Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That is super running Blocky, I'd be on cloud 9 if I managed that distance in that time! Bring on the taper madness, I think you'll be ok, you'll still be doing plenty of miles as per Mr P and Mr D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Another interesting fact today, I weighed myself before and after my run.

I lost 1.1kg during the run, which was more that I expected tbh.

Went from 69.6kg to 68.5kg. Time to bring that back up! nom nom :D;)

Ideally, Once I keep under 70kg for the race i'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Another interesting fact today, I weighed myself before and after my run.

I lost 1.1kg during the run, which was more that I expected tbh.

Went from 69.6kg to 68.5kg. Time to bring that back up! nom nom :D;)

Ideally, Once I keep under 70kg for the race i'd be happy enough.

Just below 70 myself for the 1st time in 16 years :P

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just below 70 myself for the 1st time in 16 years :P

I'd call that perfect timing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Miles and KG's....:confused:.... You need to make up your mind what side of the fence you're are on ;):D... Great running over the last few days!

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Miles and KG's....:confused:.... You need to make up your mind what side of the fence you're are on ;):D

Ha, great minds, I was meant to comment myself on that. You're quick! Not my fault I'm special! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

70 is easy or at least 69.9 is = 11st

Monday
    Core Strengthening & Flexibility

Class 11/12

Between one thing and another I’ve missed these classes the last few weeks. Finally made it back and really enjoyed it. One more class and then I’ll leave it until after Rotterdam.

Tuesday
    8.2 miles V02 Max / 7:46 average pace (4x1200m @5k pace)

This felt like the toughest run in a while, headed out in the snow and it was really enjoyable for the first couple of miles, then I got down to the business. :eek: First 2 were ok, the third was iffy and the last rep was a struggle, I almost felt sick towards the end of it! The rep pace times probably reflect the story above!

2 miles easy
    4 x 1200m with 150 secs recovery walk/jog (5:44, 5:44, 5:45, 5:47)
    2.2 miles easy/cool down

Wednesday
    6 miles recovery / 8:37 average pace

Taper madness has well and truly started! :) Housemate is sick, so I have restricted her to the front room and it is off limits for me!! Then arrive into work today and the guy next to me is coming down with the flu too. :eek: I took matters into my own hands and booked a meeting room and camped in there by myself for the day! :D Can’t be taking any risks like! My daily routine now involves a 300% increase in hand washing and sanitizing!

The run was routine, popped straight out after work. Not so sure about a recovery run being so long but P&D is god for another couple of weeks before being cast to one side for the next adventure. For now, what P&D says, I do!

Good jaysus, 17 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thats fair going, there's alot of 5.xx's in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

(4x1200m @5k pace)

Fair going given the day that was in it.
    What time (not pace) did you do the 1200's in?

Have you thought about after the big race? Next big thing?

• Advertisement

Fair going given the day that was in it.
    What time (not pace) did you do the 1200's in?

Have you thought about after the big race? Next big thing?

Times were (4:15, 4:15, 4:16, 4:17)

Next big thing? No exact race yet, but planning a 5k goal race in May/June and a 10k goal race end June/July before heading back into another marathon cycle at the end of July.

What's your HM goal race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Times were (4:15, 4:15, 4:16, 4:17)

Weren't the times 5.45, 5.45, 5.46, 5.47? Surely then the 1200 times were 3.15, 3.15, 4.16, 4.17, given there was 2 1/2 mins rest? And that's savage time.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Weren't the times 5.45, 5.45, 5.46, 5.47? Surely then the 1200 times were 3.15, 3.15, 4.16, 4.17, given there was 2 1/2 mins rest? And that's savage time.

my head hurts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3:15 for 1200m would be 4:20/mile. I know he is good but.....

Exactly - something doesn't add up. 150s rest + 1200m time = split time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Exactly - something doesn't add up. 150s rest + 1200m time = split time.

I don't think the rests are counted.
    4:15/1200m = 5:45/mile pace.

Ah so the 5.45 is pace not split? Gotcha. Confusion reigns? My work is done...

Sorry to bring in that bit of confusion :-)

4:15 is super splits - especially in that weather. Great going.

And if you think I'm going to tell you my HM goal race, you have another thing coming.
    I'm going to do all my goal races while you're on holidays or something.............. :-)

No, seriously, doing a HM in Clontarf on July 13th. If its a good day its a fast course as its flat - if its windy, then forget it as its along the coast.

We must also do that 5k that Tang was talking about - think thats in May in Meath??

Ah so the 5.45 is pace not split? Gotcha. Confusion reigns? My work is done...

Get back to kilometer korner you! !! :D if ya read the thing I said rep pace!!

