Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

tang1 wrote: »
    Wish i was joining you, played Monkstown down that way a few years ago, thought it was lovely, very well looked after.

+1 to that. I dread to think what my golf is like now. Monkstown is a beauty tang. Was there a couple of years ago. A guy i know was playing senior cup down there, was down for support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Saturday
    4.2 miles recovery / 8:45 average pace

Didn’t get out for this one until 9pm last night as I’d golf in the morning (frozen, but surprised myself with a respectable 34pts including a 9 at the last!! :eek: Bottler!) then had to go shopping. Done this in the local town where it was floodlit. The wind and I at this stage are becoming arch rivals. Seriously wrecking my head, seems to follow me around so no matter which way I run it’s a head wind. :mad:

Sunday
    16 miles LSR / 7:23 average pace (incl. 6m @PMP)

Was supposed to run this at 9am but woke up to storm like weather, I was planning to run with a neighbour so said we would wait until 10 to see if it eased off. It didn’t. We were going to the marina and it would have been pointless and totally exposed to the gale (as ncmc later found out!) so we decided to leave it off and see how the weather was.

I was tempted to leave it until tomorrow, but when I saw that tomorrow will be similar weather wise and with Gavlor giving me abuse, I considered changing to this afternoon. The final straw was when ncmc said she was out doing 12PMP miles in it, I got some badly needed HTFU and headed out in the elements! Well if she can do it.....:D;)

I ran by myself locally in the end and the route was not best for PMP miles :rolleyes:, but too late to change now! Done 6 easy miles then kicked off the PMP, 2 significant uphill miles to start but managed to keep below 7m/mile, the rest were flat/downhill. I initial planned for 3m/recovery mile/ 3m but at the end of the first stint I felt strong so knocked out the 6 straight. 4 easy miles to finish but I couldn’t wait to get home for tea and easter egg! A good session running wise but horrible in regard to the cold, damp, wet, windy, horrid, miserable weather!:( Glad I done it.

6 miles easy
    6 miles @ PMP (6:54, 6:57, 6:35, 6:42, 6:44, 6:37)
    4 miles easy

Boy was the tea/ easter egg nice afterwards!! Thanks to ncmc and Gavlor, otherwise I’d still have my LSR hanging over me. Enjoy yours tomorrow Gavlor!:)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|8.2m|6m|Rest|9.9m|4.2m|16m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    44.3m|216.1m|587.2m

Month|Runs|Mileage
    January|22/31|174.2
    February|22/28|196.9
    March|24/31|216.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Nice milage totals.
    Cant wait for my 1st baselayer free run this year!!

Amazing how Boards gives you the virtual kick up the Ar$e when you need it!!

Nice milage totals.
    Cant wait for my 1st baselayer free run this year!!

Amazing how Boards gives you the virtual kick up the Ar$e when you need it!!

Stop, My baselayers have been seriously overused!

And without boards I would probably be on my 4th easter egg right about now :o and would have no run done!! That's what makes it great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Stop, My baselayers have been seriously overused!

And without boards I would probably be on my 4th easter egg right about now :o and would have no run done!! That's what makes it great!!

Don't go knocking easter eggs!!

I'm looking forward to my 20 I'm the morning, no pmp miles and I have a running buddy for it. Going to be a cold one again, sick of this weather.

As my daughter said, it's a nice winter that we're getting this spring!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

You have a trojan amount of good work done, but sessions like your LSR today are the one's that count, and that you draw on, after 20 miles on race day. As much for training the mind as training the body.
    You probably can't wait for it now?

You have a trojan amount of good work done, but sessions like your LSR today are the one's that count, and that you draw on, after 20 miles on race day. As much for training the mind as training the body.
    You probably can't wait for it now?

Thanks TBW, it certainly felt good after I had done it!:) Yup, wish it was tomorrow at this stage. Just want to do it!! Plus taper is full of the usual nonsense thoughts of have I done enough? Have I done too much? Am I over tapering/under tapering? I better not get sick!

