. Always good to aim for something like 2.58 or similar and if you have a bad mile, need to stop for a pee or even if your shoe lace opens you have a little time to play with. This is different from "banking time" by the way as It's well within your grasp not as if you'll be pushing the boat out. Being ultraconservative 1.29 first half would be the way to go IMO. Just some thoughts, I'll leave it at that as I don't want to be accused of fecking your race up if you blow up :D

• Advertisement

Sunday
    20 miles LSR / 7:04 average pace (incl. 15m @ PMP)

3 miles easy
    5 miles @PMP (6:47, 6:48, 6:55, 6:44, 6:42)
    3 min recovery jog
    4 miles @PMP (6:41, 6:49, 6:50, 6:50)
    3 min recovery jog
    3 miles @PMP (6:53, 6:43, 6:45)
    2 min recovery jog
    2 miles @PMP (6:39, 6:49)
    1 min recovery jog
    1 miles @PMP (6:41)
    2 miles easy

So I had two plans setting off today, plan A was to run 3 miles, then 14 @ PMP and 2 miles again. Alternatively, plan B was found by career_move (thanks CM ) which involved a 5-4-3-2-1 session suggested by Tergat in an old log at PMP pace with recoverys in between. Said I would see how I was after the first five PMP. After the first 5 my calves were at me so plan B became plan A fairly lively!!:D

These pace miles felt easier today that mid-week so that’s a good sign. But the last 3 miles at PMP were tough.

The run might not have been as beneficial as the one prescribed P&D but I felt like it was a great session for me. You know when it’s a good one when you feel it in the legs with a few miles to go.:cool:

Very good week’s work and a confidence builder to end the week. 1 more week then taper!!

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|9m|11.4m|3.5m|8.1m|4m|20m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    56m|117.6m|488.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Savage running there today blockic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Sunday

3 miles easy
    3 min recovery jog
    3 min recovery jog
    2 min recovery jog
    1 min recovery jog
    2 miles easy

So I had two plans setting off today, plan A was to run 3 miles, then 14 @ PMP and 2 miles again. Alternatively, plan B was found by career_move (thanks CM ) which involved a 5-4-3-2-1 session suggested by Tergat in an old log at PMP pace with recoverys in between. Said I would see how I was after the first five PMP. After the first 5 my calves were at me so plan B became plan A fairly lively!!:D

These pace miles felt easier today that mid-week so that’s a good sign. But the last 3 miles at PMP were tough.

The run might not have been as beneficial as the one prescribed P&D but I felt like it was a great session for me. You know when it’s a good one when you feel it in the legs with a few miles to go.:cool:

Very good week’s work and a confidence builder to end the week. 1 more week then taper!!

Week Mileage Summary:

56m|117.6m|488.7m

Very solid session- nice going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's a great session Blockic, I wouldn't worry one but about the few minutes recovery jogs, they were nothing when taken as a % of the total run. I would imagine the difference between doing it that way and doing them all at once are fairly neglible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunday

3 miles easy
    3 min recovery jog
    3 min recovery jog
    2 min recovery jog
    1 min recovery jog
    2 miles easy

Week Mileage Summary:

56m|117.6m|488.7m

Good going j, how do you think you would have done without the recovery jogs?

My 20 miler next week will be 13 @ pmp but I hadn't thought of recovery piece in between

I sometimes find those recovery jogs can make the session harder. I find it tough breaking up the tempo and then to get going again. Great stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I sometimes find those recovery jogs can make the session harder. I find it tough breaking up the tempo and then to get going again. Great stuff anyway.

That's what I was thinking, I tend to be able to go on comfortably once I settle into a tempo, not so sure I would like the breaks.

Unless your thinking of the water stops blocky???

Gavlor wrote: »
    Good going j, how do you think you would have done without the recovery jogs?

My 20 miler next week will be 13 @ pmp but I hadn't thought of recovery piece in between

The recovery jogs allowed me to break up the session into little blocks I felt, So after doing 4 miles, I was thinking only one before the jog instead of only 10 more! :eek: I was like that for all the mini blocks. It's difficult on your own to hit these numbers over a long distance and I'd say without the recoveries I would have been struggling after PMP mile 8 or 9. This allowed me to get the session done, but with a little less stress. Mentally I was not in the mood for such a tough session either so I was really happy with the results.

Edit: Just saw you mention the water stops, yep, that was also part of it to get used it it for Rotterdam. Although I only took water on board on 2 of the recoveries.

Sunday

3 miles easy
    3 min recovery jog
    3 min recovery jog
    2 min recovery jog
    1 min recovery jog
    2 miles easy

Week Mileage Summary:

56m|117.6m|488.7m

J, that's a super session, I'm rather jealous of your pmp miles. Just amazing! You're in great form and going from strength to strength.

The Tergeat posts are great, guy is a legend, following his stuff will do u the world of good.