Always report my reps as pace. Consistency is key, not only in running :)

I'm really doing 4:20 mile pace just keeping it on the DL :pac:

We must also do that 5k that Tang was talking about - think thats in May in Meath??

Yep, I think that's the one I have down. I have a race sticker on my calendar for May 21st so that must be it.

Ah I'll leave ya off for that HM unless my time looks to be under threat! ;)

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Rest

Nice to have a night off, plenty foam rolling done. I did of course still eat pretty much everything in sight including a 2 person dinner all to myself and 3 hot cross buns! I didn’t even run! :eek: Need to hold off all this eating for the next couple of weeks!

Friday
    2 x 5km Time Trial (9.9 miles total)
    TT1: 19:33
    TT2: 18:11

Might need a cup of tea for this! :pac:

This session ended up being completely different to what I intended starting out!:rolleyes:

P&D has a 10km tune up race this weekend on the schedule but could not find any that suited. So I had intended to do a 10km time trial instead today by myself. I had checked strava (like garmin connect) last night to see the distance of the Carrigaline-Crosshaven walkway as I felt it would suit as it’s flat and close to home. Just under 3 miles total which suited perfect so I would head to Crosshaven and then back again to make up the 10k.

While looking at the route I also found myself a little challenge!:D I was suprised to see our very own bazman was around these parts and was top of the pile for the route leaderboard with 18:30 for 2.9 miles (merely a light jog for him!). Super I thought, this might be the only ever chance I will get to be ahead of bazman in anything, so was raring to go!:)

Finished work at 3 and drove 2 hours to Cork and got straight down to business.

Started off with a 1.5 mile warm up and some stretches. Then kicked off. I pretty soon realised that this would not be pretty. The path is all along an estuary and a strong head wind was giving be severe grief. :eek: Powered through the first couple of miles but then started to slow down, the effort was way more than the time showed. I kept telling myself once I got to halfway and turn back I would be flying it with a tailwind. At this stage also I feared my attempt to knock bazman off the top was well and truely gone. The conditions were not suiting me. I grinded the last half mile but when I got to the half way mark to turn back I just had to stop. The headwind had me busted. :( The 5km split of 19:33 shows how much it impacted me. That would be no bother to me in calm conditions.

Took a couple of mins to get my breath back and with the 10km TT out the window I re-adjusted to a 2 x 5km TT. Off I went on the second one with the wind at my back. Felt much more comfortable and didn’t look at the watch just tried to push myself. Found this second one much easier in a time of 18:11. I find it hard to give it everything when I’m not racing and I definitely like to think I’d take another 20 seconds off this in a race. Finished off with a 2 mile warm down with a little miscalculation bringing my total to 9.9miles instead of 10!:rolleyes:

Would have liked to do the 10km TT straight but sometimes ya need to readjust your plan on the move! Not a bad session really. Loaded up my Garmin when I got home to see I recorded 18:25 for the segment (even with the wind!) to knock bazman off the top!:D I’ve print screened the page to be framed on my bedroom wall! ;) At least something went to plan anyway!

Golf tonight on TV and a proper round in the morning, first in ages! Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Whats the story with the 18.11, does that mean you have beaten auld man RunningKing in the 5k PB Smackdown??

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the 18.11, does that mean you have beaten auld man RunningKing in the 5k PB Smackdown??

Stir, Stir, Stir! :D Nah, not considering that time at all. It's an unofficial PB by 33 seconds but tailwind makes it look better than it was.

I'll wait for 21st May to go sub 18 in his presence! More satisfaction that way! ;)

Always the honest gentleman J, be bringing it up as often as possible with him though that you ran 18.11 in training:D:D Where you golfing tomorrow?? Have played a few courses in the Rebel county.

that sounds like my kind of session, finally me and p&d agree on something!!

I'm gonna do that next week

Always the honest gentleman J, be bringing it up as often as possible with him though that you ran 18.11 in training:D:D Where you golfing tomorrow?? Have played a few courses in the Rebel county.

Hitting Waterrock tomorrow, nice little course, been a while though so not sure what the condition is like these days. Used to be good anyway! I however will not be good! Rusty!

Hitting Waterrock tomorrow, nice little course, been a while though so not sure what the condition is like these days. Used to be good anyway! I however will not be good! Rusty!

Wish i was joining you, played Monkstown down that way a few years ago, thought it was lovely, very well looked after.

Cough.............

auld man RunningKing

Love that!

• Advertisement

Maybe you need to spend more time on your Golf and less on running. I'm sure there are numerous training plans that you can choose from. Some even go as high as 54 (holes). That running lark is over rated.

Advertisement