All in the mind of course. But sure things would be boring otherwise!

Thanks TBW, it certainly felt good after I had done it!:) Yup, wish it was tomorrow at this stage. Just want to do it!! Plus taper is full of the usual nonsense thoughts of have I done enough? Have I done too much? Am I over tapering/under tapering? I better not get sick!

All in the mind of course. But sure things would be boring otherwise!

When you start having doubts i'd recommend reading you log from the beginning. If the level of effort and improvement doesn't fill you with confidence nothing will.

Monday
    Rest

Took it easy on the bank holiday, played a few holes of golf in the afternoon, bloody wind affects my running and my golf now! No escaping!:mad:

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:56 average pace

This run was supposed to be a handy one, it wasn’t. Legs felt stiff and heavy, not good and I just wanted it to be over and moved on! Seems I’m stiffening up with the reduced mileage! :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    8.5 miles easy / 7:23 average pace (incl. 4m @PMP)

Enjoyed this one. Complete opposite to Tuesday. When I started PMP miles on this plan I found one to be tough going, now I’m feeling them (dare I say it) fairly manageable. Comfortable may be too strong a word for the moment!

2 miles easy
    4 miles @PMP (6:46, 6:47, 6:35, 6:47)
    2.5 miles easy

Thursday, Friday
    Physio /Rest

Went to physio for a pre race loosening out on Thursday and let’s just say I’ve discovered new muscle groups that I never thought I had!! :eek: Was ok for the most part but one such area was agony!!! No pain, no gain! I told him to take is easy too! I think that comment just added fuel to the flames! :)

As mentioned on Krusty’s and the DCM2012 thread, I’ve put on a bit of weight during taper. Was 69.5kg going in and peaked at 71.4kg about a week ago (lower mileage vs. same food intake). As of Friday I was 70.9kg. Really want to get under the 70 for race day so following on from Krusty’s food log post which I found interesting I started logging my own the last few days. It’s fairly insightful in terms of calorie, protein and fat intake so far and It really highlights pretty fast what the issues are! Going to keep it up for a while anyway and see how it goes! Have an 1,800 calorie surplus today after my run! :cool:

Saturday
    12 miles MSR / 7:18 average pace (incl. 5km race)

So today was my last planned MSR but I found out that there was a C25K fun run passing my door this morning so I couldn’t resist (rarely is there a race here!) The plan was to do a few miles, run the race at PMP and then run the remaining few miles easy.

What happened was slightly different. :rolleyes: It was a glorious morning down here but I looked cold heading out so I put on gloves/hat/baselayer and hit the road. It was about a mile to registration so I jogged down, registered. I soon stripped off to just a t-shirt as it was roasting! Done 3 more easy miles before the race.

It’s a really small AC club based in the local GAA pitch (About 40 members) and as I’m rarely down home midweek I’ve opted not to join as a member and go for a bigger club in Kilkenny after Rotterdam. Anyway, the local club is trying to build back up again after It died a few years back and they have just completed their first C25k program (getting 30 local people out running for the first time which is great, everyone knows everyone around here!). I felt obliged to support the run today as it was a fund raiser to get the kids club back up and going!

Lining up I could see I was a contender (about 3-4 racers and the rest C25kers) but I tried to resist racing it. Off we went and I was soon in the top 3 and going off way too fast to what was planned. :rolleyes: After the first mile a lad pushed on a bit and I left him off. This WAS NOT my goal race I kept telling myself but at the same time I couldn’t slow down to PMP as It would have felt like a jog! Anyway over the next mile I saw the gap increasing and I was happy for it to. But in the final mile the gap narrowed to about 10-15 seconds and I could have kicked to make a race of it but I didn’t bother. I’ll save it for next Sunday! Finished second dipping under the 18min mark but I won’t be counting it as it was just a local run fun and the profile was very generous, virtually all downhill!. I’ll wait for a chipped race.