Super run today, makes me wish I took up running 14/15 yrs ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

81 should see a sub 3 with endurance. If 5 people from sane hotel gave a hotel worker 20 euro each to hand you a bag twice in a race at 2 certain spots it's a 100 euro for the worker. Plus bottle of drink and bottle of water at 2 spots. Worth thinking bout it.

Also Pm me if you ever fancy a run in the home of hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

great session J, its probably tougher to get the legs back up to MP after the recovery so it will definitely stand to you on Marathon day.

Have a bit of catching up to do!

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 9:02 average pace

After a good non-running session on Sunday night I was out bright and early for this one before hitting the airport. Was lovely and sunny so headed to the local GAA pitch down home for a few laps.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
    Rest

Was on the continent this week for work and unfortunately could not get any runs in. :( It was so rural there was no such thing as gyms in the hotels which were something out of the 70’s! My muscles were very stiff one morning when I woke up! Legs not used to not running!! :rolleyes: Fortunately if it all works out this week I should only miss the one run.

Friday
    Run 1: 12 miles MSR / 7:32 average pace

Managed to get a couple hours off work so I managed to get my MSR in during the day. This was good, but the weather was horrendous!! :eek: Half the run was against a strong gusty head wind and stinging rain! Felt like I was going nowhere at times! I had considered putting some PMP miles into this but decided against it considering the conditions!

Run 2: 4.1 miles recovery / 8:48 average pace

Hopped back out again this evening for a recovery run around a somewhat calmer Kilkenny town. Nothing exciting. My new garmin 310XT did however arrive today! Like a kid at Christmas! :D Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Hope my wife's ok?
    Where'd you get the Garmin from? Thinking of updating the 305.

Hope my wife's ok?
    Where'd you get the Garmin from? Thinking of updating the 305.

Ah she's doing well, delighted with the break from ya! ;)

Got it from here

Belcarra posted it awhile back (nice one!) on the Garmin thread and it's the best deal I saw around the place. I don't like the display on the smaller garmin watches but this one is the same as the 205/305 which is the job! Had a 205 myself up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nice one on the Garmin blockic, was thinking of buying one of that site as my 405 is dead. What was the delivery charge to Ireland like?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nice one on the Garmin blockic, was thinking of buying one of that site as my 405 is dead. What was the delivery charge to Ireland like?

My buddies at parcel motel sorted out delivery to a uk address. :) Then picked it up my local parcel motel depot. Around a tenner it worked out for me i think so not too bad at all.

Saturday
    Run 1: 7 miles V02 Max / 7:25 average pace (incl. 6x600m @5k pace)

2 miles easy
    6 x 600m with 80 secs recovery jog (5:41, 5:39, 5:37, 5:37, 5:34, 5:32)
    2 miles easy/cool-down

New Garmin working well very similar to my old one! Wind still a pain in the....

Run 2: 4.1 miles recovery / 8:45 average pace

Groundhog day! Carbon copy of yesterday evenings run, same route an all!

Last big LSR tomorrow.

Nice 600's.

How many PMP's tomorrow?

Nice 600's.

How many PMP's tomorrow?

Zero! :) 3 hour run, pace won't be too much a concern. The aim is to run for the same amount of time that I will be racing for in 3 weeks time (maybe 2:58 to be exact. ;))!

3 more PMP mile runs in my plan. 2 on the midweek MSRs for the next couple of weeks and then also in the LSR next weekend. That should suffice.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    22 miles LSR / 8:11 average pace

So today was my last big LSR before Rotterdam and I kind of had a plan with what I wanted out of it.

1) I had doubled up on Friday and yesterday (incl. a speed session) in order to start today’s run on tired legs to replicate somewhat the conditions of second half/end of the marathon.

2) I wanted to run for the same amount of time that i will be racing in 3 weeks time.

I set off in a bitterly cold morning with an icy wind :eek: and was not really feeling it. My housemate joined me for the first 10 miles and I was well glad of it. About 6 miles in my legs were tiring big time so I guess part of my plan was working. After the 10 mile loop I popped back home for a couple mins to refuel with water and a bite of a banana, no gels for me.

I set back out and I pretty much had to grind the rest of the run out. Legs were hanging. The pace might have been a bit on the slow side than what I wanted but it wasn’t too much of a concern. Stopped at mile 15 to walk for 100m or so to simulate a water stop in the marathon. Kicked on again and done the last 3 miles on grass around a GAA pitch. The last mile I slowed to recovery pace to make sure I hit the 3 hour mark! ;)

Well and truely busted by the end of it. 22 miles in 3 hours exactly having ticked the 2 items above. Running on the tired legs was tough but should stand to me on marathon day.

Having 3 days ruled out this week, very happy with the mileage with 50 miles ran since Friday. Never did I think I would put in that sort of mileage. Krusty’s 100+ mile weeks are in my sight! :pac: no chance! :D

So all the hard work is practically done now, it’s taper time!!! Let the madness begin!:D

Week Mileage Summary:

5m|Rest|Rest|Rest|16.1m|11.1m|22m

54.2m|171.8m|542.9m

Advertisement