So a bit bold to go a lot faster than planned but I felt good at the time. I reckon I was at about 85-90% effort and the times look better that what they actually are as it was considerably downhill. Hope that doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass next week! The legs feel completely fine after it.

The other runners went off for cake and I went for 5 more miles. No fun!!! :( Loved running in just a t-shirt though (and shorts to clarify for dirty minded folk :P) for the first time this year, refreshing!

4.3 miles easy
    3 miles (5:54, 5:46, 5:49)
    4.7 miles easy

3 miles well under 6m/miles is great going in any body's books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Loved running in just a t-shirt though (and shorts to clarify for dirty minded folk :P) for the first time this year, refreshing!

Maybe if you ate a bit more you wouldn't have felt the cold so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

3 miles well under 6m/miles is great going in any body's books.

Second that, if you dont go mad on the hooch after Rotterdam you'll put some serious times in during the summer.

Can't believe you tuned down a win having gone so far!!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Can't believe you tuned down a win having gone so far!!!

Didn't bother me really. Only a local fun run. Next Sunday will be my win! :cool:

Didn't bother me really. Only a local fun run. Next Sunday will be my win! :cool:

Yeah but next Sunday is already in the bag ;)

Yeah but next Sunday is already in the bag ;)

Where is the nearest wood so I can touch it, some fecker, no pressure so!! :)

Where is the nearest wood so I can touch it, some fecker, no pressure so!! :)

If you don't start believing it'll happen then.....

If you don't start believing it'll happen then.....

It'll happen. If all the stars align that is!

There is always a risk that things could happen that are outside your control though. But everything in my control are well set so that's all ya can do!

Sunday
    5 miles recovery / 9:05 average pace

Nothing exciting here other than the weather was pretty nasty but was determined to keep this very easy after yesterdays exploits. Returned back to see the last few minutes of Munster’s victory in the premier european rugby competition!! :cool:;)

Big drop in mileage this week and only 4 days running, I don’t know what to do with the spare time, feels weird!! :confused: Another easy week next week!! ;)

The time is almost upon us...:)

Week Mileage Summary:

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|6m|8.5m|Rest|Rest|12m|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    31.5m|31.5m|618.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck on Sunday J...you have the work done so go get your Rewards!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm sure you're cracking up and just dying to get to the start line, very best of luck. Mr S will hopefully be in touch later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Yowzer. Didn't realise it was this Sunday. Over 600 miles in 3 months is some mileage.

Probably because I'm a relative noob to logging, and there hasn't been many marathons since DCM but this is definitely the most eagerly anticipated race report from Boards for me. Probably not as eager as you are to just get the f**k going, but very eager none the less.

Well, best of luck lad in case I dont' check in with you before then. I hope you smash that 3hr goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Digits crossed for you. The work is done! Best of luck. :)

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm sure you're cracking up and just dying to get to the start line

Affirmative! :D Hope all is well on your side!
    guinang wrote: »
    Probably because I'm a relative noob to logging, and there hasn't been many marathons since DCM but this is definitely the most eagerly anticipated race report from Boards for me. Probably not as eager as you are to just get the f**k going, but very eager none the less.

So not only do I have to perform on the road but also have to bang out a top-notch report! :eek: ..No pressure then! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

U better believe it! Can't wait to read all about it! (Emily sande eat ur heart out, was singing that line there! Lol!)
    Best of luck, u will fly around it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So not only do I have to perform on the road but also have to bang out a top-notch report! :eek: ..No pressure then! ;)

If you have to stop to "perform" that may feck up your time. ;)

If you have to stop to "perform" that may feck up your time. ;)

I can always trust you to lower the tone!! :D;)

When is your flight?

I'll wait till Saturday to give you a bit of 'motovation' ;)

Let me know if u want a hand with that Gav...........

• Advertisement

When is your flight?

I'll wait till Saturday to give you a bit of 'motovation' ;)

Saturday Morning the mission begins. But I'll have my pre race rant don't worry! ;)

May I just make you aware that I will be in Limerick on May 5th to return the favour! :pac:

Advertisement